Analysis The Coach – Simon Goodwin: "Working incredibly hard" until at least 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

**** Roosy sounds frustrated On the Couch, who can blame him? all his hard work getting pissed on.

I reckon a fair chunk of dees members were up and waiting for that segment between Roos Gaz and Gerard. Reckon they nailed it. (Brown too).

Roos hinting at much more going on behind the scenes (which he also alluded to on 3aw this arvo). Tried to not give too much away there, but clearly he’s worried about the goings on, especially with the coaching and reviewing. Pretty much accused them of thinking they rated themselves and our place in the comp very highly. Kept pushing the time trials of other good clubs etc, and just left it at that.

Wish he’d just let loose and put it all out there!

Paul Roos annoys me a little. I love what he did for us, and yes, he wears his Dees cap in the media, but I thought he was going to stick around awhile and play some sort or role at the club after he stepped down as head coach? I know he's a busy man, but it would of been nice for him to be still in an official mentoring role at the club instead of just shaking his head in the media box at the club imploding yet again.

I trust Roos judgement still in picking Goodwin, i don't however trust Goodwin's judgement in picking his assistances.

Coaches box needs a shake up at the end of the year

Paul Roos annoys me a little. I love what he did for us, and yes, he wears his Dees cap in the media, but I thought he was going to stick around awhile and play some sort or role at the club after he stepped down as head coach? I know he's a busy man, but it would of been nice for him to be still in an official mentoring role at the club instead of just shaking his head in the media box at the club imploding yet again.
Roos probably just doesn't want to step on anyones toes so would probably only go down if he was invited to. also it could be a bit awkward after Goodwin has taken the axe to his previous good work.

He spends the entire off season in Hawaii. Would be ridicolous for a coach to rock up in March and have to be taught what we are doing again.

I reckon a fair chunk of dees members were up and waiting for that segment between Roos Gaz and Gerard. Reckon they nailed it. (Brown too).

Roos hinting at much more going on behind the scenes (which he also alluded to on 3aw this arvo). Tried to not give too much away there, but clearly he’s worried about the goings on, especially with the coaching and reviewing. Pretty much accused them of thinking they rated themselves and our place in the comp very highly. Kept pushing the time trials of other good clubs etc, and just left it at that.

Wish he’d just let loose and put it all out there!

Unlike the club to be drinking its own bathwater...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our development coaches have a ******* lot to answer for.
Watching the Cats Hawks game atm and the Cats defence ha Blicavs, Stewart and Henry as tall options. Better than any of our players except Lever and they were all picks after the 3rd round. 2 of them Rookies.

We had to pay 3 first rounders to try and build a defence despite having high picks for a decade.

Reckon the whole assistant coaching panel will be facing the axe. We aren't going to sack Goodwin after the extension so rightly or wrongly the assistants are going to cop the blame.

How many are out of contract though? Cant sack them if they are in contract

How many are out of contract though? Cant sack them if they are in contract

Well you can, just take a financial hit.

When they talk about 'our brand' they literally sound like a bunch of koolaid drinking cult members

Like our way is the only way.

I hate that stuff so much. 'We aren't playing Melbourne footy' 'need to show our brand' just STFU and say it like it is.

Well you can, just take a financial hit.
I hate that stuff so much. 'We aren't playing Melbourne footy' 'need to show our brand' just STFU and say it like it is.

Nah I think it counts in your soft cap, which means if we sack em we cant replace them? There was a club recently who couldnt sack their assistants because they all had contracts.

Yeah what is Melbourne footy? Its literally speak for children. How about defend someone and then give the ball to a teammate, thats footy.

Nah I think it counts in your soft cap, which means if we sack em we cant replace them? There was a club recently who couldnt sack their assistants because they all had contracts.

Yeah what is Melbourne footy? Its literally speak for children. How about defend someone and then give the ball to a teammate, thats footy.

The brand thing is probably partly related to what Roos was alluding to. Club is so pig-headed in that its approach is the best approach, CLEARLY IT AINT ******* WORK GUYS MAYBE CHANGE IT UP YEAH?????????

The brand thing is probably partly related to what Roos was alluding to. Club is so pig-headed in that its approach is the best approach, CLEARLY IT AINT ******* WORK GUYS MAYBE CHANGE IT UP YEAH?????????

We lost by 40 points or more 4 times last year. Thats not a good side.

Already lost by that twice this year already.

Even in alot of our wins we dominated inside 50s and didnt get full value and conceded more often to other sides. We didnt address any of it in the offseason

I just watched on the couch - the 5-6 minutes when they spoke about the dees. All valid points in particular Lyon highlighting how we don't win enough ground ball inside 50m which i've been harping on the last 3 days. That's where the defense starts, i think we discussed on another thread how sides like collingwood and WCE defend with the ball in hand and we are the exact opposite, when was the last time we had 6-8 kicks and marks in a row?

The trouble is we have a few issues and they all cant be fixed at once. I don't think are ball movement is THAT bad (no great) likewise stoppages and contested ball doesn't feel that bad. But tomorrow night against Richmond i'd like to see the forwards win more footy inside 50m, the mids cover areas better when we don't have the ball and a plus one behind the ball when we can. And the backs/mids not to rush when we have the ball - maintain possession.

Im going the other way with this if the players dont like a little heat put on them then they should be the 1s going out the door i dont give a * how good they think they are. The players are just a bunch of soft campaigners wholl never win s**t cause it involves putting in the hard yards and actually wanting it. McCartney developed geelongs list to a premiership list and did the grunt work at the dogs. To me the biggest problem is the tail wagging the dog and Misson being rubbish, the players not following orders and Goodwin picking favourites instead of picking a balanced team. Why would McCartney need to help out in defense? Cause Chaplin is rubbish

Im going the other way with this if the players dont like a little heat put on them then they should be the 1s going out the door i dont give a **** how good they think they are. The players are just a bunch of soft campaigners wholl never win s**t cause it involves putting in the hard yards and actually wanting it. McCartney developed geelongs list to a premiership list and did the grunt work at the dogs. To me the biggest problem is the tail wagging the dog and Misson being rubbish, the players not following orders and Goodwin picking favourites instead of picking a balanced team. Why would McCartney need to help out in defense? Cause Chaplin is rubbish

So pretty much when McCartney got removed from the coaches box last year we came good and played our best footy.. What happened at the dogs when they got rid of him again?
He seems to be great at developing contested footy but obviously struggles with relationships when times get trying.. Time for a big clean out here

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back