Preview Rnd 6 - Carlton v Hawthorn Sunday April 28th 3.20PM @ UTAS - Team Post #1331

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr_Plow

That name again...
May 18, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Red Wings
:carlton:V:hawthorn:

Carlton vs Hawthorn @ UTAS
Round 6 - Sunday 28th April, 3.20pm AEST
Live on FTA at 3pm on 7

Recent encounters:

Rd 18, 2018: Carl 52 - Haw 124, L
Rd 22 2017: Carl 77 - Haw 70, W
Rd 19 2016: Haw 74 - Carl 55, L

These pompous *ers.

What’s new in 2019 for Hawthorn?

They’ve gone out and traded one of their genuinely talented youngsters in Burton for Wingard. Then they did a sketchy under the table deal to get Scully for peanuts. Annoying. They also got Scrimshaw on the cheap, but I couldn’t care less.

Puopolo and Breust are still running around and will cause us issues, as usual. Thankfully, they are likely to be missing Burgoyne and Frawley because of hamstring injuries, which helps. They do, however, likely regain Shiels into the midfield.

They’ve won a few matches, but they don’t exactly strike fear into me as an opponent. We, on the other hand, have yet to win a match (as of writing this), but are trending upwards with a healthy list and on track to make significant inroads as the season progresses.

Key matchups:

Defence:

Weitering vs Roughead: Pretty confident that the young star can curtail the influence of the geriatric forward.

Jones vs Gunston: Liam is in tremendous form and I back him against either of the above, especially if the midfielders can apply pressure.

Not sure who plays on M. Lewis if he is named, he’s a bloody big ball of meat. Marchbank may be more suited to Gunston as the athletic running defender with Jones playing on M. Lewis. I think we’ve got their talls covered.

Wingard, Breust and Puopolo: * me. We’ve got our work cut out here with these guys. Newman probably gets the job on the least athletic of them, which is likely Breust. That has the potential to be a devastating matchup. Plowman will do his best to sit on Wingard, bless him. Then Thomas will attempt to try defending Puopolo.

I am genuinely worried.

Forward:

We should be able to cause serious issues aerially here.

C. Curnow, McKay, McGovern vs Brand, Stratton, Sicily?

Expecting Brand to play on McKay, perhaps Stratton on C. Curnow. Does Sicily take McGovern? That is a really good matchup for us. They all are, really.

Hardwick and Impey will handle our smalls, unless Cuningham comes in, who will smash them both. The two aforementioned defenders will also run it out of our forward line frequently, again, unless Cuningham plays (pls be ready).

Midfield:

Where the game will be won or lost; we won’t be outmuscled against this mob, but we may get cut upon with superior structure, as we did in the practice match.

Cripps vs O’Meara: head to head, Cripps is better, quite simple. O’Meara is good too, no disrespect, but he’s no Cripps.

Dow vs Worpel: Two young guys with burst speed, contested ball winning ability and inconsistent foot skills. Worpel’s physical development is more advanced at this stage, shapes to be a good contest overall.

Walsh vs I. Smith: Huge engines, great footskills and will be relied upon to kick the ball inside 50 a lot. Should be a ripper.

SPS, Fisher, Murphy, LOB (or Cuningham, Williamson, Silvagni, depending on who is available and how we structure) vs Scully, Henderson, Morrison, Shiels, Cousins: We’ve got the young talent, by my eye, but they’ve got the experience and structure.

My changes, at this stage:

In: Cuningham, Williamson
Out: LOB, Polson

Need the footskills, speed and ball movement of Cunners and Willo, ASAP, desperately.

I’d like to fit in Kennedy, for sure, but I don’t know whether there is a requirement for it against Hawthorn and it will depend on the performances of a few currently in the side. Stocker is also applying serious pressure in the reserves, and those smalls/mediums in defence would want to raise their standard pretty quickly. Lang seems another week or so away. Macreadie building beautifully.

Verdict: Carlton by 17 points.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Don't want to change a winning team too much and 3 goals by Levi, and a couple easy opportunities burnt, suggest he should stay. Charlie to play a game through the 2s. I would, however, make a couple of changes depending on match fitness of players returning from injury:

Out: L'Ob, Polson
In: Williamson, Lang/Cuningham

Let Willo play wing, if he's fit, and one of Lang or Cunners to take over Polsons small forward spot.

SterlingArcher

Brownlow Medallist
May 16, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
A lot of disrespect to Sicily in the OP. He's a gun and I'd expect him to beat McGovern. Rarely beaten and he'll save more goals than can be kicked on him.

I'd probably look at putting Polson and O'Brien back, just don't rate Polson and O'Brien is talented but a pre-season off it. For a well coached side like Hawthorn that will attempt to expose the weaknesses of each of our players, I think they'll be the 2 easiest to exploit.

Not sure who to bring in yet. Guess Williamson and Curnow would be the two obvious selections, but do get the keep Cas but don't play 4 KF's crowd.

Mr_Plow

That name again...
May 18, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Red Wings
A lot of disrespect to Sicily in the OP. He's a gun and I'd expect him to beat McGovern. Rarely beaten and he'll save more goals than can be kicked on him.

I'd probably look at putting Polson and O'Brien back, just don't rate Polson and O'Brien is talented but a pre-season off it. For a well coached side like Hawthorn that will attempt to expose the weaknesses of each of our players, I think they'll be the 2 easiest to exploit.

Not sure who to bring in yet. Guess Williamson and Curnow would be the two obvious selections, but do get the keep Cas but don't play 4 KF's crowd.

Fit McGovern takes Sicily every day of the week, IMO. Sicily is great overhead when coming across, but I don't remember him being strong defending the lead or body on body?

SterlingArcher

Brownlow Medallist
May 16, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Fit McGovern takes Sicily every day of the week, IMO. Sicily is great overhead when coming across, but I don't remember him being strong defending the lead or body on body?

He's an AA level defender. He'll be fine against a decent but ultimately 3rd forward. Mitch will be best used by taking away Sicily from the contests and letting McKay mark.

Mr_Plow

That name again...
May 18, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Red Wings
Why do people want to make changes after a great win? Not sure that sends a good message

It's a brutal business Soapy, no room for complacency after a win. Get your best team out there to win games of football.

This means Williamson and Cuningham replace LOB and Polson shortly.

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
It's a brutal business Soapy, no room for complacency after a win. Get your best team out there to win games of football.

This means Williamson and Cuningham replace LOB and Polson shortly.

Not IMO.

It's the sum of all parts and the combinations and roles. Form and wins dictate not names or reputations

PS Do people really expect Williamson to come in next week???? He's a minimum 2-3 weeks away

Red Bull

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 29, 2010
mornington peninsula
AFL Club
Carlton
In : Cuningham Curnow Williamson
Out : Polson Casboult O’Brien

Simpson Jones Marchbank
Plowman Weitering Newman
Walsh Cripps Murphy
Silvagni Curnow Cuningham
Fisher McKay McGovern

Kreuzer Curnow SPS

Thomas Dow Gibbons Williamson

* Kennedy coming off 30 possessions
* Setterfield due back the next week
* Stocker and Lang hovering
Play well Ed ...

Mr_Plow

That name again...
May 18, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Red Wings
Not IMO.

It's the sum of all parts and the combinations and roles. Form and wins dictate not names or reputations

PS Do people really expect Williamson to come in next week???? He's a minimum 2-3 weeks away

He's at most 1 week away, IMO. Played a full game despite calf cramp, that tells me Russell is super confident with where he is at in terms of conditioning.

Having watched Williamson play the way he did, he'd be tempting to bring in, but that's easy for me to say.
He did though play out the game and I have to give credit to the club for brining in players, even at reserves level, where they can actually play out most of the game, rather than this gradual bump up of minutes over the course of a few weeks.

Selections always have to have the upcoming win in mind and not simply because a team won on the day.
If all were fit, I'd bring in CCurnow, Docherty, Williamson, Cuningham and Pickett. Just keep striving to get the best and most flexible team onto the park.
One win against an ordinary opponent doesn't amount to much if you can't back it up and especially so if you choose to blind yourself for the win.

Jan 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Charlie comes in for Casboult.

Don't know if Cunners will be ready. If he is then he replaces Polson. If not, then Polson very luckily gets another chance.

LOB stays as his running will be needed on the outside against Hawks. Prepared to give him some patience and get his confidence up in the 1's.

Even though the form isn't there with the above 2, we need to keep some run and pace in the team.

Willo another one in the 2's i would think. No rush. Halfbacks are going reasonable until the jet is ready.

Aug 17, 2016
GOLD COAST
AFL Club
Carlton
Having watched Williamson play the way he did, he'd be tempting to bring in, but that's easy for me to say.
He did though play out the game and I have to give credit to the club for brining in players, even at reserves level, where they can actually play out most of the game, rather than this gradual bump up of minutes over the course of a few weeks.

Selections always have to have the upcoming win in mind and not simply because a team won on the day.
If all were fit, I'd bring in CCurnow, Docherty, Williamson, Cuningham and Pickett. Just keep striving to get the best and most flexible team onto the park.
One win against an ordinary opponent doesn't amount to much if you can't back it up and especially so if you choose to blind yourself for the win.
Pickett is a long way out at this stage....really not much to follow from here.
More interest in Lang,Cunno,Willo,Doc return,.....C.Curnow
Gibbons looks like he can take a spot in the 22 :thumbsu:

Pickett....showed almost nothing even before his wrist injury ,subsequent weight regain episode no.2 then the knee injury after a preseason reshuffle..
He was quick once but that may change...he had obvious issues with applying himself and keeping fit etc...i would be surprised to see him on out list next year
he is a number 4 pick ..however we have seen similar scenarios with KJ etc...

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Stay as unchanged as possible.

Give Charlie one more week off to get cherry ripe. Have to reward Cas for that effort.

LOB needs a spell. Need to be patient with this kid. He will be a slow burn. May even need a year of VFL to build up his body and confidence. Doesn't look comfortable at AFL level yet.

Polson simply doesn't do enough yet unfortunately. Go work on your game in the twos.

Out- LOB Polson
In- Cunners Kennedy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back