Status
Not open for further replies.

Nugett

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
RIP Thaihawk.

Many condolences to your family and loved ones.
It’s a shame that you won’t get to see the progress of the Irish kids in Glass and Nash. I remember you having a soft spot for them because they were Irish.
Thanking you for the many memories and history that you were so willing to share. A true Hawk supporter to the end. Also showed a lot of respect to the past, current and potential future of our players, there was hardly never any critics showed, only optimism.

Sep 27, 2012
Hawks heartland
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Bushrangers Tottenham Hotspur
Very sad news. I am another one who particularly enjoyed Thaihawk's posts about the old days. He reminded me a bit of my dear departed dad who also had lots of stories about the Maybloom era of the Hawks :'(

He will be sadly missed, thanks Cryptor for letting us know.

PT Bar None

Banal Chaos
Cake Connoisseur
Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Ohhhhh. Poor bugger. :(

He was always great value and with good humour.

RIP

As many have noticed over the the last few months, one of our most active, long standing and quality members of this board has been unusually absent this year. Combining small pieces of information throughout his posting history I was able to track down his profile on Facebook and use what is publicly shared there to get in contact with a family member.

It's with great sadness that I pass on the news that Thaihawk has unfortunately passed away. I'm told that he was admitted to hospital in early January with "quite a few issues" (which I'm led to believe were likely cancer related) and that in mid-March he passed away.

Most regulars here would know that Thaihawk grew up in the Glenferrie area in the 1940's and bear witness to many a thrashing of Hawthorn throughout his youth. He was lucky in the sense that he got to watch Hawthorn transform from the easy-beat Mayblooms into the powerhouse Hawks of today.

The man we knew from his time on BigFooty was an elderly (late 70's), Australian expat spending his retirement years living in Northern Thailand with his Thai family after having remarried later in life. He taught ESL (English as a Second Language) in Thailand for some years before fully retiring to enjoy spending all his time with his wife and his 3 year old granddaughter (who is now a keen Hawk fan herself). We also knew that his wife was fighting a very tough battle with cancer the last couple years and that she sadly lost that fight late last year. No doubt the pain and stress of that loss contributed to his own ill health.

Thaihawk has a long posting history here and it is rich with fantastic, first-hand accounts of the early days of Hawthorn from the late 1940's through until the modern history of recent years. With Thaihawk's background in teaching English his affinity for writing quality posts has been very evident, and I'm sure many reading this would have been schooled by him on the appropriate use of grammar at one point or another! Throughout his tenure on these boards he was consistently adding plenty of quality to discussions with his sharp wit, sage advice and the occasional grumbly, old man rant.

While this is terribly sad news I think we should all be happy in the knowledge that Thaihawk led such a long and happy life and that he got to see the rise to power of his beloved football club. Experiencing all 13 wonderful premiership wins to date, and topped off with a historical threepeat!

Rest In Peace, Thaihawk
Beautifully put cryptor
RIP big fella, may Nash go on to be a superstar in your honour.
A privilege to be able to read some of your wonderful memories and stories. You will be missed

The radio silence from TH was cause for quite a few posters to query privately what we could do to understand how he was going. It was not a nice time, not knowing, waiting.

Chief had emailed him(the address he used to sign up - not knowing if it was still a valid email), the rest of us could only wait to hear any news.

cryptor, you’ve done a great job here.

Thaihawk will be missed by so many. He was a big part of this board, and pretty much a part of the furniture.

His memories, his thoughts, his puns...this place has not been the same since he left.

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
RIP Thaihawk you were a gentleman of the highest order and the short interactions I had with you they were a pleasure. Big Footy as a whole has lost a good one.

I’m sure as you passed through the pearly gates that you would’ve been saying ‘greetings and salutations’.

One for all and all for one good sir and may you RIP 😢

Oct 14, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This really hits hard for me I lost my farther during march to cancer, I've found it so hard to accept the fact he's gone and not waiting in the hospital.
My condolences to all that were close, he genuinely seem like a great a man and was by far one of the best posters on this entire site, see the user name and instantly take more interest in what was said.

hawker5

Club Legend
Sep 23, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Subiaco
Thaihawks comments and memories will be greatly missed by many including me - Rest in Peace my fellow Hawk supporter - one day when we all catch up let us all share the great memories that our beloved Hawks have given us

A big loss to the forum, and I'm sure, based on how he carried himself, a much bigger loss to those who knew him as his friends or family in 'real life'

An absolute gentleman, and incredibly knowledgeable with it.

Sad news indeed. RIP Thaihawk

That’s truly devestating news. This board was all the richer for his input and will be forever poorer with his absence.

He is everything the internet should be, but isn’t. Knowledge and tact. He was always polite on here and if he argued he argued the points and not the man. He was a tremendous source of knowledge about the history of the club and he was one of those posters that you’d always make sure to stop and read those posts.

I’m glad that he got to see so many premierships in his final years and that his last season of footy was crowned with a Hawks Brownlow to bring him a bit more joy as he was obviously fighting a lot of tough personal battles.

Vale, Thaihawk - a true gent.

AlwaysHawks15

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This really hits hard for me I lost my farther during march to cancer, I've found it so hard to accept the fact he's gone and not waiting in the hospital.
My condolences to all that were close, he genuinely seem like a great a man and was by far one of the best posters on this entire site, see the user name and instantly take more interest in what was said.
Likewise in regards to my father, also lost him recently from Cancer. Condolences to the family of thaihawk, may he RIP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back