Past #23 Buddy Franklin - Thanks Buddy

How long will Buddy play for Sydney?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Buddy-Franklin-has-hit-300-games.-Photo-via-Fox-Footys-Facebook-page..jpg

Lance Franklin
Lance Franklin is a giant of the game. The star Sydney Swans forward has played 300 AFL games, won two premierships with Hawthorn, is the seventh-greatest goal-kicker in VFL/AFL history, is one of just five men with eight All Australian blazers and is the most recent player to have kicked 100 goals in a season. The Western Australian is also one of just two players in the game’s history, along with former Swan and Saint Tony Lockett, to have booted 300 goals for two clubs. Franklin was added to a leadership group for the first time in his career ahead of season 2020, joining co-captains Josh Kennedy, Luke Parker and Dane Rampe, as well as Callum Mills. But the 33-year-old, who was named captain of the 2018 All Australian team, has long been considered an exceptional unofficial leader, so great is his impact on Will Hayward, Nick Blakey, Ben Ronke and the rest of Sydney’s young forwards.

Lance Franklin
DOB: 30 January 1987
DEBUT: 2005
DRAFT: #5, 2004 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Dowerin (WA)/Perth (WAFL)/Hawthorn

Last edited by a moderator:

The part of the buddy deal that will sting in the history books is not the price or years even, more that he came to us when we were a flag contender

Won 0 and his side he left won 2 more without him

Thats not Franklin fault he stood up in 2014 and done his ankle in the opening mins in 2016.

Didn’t say it was his fault

It’s certainly not imo but that’s the narrative that will exist imo that the swans failed

It’s certainly not imo but that’s the narrative that will exist imo that the swans failed

I stopped listening to the 'narratives' spun by the footy media a long time ago and I'm much happier for it.

I wake up and check twitter for the latest robbo or damo gospel

I can't think of a worse way to start the morning...

I admit I do check in to see what gets said (mainly to laugh at Damo's failure to understand the 'sliding doors' concept), but I try to view it as entertainment.

I can't think of a worse way to start the morning...

I admit I do check in to see what gets said (mainly to laugh at Damo's failure to understand the 'sliding doors' concept), but I try to view it as entertainment.

They both have me blocked on twitter sadly

The part of the buddy deal that will sting in the history books is not the price or years even, more that he came to us when we were a flag contender

I know you're just saying what the media narrative is, but as Swans fan we all know the reality is much different. Yes, we missed out in 2 Grand Finals, but so did 16 other teams in both those years. And we wouldn't have come even close to the last Saturday in September without him.

And there would have been no club that wasn't equally in awe of the recruiting coup that we pulled off and jealous that they hadn't been able to get it done themselves. Buddy in 2012 was the one player that every team in the competition would've moved mountains to try and get.

I know you're just saying what the media narrative is, but as Swans fan we all know the reality is much different. Yes, we missed out in 2 Grand Finals, but so did 16 other teams in both those years. And we wouldn't have come even close to the last Saturday in September without him.

And there would have been no club that wasn't equally in awe of the recruiting coup that we pulled off and jealous that they hadn't been able to get it done themselves. Buddy in 2012 was the one player that every team in the competition would've moved mountains to try and get.

I agree with you.

No player goes anywhere not to win surely either. But seems unless he wins a flag he fails, which is shite.

I wonder if Tom Lynch gets the same treatment at the tigers

His choice to come to a team with a coach who has literally no clue how to set up a consistent or even half-decent forward line.

Winning, not Franklin, puts bums on seats. Our average home attendance in 2006-7 was 35,000 and our average in 2017-18 with Franklin was 33,500.

I was a strong supporter of the Franklin acquisition, and I still am, but we've always known that his contract would have a hit in the last couple of years. It should be no surprise now, and I'd say we got a bargain out of him in the first few years. Is it any different to paying him $10m over 7 years instead? In total salary cap impact, no, but there's a clear differenve in the way people perceive it.
Attendance may be down but membership has soared since he joined us, so much so that the combined membership for the two years in the first period you quoted (59,146) didn't equal the total membership for 2018 alone (60,934).
How much of that is due to Franklin I don't know but I would think a fair percentage could be attributed to him as the rise has been exponential since 2014.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Buddy looked frustrated at times, more so than usual.

He was turning to complain to the Umps on every tussle, a couple of times he was more focused in spreading his arms and asking for a free than getting the ball back.

Back