TAS Tassie... happening?

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally, it was over the argument most had that A vic team should be killed off to make way for a Tas team.

My issue with that was that the very reasons people wanted to kill off Vic clubs were going to be as bad, or worse, with a Tas team. (low income, lack of support, etc).

Having done my research over that, now it's mostly a matter of disliking when people lie/use bullshit arguments, so I poke my head in to such threads and shoot down the lies.

As stated above, it really doesn't take nearly as much time/interest as people seem to think (the 'pro tas' camp really needs to come up with new/better iies rather just repeating the old ones...it's shooting fish in a barrel).

As for me being for/against a Tas team over all. I was for...Now, I can see and understand why the AFL mightn't do it (an eternal money sink that'll just get deeper as time goes on), but mostly I think the people with only a passing interest should be aware of the truth over what they call for.
There are clubs in Melbourne that always have been and always will be charity cases. If the rest of the comp has to constantly chip in to keep them competitive, then they may as well do that for a club in an unrepresented area instead of a saturated one.

Apr 24, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
What’s Tassie’s population? As much as I’d like it to happen, I can’t see it as a good commercial decision to prop up a team in Tasmania.
Was it a good commercial decision to put a club on Gold Coast where there NRL club can’t even make ends meet? if the AFL didn’t prop clubs up there would be a competition with about 6 clubs in it !

Apr 26, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Aston Villa
Was it a good commercial decision to put a club on Gold Coast where there NRL club can’t even make ends meet? if the AFL didn’t prop clubs up there would be a competition with about 6 clubs in it !
Granted it’s a slow burn in the Northern states but they don’t need to dominate the market, they just need a big enough piece of it.

You may be too young to remember when the then VFL could’ve folded. They needed expansion. Thank you Ross Oakley.

Beau_Waters for PM

Premiership Player
Apr 28, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
My bet is a 3rd team in Western Australia.
One day I would like to see the Bulldogs partially relocate to Ballarat, but that is not feasible in the near future as Ballarat is still too small. It is growing reasonably quickly though, from what I know anyway.
A little off topic, but since you raised it - Victoria is Australia's fastest growing state, Melbourne is growing by nearly the size of Darwin each year. Geelong is the fastest growing city in Australia at 2.71%, with Ballarat (1.9%), Bendigo (1.6%) also growing faster than national average (0.6%). So yes, you're dead right. (Source)

Population is of course, only one piece of the puzzle.

werdna78

All Australian
Sep 29, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fulham Football Club
I would love to see a Tasmanian team, but I don’t think the numbers stack up financially. The AFL may have a license to print money and though it may look like NSW and QLD are money pits, they actually earn more for the AFL through broadcast rights per team, than Victoria and South Australia, due to having big populations and less teams.

Here are the numbers I looked at to come to my opinions (all sourced from the internet)

AFL Broadcast rights is on average $418 million per year. Divide that by 18 teams you get about $23 million per team.

Based on 2017 handouts per team average $15 million. GWS and GC getting $23 million; BRI $22 million; StK $19 million, and WB & NM $16 million. At the other end, wealthy clubs got less i.e.: COL $11 million.

The reason the AFL gets so much money from the broadcast rights is through advertising and sponsors in bigger states. Victoria, NSW and QLD.
Based on the 2017 AFL Grand Final viewers, Victoria on average supplies 40% of people watching AFL; 20% from NSW; 13% from WA and QLD; 10% from SA and 3% from Tasmania.

I used these viewer figures against the $418 million broadcast rights and found that the 10 Victorian teams translate to about $17 million per team; NSW 2 teams $43 million per team; WA $28 million per team; QLD $25 million per team; SA $21 million per team and if you went off the viewer figures Tasmania would be about $17 million if they had a team.

This shows me that QLD and NSW are pulling their weight in making the AFL money.

Only NSW could afford another team based on population and viewership, but I can’t see that happening or where they would put it.
I can see the AFL propping up teams with the broadcast rights through till 2023 where they could put a team in Tasmania, but at a cost.
Figures sourced from following sites

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/afl...ng-in-the-big-bucks/jotzvtk43bfe11kw1sfqqvqcp - income
http://www.hpnfooty.com/?p=28301 – 2017 handouts
http://www.roymorgan.com/findings/7356-afl-grand-final-viewers-september-2017-201710020358 - 2017 AFL grand final

I would love to see a Tasmanian team, but I don’t think the numbers stack up financially. The AFL may have a license to print money and though it may look like NSW and QLD are money pits, they actually earn more for the AFL through broadcast rights per team, than Victoria and South Australia, due to having big populations and less teams.

Here are the numbers I looked at to come to my opinions (all sourced from the internet)

AFL Broadcast rights is on average $418 million per year. Divide that by 18 teams you get about $23 million per team.

Based on 2017 handouts per team average $15 million. GWS and GC getting $23 million; BRI $22 million; StK $19 million, and WB & NM $16 million. At the other end, wealthy clubs got less i.e.: COL $11 million.

The reason the AFL gets so much money from the broadcast rights is through advertising and sponsors in bigger states. Victoria, NSW and QLD.
Based on the 2017 AFL Grand Final viewers, Victoria on average supplies 40% of people watching AFL; 20% from NSW; 13% from WA and QLD; 10% from SA and 3% from Tasmania.

I used these viewer figures against the $418 million broadcast rights and found that the 10 Victorian teams translate to about $17 million per team; NSW 2 teams $43 million per team; WA $28 million per team; QLD $25 million per team; SA $21 million per team and if you went off the viewer figures Tasmania would be about $17 million if they had a team.

This shows me that QLD and NSW are pulling their weight in making the AFL money.

Only NSW could afford another team based on population and viewership, but I can’t see that happening or where they would put it.
I can see the AFL propping up teams with the broadcast rights through till 2023 where they could put a team in Tasmania, but at a cost.

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/afl...ng-in-the-big-bucks/jotzvtk43bfe11kw1sfqqvqcp - income
http://www.roymorgan.com/findings/7356-afl-grand-final-viewers-september-2017-201710020358 - 2017 AFL grand final

It's easy to say NSW and QLD have good viewing figures when they actually have two teams to watch, each.

VolgaBoatman

All Australian
Apr 4, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers
I would love to see a team from Tassie - 2025 would be around the right time-frame I think, the Tasmanian economy is growing, it would be a boost to the state, and probably increase the tourism potential if they place 11 games a year down there.

How many supporters travel to the games down there ? Do the clubs / AFL put on good promotions / packages ?

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
I would love to see a team from Tassie - 2025 would be around the right time-frame I think, the Tasmanian economy is growing, it would be a boost to the state, and probably increase the tourism potential if they place 11 games a year down there.

How many supporters travel to the games down there ? Do the clubs / AFL put on good promotions / packages ?

I think Hawthorn supporters long since got sick of Launceston. North haven't got many supporters so I doubt many of any team come down.

Given a Tassie club, playing in both Hobart & Launceston, the variety of opponent clubs would see an rapid increase in the footy visitor numbers.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood

How can you use the whole years AFL media income against just one game?, the Grand final.

You'd surely need to look at the average viewership per week?

The NSW and QLD viewers don't just watch QLD and NSW teams.

Of course not, but I would think it fair to assume that AFL viewing numbers would have increased in NSW/QLD each time an AFL team is added. It's easy to show that NSW/QLD have decent viewing figures by comparing it to a state without an AFL team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

North has a deal with Spirit of Tas... to deliver you to Devonport, ~3 hours drive from Hobart haha.

Hornberger

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2011
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Based on the 2016 census, Tasmania had a population of 509,965. This is 14,611 higher than the 2011 census.

The population of Victoria grew by 572,582 in those 5 years - that is 62,000 more than Tasmania's population.

Tasmania is market, in relative terms, is shrinking quite quickly. In 2001, there was 10.1 Victorians for every Tasmanian. Now it is 12.3:1.

The numbers just don't add up.

Last edited:

Stumpy Pete

Premiership Player
Sep 2, 2003
At the Butterfly Ball
AFL Club
Collingwood
Based on the 2016 census, Tasmania had a population of 509,965. This is 14,611 higher than the 2011 census.

The population of Victoria grew by 572,582 in those 5 years - that is 62,000 more than Tasmania's population.

Tasmania is market, in relative terms, is shrinking quite quickly. In 2001, there was 10.1 Victorians for every Tasmanian. Now it is 12.3:1.

The numbers just don't add up.

Somewhat paradoxically your analysis may demonstrate why a team in Tassie could be quite financially successful. There are tens of thousands of Tasmanians now living on the mainland who, I think, would be more than happy to buy a membership even if they couldn’t get down for a game. I’d imagine membership number could be close to 50,000 in the first year.

I’d sure buy one.

Regards

S. Pete

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Sure. You wouldn't want your club to die.
I know its off topic. I have always wanted North to play games at Carltons ground or Ikon park or Princes Park.

I know its heritage listed in some areas. And this is no disrespect to north as they are not the biggest supporter base in Victoria. I know Carlton will want money via rent as well.

But surely getting 20-25,000 in a 30 thousand seat princes park is better than 20,000 at Marvel/Docklands. Plus you would assume its cheaper to rent out princes park than docklands. I remember freo had to play Geelong in geelong in tat 2013 final. Geelong made more money getting 30-35,000 in that ground than getting 50,000 at docklands due to cheap rent in kardinia. There were rumours the Bulldogs wanted to play games at Whitten oval.

Back on the topic. would it be expensive to rent out stadiums in tassie such as Launceston, North hobart oval or Bellrieve?

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
I just want Tasmania - a footy state - to have a presence in our wonderful national comp.

Why do you hate Tasmania?
I want tassie to have an AFL team too. My the issue is population. Population of Hobart and Launceston is 200-250,000 each. Had one of those cities had a population of 500,000, then it would be easy to get regular start up crowds of 20-25,000 each home game.

Aug 15, 2015
The cockeyed lowlife of the (Southern) Highlands
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Population, population, population, wahhhh wahhhh

What's the population of western Sydney? Massive, but no one gives a s**t about afl. China has a pretty big population too.

I guarantee games in Tassie will pull more than gws home games or a game in Shanghai. People here stand in freezing sleet to watch people play on a gravel oval.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back