"Sack Goodwin!"

Remove this Banner Ad

My post wasn't aimed at you mate, I've disagreed with you before but I think you're an intelligent poster who normally backs up their opinion with logic.

I didn't take ant offence at all, but i like to keep posting on here even during the bad times. But you are right people go quiet when things go against them. Likewise i wasn't trying to have a crack back at you at all.

We all want to the Dees to succeed, i think this group will. The start to the season has been frustrating a) because we can see the talent this list has b) we've suffered long enough and we thought going into this season it could be our year

My post wasn't aimed at you mate, I've disagreed with you before but I think you're an intelligent poster who normally backs up their opinion with logic.

I think schmutts post may have been aimed at me. But I like to think as much as I laugh at myself I also front up when my calls are wrong, and admit when its a "vibe" versus logic*

Bumping the thread wasn't meant to laugh at other people, just myself / ourselves as a collective.

*Except Tyson where I went back and forth about 10 times

Last edited:
I wasn't aiming my post at anyone, lets be honest we are all correct with hindsight. More importantly we are all wired differently so we react differently to the same scenario. Some of us positive, some of us negative. It would be a boring place if we all agreed on everything.

I wasn't aiming my post at anyone, lets be honest we are all correct with hindsight. More importantly we are all wired differently so we react differently to the same scenario. Some of us positive, some of us negative. It would be a boring place if we all agreed on everything.

Agree with you wholeheartedly (Was referencing Schmutts post though)

It is possible just to be neither a half full, half empty and more of a the glass is at 50% of design capacity person though. But bloody hard

I think schmutts post may have been aimed at me. But I like to think as much as I laugh at myself I also front up when my calls are wrong, and admit when its a "vibe" versus logic*

Bumping the thread wasn't meant to laugh at other people, just myself / ourselves as a collective.

*Except Tyson where I went back and forth about 10 times

My post was aimed at the bloke who made the thread. I think at times you’re a bit loopy but you’re not who I was talking about.

My post was aimed at the bloke who made the thread. I think at times you’re a bit loopy but you’re not who I was talking about.

OK I see. Mate I'm old and in a high pressure job and I support the Demons so it can make you a bit loopy. But some of my best ideas are the ones that seem s**t on the first pass, so who knows

First I was cautiously optimistic, then I wanted him sacked immediately. After that I wanted him knighted, now I wish we did give him the arse.

But who knows how I'll feel after the game tonight

First I was cautiously optimistic, then I wanted him sacked immediately. After that I wanted him knighted, now I wish we did give him the arse.

But who knows how I'll feel after the game tonight
I've always wanted him sacked. Even before we appointed him - or even before I'd ever heard of him in a coaching context. I don't chop and change.

Cannot and will not sack a coach with 3 to 4 years left. It just won't happen no matter how dire things get. But he needs a change in the coaches box and a new fitness guy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cannot and will not sack a coach with 3 to 4 years left. It just won't happen no matter how dire things get. But he needs a change in the coaches box and a new fitness guy.
Our fitness guy is up and out anyway isn't he? I won't be weeping

This. The football department needs a purge and Goodwin needs a personality transplant.

Why would you sack him? It makes no sense.
1. He is contracted for 4 years
2. We’ve played 6 games and we might win the next 2
3. No we won’t make finals but we are missing 2 of our KPD to injury

The only criticism right now needs to be fall on the assistants. Goodwin needs to work out how to surround himself with people that can assist him better. The injuries are an issue also so that might change the fitness department at year end.

Apologies for intruding, but I think the calls to sack Goodwin after 6 rounds are a bit extreme.. although with that said, I can totally relate to your board's frustration, because it wasn't long ago that we experienced a similar thing with Dimma.

We started 2016 with a 1-6 record, and had a disastrous year that year, but it ultimately paid off in the end, because it taught Dimma (and honestly the whole club) some very hard lessons, and it made them spring into action and do something about it... I feel like Goodwin might be on a similar path with the Dees.

Also, he's only been in charge for just over 2 full seasons, and in that time, he's already won finals and taken you to a PF, which is more than Dimma did in his 7 years prior to the flag.

Ride it out with him, and I think at some point, he will deliver you guys a flag. Might seem a long way away right now, but the Dees time IS coming, and sacking him wouldn't solve anything at this stage.

I think you guys are just in for a bad year, but it won't be the end of things for your current group in years to come... and it's also important to not lump the failures of the past onto Goodwin's shoulders either, which is partly where I feel the fans frustration is coming from... very similar to why Dimma was hated by some Tigers fans.

Like I said to Dimma haters at the time on my own board, he wasn't responsible for the majority of the flag drought that Richmond had, and neither is Goodwin for the Dees.. he's only in his coaching infancy really, and everything up to this point has been on an upward trend.

None of this excuses the poor performances, but you do tend to learn more from your losses than you do your wins, so in years to come, Goodwin will be a more rounded and hardened coach.

Why would you sack him? It makes no sense.
1. He is contracted for 4 years
2. We’ve played 6 games and we might win the next 2
3. No we won’t make finals but we are missing 2 of our KPD to injury

The only criticism right now needs to be fall on the assistants. Goodwin needs to work out how to surround himself with people that can assist him better. The injuries are an issue also so that might change the fitness department at year end.

Dude I know your right. I just have this sincere question About the responsibilities of the head coach v assistant coaches.

Is he taking all the input and coming up with a game plan, and if his inputs are shot the game plan by definition can’t be good

Or are the assistants responsible for executing his vision?

Cause if it’s the first I sort of get it. If it’s the second then I guess you give him a season or two to show he can learn

I guess obviously motivation and so on falls with the head coach. Not sure here, he seems to go well and then not so well on that front

I'm relieved he is contracted, because I wouldn't even consider sacking him unless we are here again in 12 months, but why did Pert have to extend him until '22? '20 would have been fine, '21 probably the sweet spot.

Dude I know your right. I just have this sincere question About the responsibilities of the head coach v assistant coaches.

Is he taking all the input and coming up with a game plan, and if his inputs are shot the game plan by definition can’t be good

Or are the assistants responsible for executing his vision?

Cause if it’s the first I sort of get it. If it’s the second then I guess you give him a season or two to show he can learn

I guess obviously motivation and so on falls with the head coach. Not sure here, he seems to go well and then not so well on that front
That’s why Pert is paid the big dollars, he has to work this out and come up with the best outcome for the MFC

Sack pert more like it look at his time at the pies and the path we were on and what has happened to the culture of the club since and now he goes to you and you guys start to head down the same path we were on.

I think people need to read the thread, it was originally a parting shot at those questioning Goodwin this time last year.

I don’t think anyone seriously wants Goodwin gone now, moreso questioning the long term reappointment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back