Religion Religions and rudeness.

Jun 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Your inferrence that you're stating facts is blatant.
You think people that believe in something are just doing it to validate their existence. Whereas you're above this.

If that's what you take from it then obviously I need to preface what I write in future with 'in my opinion...'

No biggie :)

EDIT: spelling

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
what's happiness if you're dead and you don't take your happiness with you?
you don't take your experiences with you
you don't take your materials with you

what was that happiness?

Happiness is a state of being. It's a state you attain when you are content, when others around you are more positive than negative. But what bring such a state around varies from one person to the next. Some actually gain enjoyment from the misery of others.

Of course you can't take these feelings and experieces with you when you die, or so I believe. Which is why the NOW is so important.

If you're miserable, change things if you're able.

Are you happy? Indifferent? Depressed? Can you self-examine and determine why?

skilts

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Feb 14, 2002
South-West Gippsland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lexton, Northcote Park
tell me what makes you happy ?
I'm sure you won't mind if I take this as a question meant generally, rather than specifically for Geelong Sicko. Everything I write is sometimes my opinion. Other times it's the opinion of others I've thought useful for the sake of argument (I call it stealing). Sometimes I acknowledge this theft, other times not. It depends on how the whim takes me.

First of all, why should the acquisition of happiness be the or even a determinant of a successful life for us? What is happiness, other than a mere transitory 'feeling'? It's not a thing in itself, though some think it to be an attainable state. One wonders if we ever really reach such a state of happiness. One further wonders whether, even if we did reach this state, we would recognise this tremendous occasion. If we do recognise a moment of happiness are we, unerringly, able to translate that into a state of happiness?

What made me happy when I was twenty y.o. no longer does . This is because, for instance, at 70 y.o., I am not physically capable of even attempting to do what once gave me pleasure back when. Waits for the ribald laughter to subside. I am no longer physically able to play footy or cricket, which gave me so much pleasure during my youth and later. So, it would seem that happiness is not a universal in our lives, and that it seems to be infinitely changeable, depending, among other things, on our current interests and capabilities.

Even transitory things, like our moods, have a profound effect on our happiness. From one moment to the next, we humans are infamous for our wanton changeability. Happiness is an elusive thing in itself. It's also a thing which is different for everyone. (In this rant, for the sake of argument, you'll note me making the inherent assumption that there exists such a thing as happiness.)

How do you define happiness? It seems to be difficult to put into words. Words which might provide the same definition for everyone. It seems that happiness is elusive, just about for everyone. Nobody is constantly, even most of the time, truly happy. Rather, even though it is regularly, obsessively, and occasionally to the exclusion of all else, so desperately sought, this provides no guarantee of its attainment. There is nothing deterministic about the possibility of owning this wonderful thing called, 'happiness'.

We recognise happiness as occurring at various stages of our lives, but not as a constant. This makes happiness a state which is transitory. It depends on circumstances which occur over time, short, long or medium as that might be.

To meet for the first time people who seem to be happy, is a great thing. It's not until you get to know them over time that you find out that they, like you, are at times less than ecstatic. It's an unavoidable way of being for us humans.

What if what makes us truly happy comes at the expense of another's happiness? Surely, given that we are hoping to be becoming moral beings, this option in pursuit of that all-pervasive happiness is not a path available to us.

This brings me to a perfectly inadequate attempt to answer your question, "... what makes you happy?" I don't know what it is to be happy, for all of us humans. I'm not even sure about what makes me happy. Happiness is such a movable and seemingly ill-defined concept to one as ill-qualified as I. The question becomes why would you depend on such a transitory, ill-defined mood to determine the way in which you value and/or conduct your existence.

Happiness seems to be a thing which is much-vaunted but rarely closely examined. When examined more closely, it is as hollow as my head and as deep as a kiddies' swimming pool. Barely worth a thought, because, while your luxuriating in that feeling, the rest of life, with all its unexpected vicissitudes, lies ignored, yet omnipresent. Happiness is certainly not the ground upon which one can base a life

I find what works for me is to be prepared to address every situation as it arises, in the best way I can. Oh, and I must be able to live with myself in regards to the quality of my thought, as determined by me, in that precious and often unrecognised moment before reflection (this moment also precedes action).

Sorry for all the (what may seem like) jargon, but the question you asked required some thought. Happiness would never be the only goal in my life. My life means more to me than that, and that meaning is exclusively mine.

Edit: Regarding your question about "meaningful connections", I recall experiences I've sometimes had with someone I love. That is to wake up in the morning, in another's arms, without any memory of how or when this intertwining took place. I found that to be a meaningful connection. Other meaningful connections can be experienced through sharing the beauties of a piece of music. Making love to someone who unequivocally and obviously loves you is another variation on the theme. (Here, I'm assuming that such a thing as 'love' exists).

Last edited:

TheHeatleyStand

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 28, 2003
Iceland
AFL Club
Carlton
I took you did a great job answering this

"happiness" is fluid and it is neither good or bad
it's neither right or wrong
it certainly is fleeting.. because you can't find happiness before sorrow comes your way?
and you can't know happiness without knowing sorrow.

I think happiness is over stated!

Stalin was happy murdering millions of Soviets!

someone else was happy buying a Ferrari with stolen laundered drug money

but they were still not always happy

TheHeatleyStand

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 28, 2003
Iceland
AFL Club
Carlton
I like/admire/love/respect them and enjoy their company immensely, not just an acquaintance relationship.
where do you find this move admiration and respect?

can we pinpoint where it comes from scientifically?

where did we find these metaphysical emotions?

is there a scientific explanation explanation that proves where they originate in humans?
this question is not only for you but to anybody?

what makes us connect with some people and not with others!?

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
where do you find this move admiration and respect?

can we pinpoint where it comes from scientifically?

where did we find these metaphysical emotions?

is there a scientific explanation explanation that proves where they originate in humans?
this question is not only for you but to anybody?

what makes us connect with some people and not with others!?
It's evolution, it's survival of the species.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/terms/emotion.htm

Emotion, in its most general definition, is a neural impulse that moves an organism to action, prompting automatic reactive behavior that has been adapted through evolution as a survival mechanism to meet a survival need.

Linda Davidoff defines emotion as a feeling that is expressed through physiological functions such as facial expressions, faster heartbeat, and behaviors such as aggression, crying, or covering the face with hands.
Based on discoveries made through neural mapping of the limbic system, the neurobiological explanation of human emotion is that emotion is a pleasant or unpleasant mental state organized in the limbic system of the mammalian brain.
Defined as such, these emotional states are specific manifestations of non-verbally expressed feelings of agreement, amusement, anger, certainty, control, disagreement, disgust, disliking, embarrassment, fear, guilt, happiness, hate, interest, liking, love, sadness, shame, surprise, and uncertainty.
If distinguished from reactive responses of reptiles, emotions would then be mammalian elaborations of general vertebrate arousal patterns, in which neurochemicals (e.g., dopamine, noradrenaline, and serotonin) step-up or step-down the brain's activity level, as visible in body movements, gestures, and postures.
In mammals, primates, and human beings, feelings are displayed as emotion cues.
For example, the human emotion of love is proposed to have evolved from paleocircuits of the mammalian brain (specifically, modules of the cingulated gyrus) designed for the care, feeding, and grooming of offspring.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3600914/

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
that's a proposal not a scientific law

i.e it's unproven

therefore not scientific!

I asked for scientific

not a slab of cut and paste that doesn't prove anything except someone's unproven proposal
If you could put up your theory with linked peer reviewed science that would be appreciated.

TheHeatleyStand

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 28, 2003
Iceland
AFL Club
Carlton
I don't need to because I'm going with faith in God
you're going on unproven faith in science narratives which means it's not science

science is about proof.. using scientific and mathematical methodology to prove

unfortunately for you.. if you can't back it up with scientific methodology it's just a theory

therefore not true science and not proven

I'm not sure you're following

God doesn't have to be proven because he's faith based

science does!

there's nothing else!

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
I don't need to because I'm going with faith in God
you're going on unproven faith in science narratives which means it's not science

science is about proof.. using scientific and mathematical methodology to prove

unfortunately for you.. if you can't back it up with scientific methodology it's just a theory

therefore not true science and not proven

I'm not sure you're following

God doesn't have to be proven because he's faith based

science does!

there's nothing else!
In other words you believe in the god of the gaps principle, much like people from long long ago eg. they couldn't explain natural phenomena like earthquakes, floods, plagues, lightning etc.. so they concluded that the gods must be angry.

The gap for god to fit into is getting smaller and smaller. Unlike believers science admits when they don't know and puts up hypotheses and later scientific theories for peer review. Religion claim they know but offer no proof, they just say trust me.

Faith- strong belief in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual conviction rather than proof.

TheHeatleyStand

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 28, 2003
Iceland
AFL Club
Carlton
I believe in God because I look at your belief that can't be proven
and mine soundd more logical

if you believe God doesn't exist and you believe in science you need to prove it

and it's not a gap lol

let's take the big bang theory ( not the big bang law)
if science is underlined by cause and effect.. so the effect is the bang created the universe you must also provide proof of the cause!

what caused the bang before there was nothing

that's not a gap!
that's a fundamental scientific flaw in the argument

lol

you do understand this right?

no scientist can explain this and many quantum physicists believe this proves God

don't take my word for it.. take theirs

gaps? pfffft
funny!

TheHeatleyStand

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 28, 2003
Iceland
AFL Club
Carlton
if you can't prove the Infinite Nature of the universe being finite
therefore no beginning or end can be proved then you're basing your belief in not science

furthermore if something created the big bang and it went bang and gave us light!
let there be light!

abstract intelligence to give us faith might suggest it was God!.
because the laws of science is cause creates effect!

and if you can't prove the cause we can believe that a super ego that created the mathematical calculus to provide the whole of the universe and everything in it to be created and to work so perfectly

mathematics cannot put all of the equation in a super computer and create the universe randomly materialising with a heap of accidents

that you're an accidental and everything you know and see and don't know is also accidental so that everything in not just the galaxy but the whole universe can function like a Swiss watch

and that somehow you happen to belong to all this randomly

I mean.. you can believe whatever you want but you're no more intelligent than me.. because your belief is not based on something that can be proven

it's your own blind faith

maybe philosophy and logic is difficult.?

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
I believe in God because I look at your belief that can't be proven
and mine soundd more logical

let's take the big bang theory ( not the big bang law)
if science is underlined by cause and effect.. so the effect is the bang created the universe you must also provide proof of the cause!

what caused the bang before there was nothing

that's not a gap!
that's a fundamental scientific flaw in the argument

lol

you do understand this right?

no scientist can explain this and many quantum physicists believe this proves God

don't take my word for it.. take theirs

gaps? pfffft
funny!
What happened before the big bang? Science admits they do not know but are working on hypotheses, on the other hand the bearded man in the sky believers say they know without evidence/proof.

Can you answer me why is it that this "more logical" god of yours and so many other gods are so fascinated and pre occupied with what we do with our own and to each others genitals?

TheHeatleyStand

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 28, 2003
Iceland
AFL Club
Carlton
What happened before the big bang? Science admits they do not know but are working on hypotheses, on the other hand the bearded man in the sky believers say they know without evidence/proof.

Can you answer me why is it that this "more logical" god of yours and so many other gods are so fascinated and pre occupied with what we do with our own and to each others genitals?
so they don’t know .. the scientists.. you keep waiting on them.. lol

You’re starting to get weird.. this is science and logic.. nastiness when asked to explain science..

No proof no science mate.. keep

As for touchiness... scientists have a reason for this also...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...ex-abusers-those-who-dont-study-a7378911.html

https://www.thedailybeast.com/what-science-reveals-about-pedophilia

Science mate... and I can show u scientists doing bad things too...

But let’s stay with the facts... do u have any that might sway me.? Facts,!

Back