Women's Footy AFLW Fremantle - 2020 #1 Team - Season Cancelled

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably the scarier bit is not who Freo have re-signed but who haven't. Example Gibson
Nah. She is possibly the only player left not re-signed that we wouldn't be considering delisting. Her family are massive WC fans (like Hooker's)... if anything I'd say it is good sign she hasn't signed with them already because clearly she is thinking about staying. If she goes (which she probably will), 3 teams in 4 years says enough about her mindset - good luck to her.

I have no interest in this league but the way so many players can be poached by new clubs is absurd.

Signed: Ebony Antonio, Kiara Bowers, Tayla Bresland, Steph Cain, Kara Donnellan, Sabreena Duffy, Evie Gooch, Katie-Jayne Grieve, Gemma Houghton, Leah Mascall, Hayley Miller, Gabby O'Sullivan, Laura Pugh, Matilda Sergeant, Philipa Seth, Ashley Sharp, Angelique Stannett, Alex Williams
Delisted/Traded/Expansion Signing: Dana Hooker (West Coast)

So 18 signed here are players in limbo or
Unsigned: Ashlee Atkins, Melissa Caulfield, Cassie Davidson, Ebony Dowson, Brianna Green, Kellie Gibson, Alicia Janz, Parris Laurie, Tayla McAuliffe, Brianna Moyes, Jasmin Stewart, Courtney Stubbs

Any surprises not signed.

Any chance we secure the North Melbourne ruck in a bit of a left field surprise?
What a dream! She’s great mates with Kiara Bowers, but I think she’s pretty happy in Melbourne and not looking to come back. Weags have already had an unsuccessful crack at her and she’s expected to re-sign with Norf.

Signed: Ebony Antonio, Kiara Bowers, Tayla Bresland, Steph Cain, Kara Donnellan, Sabreena Duffy, Evie Gooch, Katie-Jayne Grieve, Gemma Houghton, Leah Mascall, Hayley Miller, Gabby O'Sullivan, Laura Pugh, Matilda Sergeant, Philipa Seth, Ashley Sharp, Angelique Stannett, Alex Williams
Delisted/Traded/Expansion Signing: Dana Hooker (West Coast)

So 18 signed here are players in limbo or
Unsigned: Ashlee Atkins, Melissa Caulfield, Cassie Davidson, Ebony Dowson, Brianna Green, Kellie Gibson, Alicia Janz, Parris Laurie, Tayla McAuliffe, Brianna Moyes, Jasmin Stewart, Courtney Stubbs

Any surprises not signed.
Atkins, Caulfield, Green and Guard >>> WC, along with Swanson from GWS.

Top of wish list: Gibson

Then: Janz

Then: Laurie

Moyes, Stewart would like.

We only have 5 spots available - 4 main list + 1 rookie.

Last edited:

Should we be targeting players like Samantha Roscoe 6'3?

Seems to me that we should looking at the WSBL for some tall women to play tall forward and ruck.

Also, some Basketball College Seniors in Megan Mckay 6'3 and Madeleine Dennis 6'2.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not directly related to our Women's team, but if you are into Podcasts and AFLW there is an interesting interview with Alan McConnell, GWS AFLW coach, on afl.com.au

The first 8 minutes discuss the difference between the men's and the women's game and his thoughts on why numbers at the stoppage have a different impact in the two games. He then goes into his role as Director of Coaching for the men's side of their club.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-04-17/trends-fitzroy-runners-and-the-need-for-an-inside-30

Highest paid player in Australia apparently. But she is very good.
She’s very very very good. But how can she be getting paid more than Erin Phillips? She’ll go down as 🐐 imo. Well at least of this generation.
But then the new expansion teams were granted a higher salary cap. Free rein to poach eight players AND a higher salary cap to do it with. It’s no wonder players like Hooker and Gibson moved on. 🤬🤬🤬

so they can pay players more than a certain tier then? I just assumed they would have more players on the higher tier salary but wouldn't actually be able to alter the tiered payment system
I’m not sure tbh. I believe that they can pay the players on different tiers more than the current clubs, but not have more on each. So Hooker (and I think the one from GWS) will be one of their two Marquees, but will be getting paid more than we (or GWS) could have paid her. I think.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back