Jessica Foley
Chelsea Randall
Renee Forth
Dayna Cox
Marijana Rajcic
Anne Hatchard
Sarah Allan
Ruth Wallace

20 Players locked in to start the premiership defence. Ruth Wallace returns, Ponter stays and Erin has signed but the decision to play will be made much closer to the season.

20 of our Premiership players have signed on. Including Erin although she hasnt decided whether she is playing on.

Marinoff and Randall have 2 year deals

Ruth Wallace is also back

Marinoff would likely take Erin's tier 1 place if she doesn't continue? Honestly, the AFL should have Erin on some sort of ambassador contract to return anyway.

Aslong as Sarah doesnt leave!!

Phil Harper pretty much confirms Sarah will be here for the long haul in the article about Jess’ trade to GWS https://www.afc.com.au/news/2019-04-24/aflw-jess-allan-traded

“After the three years, if Jess returns to Adelaide, we hope she might be able to play alongside her sister Sarah again.”

Disappointed to see Jess Allan move but hopefully we can draft to refill our tall stocks (Montana McKinnon), but with Ruth Wallace back it will go a long way to cover the presumed early season absence of Scheer and uncertainty around Erin.

Can’t wait to release the Stevie-Lee, Wallace, Ponter trio on opposition defences.

Ruth Wallace returning is very significant. Looking forward to next season already, hopefully there's a greater quantity of H&A games this time around.

I guess next year it's McCormick out, Wallace in! Gore and Nankivell waiting in the wings to get games, plus whoever we draft this year. Metcalfe is the only one I wonder about, she's absolutely good enough to be playing but we'll need to adjust a bit, but it's not like there are any talls in our side whose spot is in question.

Wonder if we'll move a forward back to accommodate Wallace in the forward line? Has she ever played elsewhere? That's assuming that both Phillips and Scheer make it back,of course. If not, she's an instant replacement. I guess if neither of them make it back, Jess Foley might move forward (or Cramey forward and Foley back) to cover the marking option, opening up the lead ruck spot for Metcalfe. Foley is probably the best replacement for Phillips we're going to get, able to clunk a mark up forward and also move to the middle and win some clearances. Decent kick for goal too, her grand final efforts aside.

Shame to say goodbye to Jess Allan, but to be fair, unless we get injuries she would be unlikely to get a game anyway, our KPD and ruck stocks are pretty set. Hopefully she'll be back in a few years time to take over from Jess Foley :thumbsu:

Last edited:
20 of our Premiership players have signed on. Including Erin although she hasnt decided whether she is playing on.

Marinoff and Randall have 2 year deals

Ruth Wallace is also back
Great news about Ruth! Any news re Ponter? Edit: just saw Danielle’s name on the list, when did she sign?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ponter re-signed as one of the 20 premiership players that did

For those trying to work out the one missing player, it's Jenna McCormick who is giving soccer her full focus for the next eighteen months.

Being able to keep basically the entire premiership team together is a big win, given there were four clubs with carte blanche to target players for free.

How did they decide that Richmond would get pick 1 over the saints, gold coast and West coast? was it based on how many players they signed? a lucky draw?

Collingwood probably need pick 1 more than anyone

How did they decide that Richmond would get pick 1 over the saints, gold coast and West coast? was it based on how many players they signed? a lucky draw?
Collingwood probably need pick 1 more than anyone
AFL mentioned it was based on number of signings, which is bad luck for the Saints because Tigers obviously came out with the higher quality recruits.

Great news regarding all the re-signings! Especially Ruth Wallace returning.

Phil Harper pretty much confirms Sarah will be here for the long haul in the article about Jess’ trade to GWS https://www.afc.com.au/news/2019-04-24/aflw-jess-allan-traded

Disappointed to see Jess Allan move but hopefully we can draft to refill our tall stocks (Montana McKinnon), but with Ruth Wallace back it will go a long way to cover the presumed early season absence of Scheer and uncertainty around Erin.

Can’t wait to release the Stevie-Lee, Wallace, Ponter trio on opposition defences.
The trio of pacy forwards of Thompson, Wallace and Ponter is making my mouth water.

Though I think with doubts of Scheer and Erin for early part of next year, I think it’s worth a punt to put Ponter in the midfield and then resting up forward. Ponter has the natural football ability out of the trio, and I can see her being a damaging midfielder in the long run.

Premiership team kept intact, bloody beauty!

Now that the re-signing season is over and now the gaze turns to the VFLW season with NT Thunder.

Here are more reasons why Crows fans should get behind the NT Thunder:

1. The Crows players can all stick together increase knowledge of team mates and their habits and preferences, improve game style and increase skills. If Crows did 12 minutes Skills training in each coaching session.

2. Work towards covering the absence of Erin Phillips and Chloe Scheer.

3. Develop depth and gain skills.

4. Keep the winning culture and intimidation. Last year the VFLW thought the Thunder was too strong in 2018.

5. They become ‘Road Warriors’ where they have only 5 home games and 9 Away in Melbourne. The 5 home games is 4 in Darwin and 1 in Alice Springs.

6. Appreciate the NT players more and Thunder dominate in NT so this is a Mirror Reverse. Able to evaluate the NT the NT players for the Draft.

7. The VFL and VFLW has the 23rd player for Rookies. Gore played a couple of VFLW last year prior to drafting. This year we could see Montana McKinnon, Jaimie Tabb and Hannah Munyard prior to the Draft.

The VFLW allows 12 AFLW players each game so that means there are 168 games to be shared around the AFLW players at the NT Thunder.

My preference would be for all the players have games shared fairly evenly. This is able to accommodate shift-workers in Doctor, Nurse, Paramedic, Police and Defence mixed with holidays prior to the preseason.

Here is my breakdown as this is about the NT foremost:

Residentially based NT Players - Danielle Ponter and Jordann Hickey not re-signed from Melbourne with 11 games each. Hickey was a NT Thunder player last year based out of Alice Springs prior to being drafted by Melbourne

Adelaide based NT Players - Angela Foley, Sally Riley, Stevie-Lee Thompson and Renee Forth with 9 games.

Adelaide based SA players - Sarah Allan, Dayna Cox, Courtney Cramey, Jessica Foley, Nikki Gore, Anne Hatchard, Eloise Jones, Sophie Li, Ebony Marinoff, Hannah Martin, Justine Mules, Marijana Rajcic, Dani Varnhagen, Ruth Wallace with 7 games while Kate Rosenzweig and Rheanne Lugg with 6 games.

Crows players in 2019 not considered for NT Thunder - Erin Phillips, Jenna McCormick, Maisie Nankivell (Adelaide Thunderbirds train-on), Ailish Considine, Chelsea Randall, Rhiannon Metcalfe, Chloe Sheer, Sarah Perkins, Jessica Allan, Jasmyn Hewett, Jess Sedunary.

As there is 12 players allowed each week rather than selecting 12 player we select 12 positions and have the players fit these positions. This would be my breakdown:

Position 1 - Ruck - Jessica Foley with 7 games and Position 1A - Utility - Courtney Cramey with 7 games

Position 2 - Key Forward - Jordann Hickey with 11 games and Kate Rosenzweig with 3 games

Position 3 - Key Defender - Sarah Allan and Marijana Rajcic with 7 games each

Position 4 - Inside Mid 1 - Ebony Marinoff and Anne Hatchard with 7 games each

Position 5 - Inside Mid 2 - Renee Forth with 9 games and Angela Foley with 5 games

Position 6 - Inside Mid 3 - Nikki Gore and Sophie Li with 7 games each

Position 7 - Outside Mid 1 - Hannah Martin and Eloise Jones with 7 games each

Position 8 - Outside Mid 2 - Dani Varnhagen and Justine Mules with 7 games each

Position 9 - Small Fwd - Stevie-Lee Thompson with 9 games and Ruth Wallace with 5 games

Position 10 – Fwd - Danielle Ponter with 11 games and Kate Rosenzweig with 3 games

Position 11 – Half Back Distributor- Angela Foley with 4 games, Sally Riley with 9 games and Ruth Wallace with 1 game

Position 12 –Defender - Dayna Cox with 7 games, Rheanne Lugg with 6 games and Ruth Wallace with 1 game.

Total - 168 games -14 Rounds with 12 Players

I'd argue McCormick isn’t really much of a loss at all. She was actually playing in poor form mid season and have been on par in most of our other games.

If we look back at the entire 3 seasons, I’d say she was one who didn’t look like she was improving much relative to the others. Whilst the others are focusing on footy for a whole year, and McCormick focuses on part footy, part soccer, she is the one that is likely to go backwards relative to the others.

So whilst she played a major part of our winning culture in past years, I can see others overtaking her spot next year.

A bit harsh JW. While she struggled a bit in the Minor round I thought she was immense in both finals, providing run, good disposal and in general a real "connecting" player for us.

Well if the best basketball player in the world is earning half that, safe to say the article is wrong

The best's base was lower, but even that report you posted said her bonuses (for the likes of best player, finals etc) put her almost at 100K ($95,318)

Stewart made $56,793 in base salary last season with the Storm, earning bonuses of a $15,000 for being MVP, $11,025 for winning the WNBA title, $10,000 for being All-WNBA first team and $2,500 for being in the All-Star Game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back