2019 Training Reports

hoopdaloop

Debutant
Nov 20, 2017
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Thanks for the update, did have a little laugh at Tabs, I honestly dont see it changing, its an almost completely mental thing. I reckon it will be almost pot luck if he turns his goal kicking around

He was working with Bewley toward the end of training who was stepping out his run up and manning the mark, not sure if he's got a really good routine or something, Tabs was looking pretty frustrated by the end of the day and he's only getting into his own head the more he misses unfortunately.

He was working with Bewley toward the end of training who was stepping out his run up and manning the mark, not sure if he's got a really good routine or something, Tabs was looking pretty frustrated by the end of the day and he's only getting into his own head the more he misses unfortunately.
Yeah, I would have expected as much to be honest, it will take a game out of the blue where he kicks his first 3 on the trot or something to fix it I think. Mayne had the same problem and basically had to be made a midfielder for it to work. Given the mental side isnt Tabs strongpoint, I think we will be cursing his set shots for a while

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Andy was having serious chats with Ross about something away from the main group, not sure what that would've been about but they seemed to be having a pretty in depth talk about something.

Something else people are probably happy to hear is Tabs spent most of the day taking pot shots at goal

ANDY; Coach, some bloke on bigfooty reckons we should be practicing skills.

LYON; They need to put more effort into their posting.

ANDY; I just thought you being a deep thinker....

LYON; What the hell is Tabs wasting his time doing that for?

ANDY; anyhooo, might go do some sprints.

Dockernut

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 23, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Sharks. Anyone playing West Coast.
It’s so weird. I remember Tabs used to be a very reliable set shot. I have faith he will turn it around.

The whole Tabs yips thing baffles me a bit. I always remember back in my ammo days you just had to concentrate on kicking through the ball and not trying to complicate it. It’s all about contact for mine. As soon as you start trying to nurse dinky kicks or snap where it isn’t necessary, you generally * up.

JammoMonty

Club Legend
Oct 1, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
9CE30E51-458C-4500-9847-F37180C98CD0.jpeg

Tabs to kick 5+ this weekend 🔐

Bicco

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 23, 2013
Hobart
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle, Socceroos
The whole Tabs yips thing baffles me a bit. I always remember back in my ammo days you just had to concentrate on kicking through the ball and not trying to complicate it. It’s all about contact for mine. As soon as you start trying to nurse dinky kicks or snap where it isn’t necessary, you generally **** up.
I recently 'lost' my golf swing and it took 5 weeks to get it back. Main thing was getting the tempo of the swing correct. I reckon Tabs is just around the corner from a bag. Once he has faith in a routine he'll be fine. He needs to get in front of the goals with a bag of balls and keep kicking until he finds his groove. Every sports person on every level that needs to perform a repeatable goes through what he's going through. In extreme cases (Brett Ogle) it is career ending but Tabs will be fine IMO.
Nice haircut too.

Ysaye

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
I recently 'lost' my golf swing and it took 5 weeks to get it back. Main thing was getting the tempo of the swing correct. I reckon Tabs is just around the corner from a bag. Once he has faith in a routine he'll be fine. He needs to get in front of the goals with a bag of balls and keep kicking until he finds his groove. Every sports person on every level that needs to perform a repeatable goes through what he's going through. In extreme cases (Brett Ogle) it is career ending but Tabs will be fine IMO.
Nice haircut too.

I agree that these kinds of things are generally something where you need to work on the timing; although I don't play tennis much anymore I still am able to get a decent serve up and going quickly and what I concentrate on is timing and position of body at those time points. It sounds a bit crackpot but I find if I count out time in my head (as one does when playing music) and then cognitively observe mechanically stuff happening at particularly points in the count.

Routine routine routine....

Aug 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
It says on the club website that training will occur at 10:30 am tomorrow at Cockburn. Can any regular training attendees confirm this is reasonably accurate as it seems later than normal?

Thanks

Back