Player Watch Matthew Scharenberg (Delisted 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

And sadly, likely by the time he is, he won’t be again.

**** that draft, what a campaigner.
The one shining light from that draft is Langdon. Even if Freeman was a bust, if Schaz had managed to stay fit all these years we’d have been pretty happy with those two from this draft imo. Imagine if we’d drafted Merrett instead of Freeman though....

The one shining light from that draft is Langdon. Even if Freeman was a bust, if Schaz had managed to stay fit all these years we’d have been pretty happy with those two from this draft imo. Imagine if we’d drafted Merrett instead of Freeman though....

Yep. Didn’t Cripps go a few picks later too? I remember reading profiles on Cripps being in a similar mould to Fyfe or Kennedy, and hoping we’d have a crack (without knowing much about the draft prospects other than highlight videos and write ups), but Freeman was touted as the next Dangerfield!

Yep. Didn’t Cripps go a few picks later too? I remember reading profiles on Cripps being in a similar mould to Fyfe or Kennedy, and hoping we’d have a crack (without knowing much about the draft prospects other than highlight videos and write ups), but Freeman was touted as the next Dangerfield!
Patrick Cripps was pick 11.

Scharenberg and him would have been something else.
Plus Langdon.

But imagine we got (our first real want) Bontempelli and Cripps?

Ben Brown in that draft too.
Even Sicily was there.

Strong draft.

I think Scharenberg’s disposal is overrated. He’s neater than Aish but he has no hurt factor. He intercepts better than Aish but Aish’s interceptions aren’t bad. Scharenberg was struggling to keep up with key forwards on the lead last year, I think he’ll have no hope keeping up with someone who’s actually nimble especially after coming back from another acl. I don’t think Aish is a speed demon, but he has Schaz well covered. Schaz is a key defender or nothing.

I agree with everything you have said except for the last sentence. Shaz isn't a key defender. He was shown up alot last year when asked to play it. He is a floating higher half back or nothing in my view (similar to Howe) - not big, strong, or fast enough to play key defence, and not fast or agile enough to play shut down small forward.

Yeah I forgot about Cripps. Him and Langdon would have made it an amazing draft.

Patrick Cripps was pick 11.

Scharenberg and him would have been something else.
Plus Langdon.

But imagine we got (our first real want) Bontempelli and Cripps?

Ben Brown in that draft too.
Even Sicily was there.

Strong draft.

Ben Brown is the one that hurts. Such a bargain too. He'd compliment this team perfectly. I still hope we get him somehow.

When you’re mentally tough, when you have the poise he has, when you have his skill set, they’re the players you want to support.
He’ll be back, he’ll play well.
Look forward to his return.

Ben Brown is the one that hurts. Such a bargain too. He'd compliment this team perfectly. I still hope we get him somehow.
And very unusual for such a good key forward to go late.
Usually the better key forwards get identified early.

When you’re mentally tough, when you have the poise he has, when you have his skill set, they’re the players you want to support.
He’ll be back, he’ll play well.
Look forward to his return.

Stop it Saintly........just stop it......the Bear still hasn’t recovered from your jinxing “gift”

Last edited:
Stop it Saintly........just stop it......the Bear still hasn’t recovered from you jinxing “gift”
I agree, in fact I think that Saintly Viewed might have something to do with Jamie's injury. ;)

I could see him playing the Mayne wing role this time next year if he gets his fitness up to a really high standard. We would need pace around him though, because by league standards he is slow.
Who would he push out, Phillips or WHE?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Scharenberg’s disposal is overrated. He’s neater than Aish but he has no hurt factor. He intercepts better than Aish but Aish’s interceptions aren’t bad. Scharenberg was struggling to keep up with key forwards on the lead last year, I think he’ll have no hope keeping up with someone who’s actually nimble especially after coming back from another acl. I don’t think Aish is a speed demon, but he has Schaz well covered. Schaz is a key defender or nothing.

TBH, I've never seen as much as others, and agree with you. For me, a fit Shaz replaces Roughy. Our best combination would be Moore and Howe as 1 and 2 with Shaz playing 3rd tall; however, I do seem to rate Howe's KPD work much higher than everyone else seems to.

Neither of those, Sidebottom might play more inside or up forward, WHE might be up forward too. Phillips should have a wing locked down for 10 years, his gut running is as good as anyone in the comp. It's be nice if he was a little quicker and a little stronger in the contest, but he's a good player.

Defence is not a great place for mid sized players with no pace in the modern game.

Haven't you heard about the magical powers of our Wing of Redemption. I'm planning on us playing Mayne, Crocker and Oxley (after we take him in the midseason draft) all on the same wing. Should be able to also fit Shaz in there too - during his recovery phase.

1960 Melbourne Cup winner

HI JINX

ED80B909-6A4B-4F09-A418-6081D240B505.jpeg

Haven't you heard about the magical powers of our Wing of Redemption. I'm planning on us playing Mayne, Crocker and Oxley (after we take him in the midseason draft) all on the same wing. Should be able to also fit Shaz in there too - during his recovery phase.
Ah, so this is the new 6-6-6 rule where six players have to start on one wing... am I doing it right?

Not wanting to be too pessimistic but I don’t think we’ll see Shaz this year and probably never see his best at all. He’s coming from a long way back now unfortunately.

Have to agree, big Shaz fan but reckon we’ll never see the player we hoped he would be.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ah, so this is the new 6-6-6 rule where six players have to start on one wing... am I doing it right?

You've got it a bit wrong. The Wing of Redemption isn't a rule, it's more just a magical force field. Look at what it's done to Chris Mayne since we popped him in there. Pop Shaz in there and his pesky rebellious knees will redeem themselves. Pop Crocker and Oxley in there and their Gumby impersonations will magically disappear.

Unfortunately we're not the only club that has discovered it. Bloody WCE have worked out that they just need to pop Jeremy MacGovern in there in there zone press and nothing can get past him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back