AFL Player #15: Jayden Laverde

Remove this Banner Ad

If pressure is the reason why you don't want Laverde in, then you can use the same argument to take Baguley out. Baguley doesn't pressure. At least Laverde doesn't give away silly free kicks.

The only reason why I wouldn't put him in is the short turnaround. I don't think it's a good idea to bring him in after a 5 day break considering his injury history. But hey, we put Daniher.

I’ve been posting to drop Baguley, just don’t think Laverde is the right replacement.

So on an offish day, first game back and not 100% kicks a lazy 6 goals.

Can think of many excuses but it’s clear he isn’t VFL standard, I’m confident if not with us he can be a best 22 player at many clubs if he can get a fair crack with his body.

I’ve been posting to drop Baguley, just don’t think Laverde is the right replacement.
Baguley plays forward. Laverde is the best forward we have in the VFL. We have no other player that would replace Baguley unless we're going to play Guelfi there (which I don't want).

That said, I think the 5-day turnaround will work against him.

Just kicked 6.2 (1 oof) against North in the VFL.

There will obviously be a temptation to bring him in for ANZAC day but I would be hesitant.

He was not covering the ground well and tired quickly, so it would be strange to see him play with a 5 day turn around.

If it happens, great, but don't expect much from him. In an ideal world he needs another run though I am just as reluctant to give Baguley 1 more opportunity to do something (making him undroppable for the next 5 weeks).

If Laverde is fit he should play but not because he was great in kicking 6.2. I reckon his performance was a 6/10. If he plays it's because we're just going to start the run of games we need to give him and I would urge patience.
Baguley did enough to suggest a rest is needed, and it's time to play a kid.
6 goals should be rewarded

I'd be naming him to replace bags and play the same role. Negate, block, compete.
1 or 2 goals is a pass mark. But tackles and marks are key

Daniher, Brown, Laverde and Stringer? Too tall. Laverde doesn’t bring enough pressure

Baguley’s role is to bring forward pressure. He did it well in some games last season, not so good this year. Far from bs role. Ham and Guelfi should now take over
Walker, Jenkins, Lynch, McGovern was the highest scoring team in the league in 2017.

Vardy, Kennedy, Darling and Yeo (191cm) won the flag last year.

The key is they are all mobile and can apply pressure. Brown, Stringer and even Joe to an extent we know can, Laverde is an unknown.
Although i agree with the sentiment that he cant supply less pressure than Bags did on friday.

Baguley plays forward. Laverde is the best forward we have in the VFL. We have no other player that would replace Baguley unless we're going to play Guelfi there (which I don't want).

That said, I think the 5-day turnaround will work against him.
Devon Smith in for Baguley
Zaharakis in for Ham

Walker, Jenkins, Lynch, McGovern was the highest scoring team in the league in 2017.

Vardy, Kennedy, Darling and Yeo (191cm) won the flag last year.

The key is they are all mobile and can apply pressure. Brown, Stringer and even Joe to an extent we know can, Laverde is an unknown.
Although i agree with the sentiment that he cant supply less pressure than Bags did on friday.
Yeo is a midfielder though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Daniher, Brown, Laverde and Stringer? Too tall. Laverde doesn’t bring enough pressure

Baguley’s role is to bring forward pressure. He did it well in some games last season, not so good this year. Far from bs role. Ham and Guelfi should now take over

I think we can get games into Ham as the pressure forward. He can also work really hard up the ground and then beat his man on a sprint back to the forward 50. He can also rotate through a wing to make room for Smith to play as a pressure forward for bursts.

6 goals in the twos, while the bloke he would replace had 6 clangers and zero/negative impact in the ones.

There’s not a chance he’d bring any less than what Bags would (any one remember last ANZAC Day game?) - bring him in.

Stringer and Laverde are as mobile as Baguely.
Not the point I was making.
He's even further from being fit enough than Laverde.

Solid first half but faded significantly in the second half (and I think it was his first full game since the knee reco).
Second game in the two's.

Laverde is a marking target fwd. completely different role to bags. Laverde is a replacement for Brown, Stringer. They aren’t going out. If you watched the VFL game against North you would see he brings little in the way of fwd pressure when the ball is coming out which gives the opposition mids/fwds better chances. Thats why bags stays in, he can put pressure on defenders to hamper delivery coming out of the fwd line.

With the urgency to have Laverde back in the side you'd swear we'd come off five losses in a row. Team is playing fine, let him build.

My urgency comes from the reality that the longer we let Baguley eat his own balls the closer he will get to playing a respectable game making him un-droppable for another 10 games. It's Murphy' law.

It's been a long time since we've had anything close to our best forwards available to play AFL. The moment they are fit they need to play to build a combination (which is probably even more important that the respective form of the individuals).

The only issue is that it's a week too soon for Laverde.

Laverde is a marking target fwd. completely different role to bags. Laverde is a replacement for Brown, Stringer. They aren’t going out. If you watched the VFL game against North you would see he brings little in the way of fwd pressure when the ball is coming out which gives the opposition mids/fwds better chances. Thats why bags stays in, he can put pressure on defenders to hamper delivery coming out of the fwd line.
Except he doesn't actually do that. For a bloke who's schtick is pressure, he has 14 tackles (not even in the top 100 of the AFL) and only 4 of them inside 50! Which has him tied for 59th btw. I wouldn't bring Laverde in but Baguley's role is to be a pressure forward that doesn't actually put on pressure or kick goals.

Except he doesn't actually do that. For a bloke who's schtick is pressure, he has 14 tackles (not even in the top 100 of the AFL) and only 4 of them inside 50! Which has him tied for 59th btw. I wouldn't bring Laverde in but Baguley's role is to be a pressure forward that doesn't actually put on pressure or kick goals.
Yep, agree, he could do it better. Just saying, Laverde is not replacing bags, someone else who can crumb goals off the marking fwds, and provide pressure to defensive players coming out of the fwd line (insert name) will replace bags.

Yep, agree, he could do it better. Just saying, Laverde is not replacing bags, someone else who can crumb goals off the marking fwds, and provide pressure to defensive players coming out of the fwd line (insert name) will replace bags.
I don't think Lav comes in right now either. However I just think Baguley's "role" is obsolete.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back