Recommitted David Astbury [re-signed]

Haha you don't have a clue man.. he honestly isn't better.
Considering he takes those "gorilla" key forwards I would say he is. I'm not saying it like he's miles ahead of Rance, he's just able to play that role well which allows rance to intercept and create going the other way.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I believe we made a big play for him a few seasons back but dont see us going into the contest for him again this time around.
Grabbing Marcus Adams over the off-season would just about rule out any interest you guys would have I think. Can see Bulldogs, Saints and North enquiring, based on current list needs

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Agreed

Wouldnt blame him if there is a good deal out there for him
Yeah the 3 teams I listed are all pretty well known to have decent cap space. Even with North grabbing Polec, Tyson, Pittard, etc. they'd still have a decent amount of room. Saints spent 700k on Hanners, but would surely have plenty too. Dogs have made attempts at Hurley and Wingard in the past few years, and have had major retirements / trades (like Roughead was restricted free agent, meaning he was among the top earners at the club) so would have a huge amount of space. If any wanted to make a big offer to Astbury that Richmond doesn't want to match, they easily could, it's just a matter of how much he's valued at.

I'd imagine it just comes down to whether Richmond wants him to stay, as he does strike me as a loyal player

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Yeah the 3 teams I listed are all pretty well known to have decent cap space. Even with North grabbing Polec, Tyson, Pittard, etc. they'd still have a decent amount of room. Saints spent 700k on Hanners, but would surely have plenty too. Dogs have made attempts at Hurley and Wingard in the past few years, and have had major retirements / trades (like Roughead was restricted free agent, meaning he was among the top earners at the club) so would have a huge amount of space. If any wanted to make a big offer to Astbury that Richmond doesn't want to match, they easily could, it's just a matter of how much he's valued at.

I'd imagine it just comes down to whether Richmond wants him to stay, as he does strike me as a loyal player
Personally i cant see Richmond matching anymore than $500k for Astbury with Garthwaite waiting in the wings and seen as the ready replacement, Specially with a year under his belt this year with Rance being out for the year

Zoom

Carefree
Dec 16, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Rance makes him better than what he is. Wouldn’t care if he left TBH. We have some good young KPDs coming through.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Rance makes him better than what he is. Wouldn’t care if he left TBH. We have some good young KPDs coming through.

I also wouldnt mind too much if he left, I think Garthwaite is ready and will be needing games and cant play 4 KPD in games so if we are to lose 1 of them the Astbury would be the one and if we get a 2nd round compo then im happy with that.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
I reckon a difference of 150k a year between clubs offers would get him to move

Eg) tigs offer 500-550k
Opposition club offer 650-700k per year

And could even see oppo clubs offer more

If they offered more i would be very happy to see him move meaning with that sort of contract a good compo pick would be on the cards

If they offered more i would be very happy to see him move meaning with that sort of contract a good compo pick would be on the cards
Yeah an end of first rounder would be probably the compo

I’d still rather Astbury from your point of view

And wouldn’t be against north offering him that amount to get him as a free agent

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Yeah an end of first rounder would be probably the compo

I’d still rather Astbury from your point of view

And wouldn’t be against north offering him that amount to get him as a free agent
North are all over Brandon Ellis as a free agent. He’s doing well to push up his price over the last couple of weeks. Unlikely North will target Astbury as well.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
North are all over Brandon Ellis as a free agent. He’s doing well to push up his price over the last couple of weeks. Unlikely North will target Astbury as well.

That was last year until they got Polec for $800k x 5 years , Not sure they would be after another outside mid now they have the 3 runners in
Pittard,Polec,Hall

Back