Review Round 5, 2019 vs West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Also Drew's fantastic defensive midfield work has made a big difference. His blocks, body-work and desperation to smother and pressure have been huge.
All those big bodied mids worked well given the conditions. For a dry deck I think we’re one fast outside player short (currently 20 and a 30% chance of rain Friday). Ken has never been one to change up the players for the conditions (unless it’s drop a tall rather then match/take advantage of oppositions height or lack thereof).

SPP'S injury was caused by a deliberate trip by foot. No free was given of course. Isn't that a reportable offence?

Not against WCE. Its funny, I work in an environment where my workmates are from all over the country. We have a Bulldogs supporter there and the WCE fans constantly give it to him about the charity premiership in 2016. I always shake my head in disbelief that eagles fans can comment on umpires

What am I missing about Dougal?

Just saw he was named in the AFL Team of the Week. I'll grant that he was much better this week, but it felt like he'd gone from a D- to maybe a C+. There were contests he didn't kill, fumbles he should have taken cleanly, targets he should have hit ...

Am I just marking him too harshly?

What am I missing about Dougal?

Just saw he was named in the AFL Team of the Week. I'll grant that he was much better this week, but it felt like he'd gone from a D- to maybe a C+. There were contests he didn't kill, fumbles he should have taken cleanly, targets he should have hit ...

Am I just marking him too harshly?

Marking him harshly considering the opposition and the overall lack of influence their talls had on the game. I thought he was really aggressive and showed exactly what the coaches are trying to get him to do more of.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Marking him harshly considering the opposition and the overall lack of influence their talls had on the game. I thought he was really aggressive and showed exactly what the coaches are trying to get him to do more of.

He was also in the AFL websites players under pressure for selection this week.
Go figure

Brad Sheppard was given the job on Robbie Gray and whilst he did a good job, this is a classic case of stats watching and worrying about Robbie not getting a goal recorded on him. Look how he is worried so much about Robbie rather than going and putting pressure on Duursma.

Champion Data Tables

Lots of green for WCE defenders - except McGovern.

1555998751086.png

Not as much green for us individually. Case of all played well close to their normal out put and we won all the differentials.

1555998841569.png

Last edited:
Good. A backside booting that was well and truly justified at the time.

Brad Sheppard was given the job on Robbie Gray and whilst he did a good job, this is a classic case of stats watching and worrying about Robbie not getting a goal recorded on him. Look how he is worried so much about Robbie rather than going and putting pressure on Duursma.

Not just Robbie, but the change of angle from Butters and the execution of that hand ball just opened the entire corridor up. That is the type of move I would have expected from Simon Black, not a freaking 5 game first year player.

Here's some highlights from the 1st Quarter:

Riley Bonner

giphy.gif

Bonner the ball on the run because he's in motion in support of the midfield, delivers the ball to Ryder and most importantly keeps running to put pressure up the field and provide support to the forward line. This is the reason why Riley Bonner is in the team. This was a feature of all the players during the game - the constant run forward in support.

Sam Powell-Pepper

giphy.gif

Yeo gets crunched by Powell-Pepper from his blind side near goal, allowing Boak to pounce on the resulting crumb. This was due to Powell-Pepper leaving his man and going after a player who fumbled the ball (Yeo) instead of waiting for him to recover and trying to get the ball back by covering the outlet or simply waiting on the outside for an easy possession, which creates a scoring opportunity for Boak.

Sam Gray

giphy.gif

Notice the work rate of Gray in this passage. Sees that he's not going to be part of the play if he stays where he was trying to make the ground wider in case Lycett decided to switch, and so steams in to get near the fall of the ball and then put pressure on not one but two Eagles defenders which ends up in an intercept mark to Robbie Gray.

Todd Marshall

giphy.gif

Just want to highlight this. This is what Todd Marshall brings to the side when he's on his game - elite defensive pressure. He forced at least two or three changes of direction in this passage of play simply because he was chasing and harassing opponents. It is this sort of pressure that creates the implied pressure later in the game.

Zak Butters

giphy.gif

RussellEbertHandball talks about UFH - Useless ******* Handballs. Well, this is a case of EFH - Effective ******* Handballs. Instead of kicking the ball into the line of defenders that are setup behind the play, Butters handballs to Ebert who handballs on to Powell-Pepper running in support. Notice that Howard is also running forward in this passage of play next to Powell-Pepper. The handball from Butters meant that Powell-Pepper's resulting kick could be chipped over to a waiting Duursma - who only started to work off of Jetta once he knew we had the ball, because he trusted his teammates to do the right thing. Defending is important, but the purpose is to get the ball back. Once you've got the ball back, it's time to run and spread.

Dougal Howard

giphy.gif

This play shows you why he can be an All Australian defender if he applies himself. One handed trap and gather of the ball on the run and a calm delivery of the ball. The defensive version of Marshall.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back