Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Silence on Netflix.

Went into this full of promise comparing it to the excellent Bird Box but gee i was disappointed as the film had so many flaws regarding the creatures in it and the plot itself.

Worth a look if you liked Bird Box but don't go into it expecting to much.

4/10.
Just sounds like yet another rip off of "A Quiet Place".

Shazam!

Even tho it’s rated M due to some scary stuff for little kids, it’s still a total “family film”. Made it a bit cringey at times but the comedy makes up for that.

Zach Levi was excellent as Shazam, really likeable and funny. I didn’t like the boy Shazam at all, he was always so glum it just didn’t seem like the same person.

But I’d give it 7.5/10 given the things I liked about it far outweighed the things I didn’t.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
The Silence on Netflix.

Went into this full of promise comparing it to the excellent Bird Box but gee i was disappointed as the film had so many flaws regarding the creatures in it and the plot itself.

Worth a look if you liked Bird Box but don't go into it expecting to much.

4/10.

Just came here to post this one. It started quite well but went downhill quickly and by the end was a total wreck.

Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Man United, San Antonio Spurs
The Silence:

Didn't mind it at all, has some flaws but pretty good film overall IMO, probably give it a 6.5/10, I'm a sucker for those sort of movies though.

Also recently saw US, thought it was pretty poor, had comedic horror that just didn't work IMO, in no hurry to watch it again, 4/10.

crafty_bernardo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 5, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Destroyer - 6/10

Can't fault Nicole Kidman's performance that alone deserves an 8.5/10. Unfortunately I found the film rather boring which is disappointing because I really enjoyed the directors previous work, The Uninvited.

BuddysBiggestFan

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2008
Hawthorn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Us

One of the worst movies I’ve ever seen. I knew there was s reason I don’t go to the cinema anymore. Was expecting so much after enjoying Get Out but this was pathetic. A script that was thrown together in 30 minutes. If you are scared by any bits in this movie go seek help.

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
MV5BODk3MTczNTMxOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTEyNzcwOQ@@._V1_UY268_CR2,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Un delitto poco comune aka Phantom of Death aka Off Balance (1988)
A wealthy, attractive, and gifted piano player cops the same disease as "Benjamin Button" which triggers him to create a list of everyone he's ever had sex with and kill them. Donald Pleasence- who appears in approximately 87% of the films I've ever watched- is allegedly a police officer but at some point he appears to randomly switch characters to a pissed man at a bus stop. Make sure you see the original, uncensored cut for the impressive Basil Exploitation dismembering a prostitute with a lamp shade. 5/10

[IMG='width:185px;']https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/be/Freejack.jpg[/IMG]

Free Jack (1992)
Rolling stone Mick Jagger takes a quick break from porking everything with legs and a pair of **** to chase around that guy who coached an ice hockey team. Anthony Hopkins not only plays the exact same character as he does in Westworld, but he even recycles some of the script. Special effects were garbage but I loved them anyway... and Jagger's accent? Not so much. Giving this one an extra 2 points for the egregious tagline: "WELCOME TO THE SAVAGE WORLD OF 2009!" (and it was a savage world for Dees supporters hehehe)
4/10

[IMG='width:185px;']https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BMjE0MzM3NjY4OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNDY3NTc5._V1_.jpg[/IMG]

Scanner Cop (1994)
Canadian Tele-movie that marketed itself entirely on the fact it uses rejected characters from David Cronenberg's Scanners. A police officer with the power to blow a hole in perople's heads through will power alone chases an evil scientist who is performing experiments on people with psychic powers. Strangely compelling watching d-grade actors "think really hard". 5/10

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
Destroyer - 6/10

Can't fault Nicole Kidman's performance that alone deserves an 8.5/10. Unfortunately I found the film rather boring which is disappointing because I really enjoyed the directors previous work, The Uninvited.

I quite liked it. Nicole shows she can still act at the down and dirty level. I felt like a dumbass not figuring out the start/end resolution.

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
[IMG='width:200px;']https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BYTllYmFiYmYtZGUxZS00YWRiLTk5M2QtZDk4NTBjMDA0ZjNkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDE2ODg4Mg@@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,636,1000_AL_.jpg[/IMG]
Not My Kid (1985)
Super-milf Stockard Channing (aka Rizzo from Grease) is a good parent and home maker but her 13yo daughter Susan wants to fit in with cool kids so she takes LSD, quaaludes, PCP, a couple of tokes of marihuana, heroin, prescription medications, speed, hash and cocaine, gets pregnant and beats the absolute living s**t out of her snitchy little sister Kelly. Ripper mullets & fashion choices. Full movie is available on YouTube for you parents out there- show it to your kids before they get in a car with someone named Ricky and drive into oncoming traffic. 10/10

Feb 6, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Just watched Room. A great film, depicts a horrific situation in a very human way avoiding coming across as exploitative (which is what I expected going into it). Not one weak link in any of the acting, especially the child actor who truly embodied the character and made me believe I was watching a kid who had been through what he'd been through, which made the healing process much more moving.

Blindspotting.

Written by and starring Daveed Diggs, who has to be one of the most likable people in Hollywood (IMO).

It's set in the ghetto of Oakland, California; about a guy in the last days of his parole, trying to stay out of trouble despite the best efforts of his best friend.

It's a comedy drama, with some pretty serious moments relating to race and identity, but also quite light throughout.

I personally liked it a fair bit (6/10), and would describe it as a hybrid of Boyz n the Hood, Half Baked, and Sorry to Bother You.

crafty_bernardo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 5, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Arctic 7.5/10

Mads, one of his best performances in my opinion. Probably to do with it being a survival film. Showcasing various emotions. Greatly recommended. The person who scored the film also does a wonderful job.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Blindspotting.

Written by and starring Daveed Diggs, who has to be one of the most likable people in Hollywood (IMO).

It's set in the ghetto of Oakland, California; about a guy in the last days of his parole, trying to stay out of trouble despite the best efforts of his best friend.

It's a comedy drama, with some pretty serious moments relating to race and identity, but also quite light throughout.

I personally liked it a fair bit (6/10), and would describe it as a hybrid of Boyz n the Hood, Half Baked, and Sorry to Bother You.
Rafael Casale is phenomenal as Diggs friend in the film. In most films the stuff he does would break the suspension of disbelief as it would not make sense for Diggs to put up with his s**t, but he's just so likeable you can see how you'd look past the flaws.

Richard Cranium

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
PHX
Black Panther

Watched this a week or so ago and jeez, can someone explain what I missed here? To me, it was a complete mess. Tonally all over the place - even by Marvel standards - with a completely dull and forgettable protagonist, laughably bad villains, lame jokes, shitty special effects and plenty of plots points that just didn't make sense.

The hype and the Oscars love (lol) had me expecting something brilliant that was more than just a run of the mill superhero movie and instead I watched maybe the worst Marvel film I've come across.

Bobby P

All Australian
Jul 6, 2011
Canberra
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
WHU Dallas Swansea Raiders Brumbies
Lego Movie 2

6/10

Took my 3 year old to see this as he is really starting to get into Lego. He enjoyed it a lot and it had a few good gags for the older folks. He made me sit through the entire credits which plays the "This song's gonna get stuck inside head" song in its entirety again (was intense). I really like the subtle parts such as the old school astronauts helmet being broken and his logo on his chest rubbing off.

Sep 21, 2004
Adel - SA - Aust - Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Norwood & Liverpool.
Black Panther

Watched this a week or so ago and jeez, can someone explain what I missed here? To me, it was a complete mess. Tonally all over the place - even by Marvel standards - with a completely dull and forgettable protagonist, laughably bad villains, lame jokes, shitty special effects and plenty of plots points that just didn't make sense.

The hype and the Oscars love (lol) had me expecting something brilliant that was more than just a run of the mill superhero movie and instead I watched maybe the worst Marvel film I've come across.
My opinion... Oscar love due to mainly all black cast.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sep 21, 2004
Adel - SA - Aust - Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Norwood & Liverpool.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back