Booing of Gary Ablett

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fans have the right to express their opinion on a player's actions. I've got no problem with Ablett being booed for something he did which people didn't like. I've heard him booed in many games though, so not entirely sure this one was particularly more intense.

I certainly agree that people have a right to boo. I remember booing an umpire when I was a teenager many years ago. I was young, stupid and I did it once because everyone around me was doing it. I must admit that I found it a whole less satisfying that shouting out a comment to the umpis about the need to actually watch the game or something similar. However, I recognise that booing in a group makes you feel one of the crowd, while shouting out something draws attention to yourself and sometimes that was a little embarrassing.

If I had to make a suggestion to the AFL, it might be an idea to place "influencers" at strategic positions around the crowd, and they can start up chants of aussie aussie aussie or something similar. The people booing will follow along, as they do with the booing. The "influencers" could have vouchers that they give out to people who dont boo.... something like 5 cents off a litre of petrol. It's only worth a couple of bucks but I think most booers are highly motivated by such prizes.

I dont believe that admonishing people for doing stupid things really works. The problem with people going on tv and saying that players shouldn't be booed is that their arguments are only useful with people with intelligence. What those experiments with rats tell us, is that while negative reinforcement works - such as giving the booers electric shocks thru their seats - you can get simple mammals to do what you want by giving them a piece of cheese or a free leftover maccas after the game.

Honest question for posters in this thread, how personally aggrieved are you by Ablett pressing 'like' on a social media post? One that he even went as far as to remove and give a valid explanation as to his reasoning for why he did it. Just a rating out of /10. For example, maybe the more sensitive Hawthorn supporters on Monday would give a solid 7/10 on the personal aggrievement front.

I'm genuinely curious if this is a real issue or just outrage culture at it again. Let's do it for science guys!
Def outrage culture, pickled with self discontent projected outwards, salted with fake superiority, basted with a counter equally flawed ideology.

See, now I feel like I’ve lived in an alternate universe to some people. He absolutely WAS booed the same way in the same game last year. I was there and laughing at it. Not to say none of the boos in Monday were inspired by the Barrett-led media stoking but people acting loke Ablett is never booed is very confusing to me, having seen him booed constantly.
Exactly- and in fact there are supporters in both the hawks and the pies camp who are longtime fans of booing. They boo Ablett every game from his first touch, they boo opposition players when they line up for a shot on goal, they booed Menzel when he did his knee, they boo Selwood a bit, they boo the umps. It’s just what they do. I have grown used to it over the years- doesn’t bother me. Good luck to them.

What I found weird is that not once did AFL 360 discuss Ablett liking that post. I watched all 3 episodes on the week it happened and they essentially ignored it. I could not believe they did either as it was a pretty big story at the time.

What I found weird is that not once did AFL 360 discuss Ablett liking that post. I watched all 3 episodes on the week it happened and they essentially ignored it. I could not believe they did either as it was a pretty big story at the time.

because its not in the AFLs best interest to draw attention to this, otherwise they'd be forced to make a tough call. At least the NRL has balls. They'll strip a team of a premiership for cheating, the AFL just ignores it and doesn't want to ruin is "perfect" image.

Because its not worth reporting. Brain dead media outlets like to drum it up and make a song and dance of it, but good on 360 for just ignoring it. Gary liked a post, if that is a big news story God help us all.

because its not in the AFLs best interest to draw attention to this, otherwise they'd be forced to make a tough call. At least the NRL has balls. They'll strip a team of a premiership for cheating, the AFL just ignores it and doesn't want to ruin is "perfect" image.
Are you suggesting the AFL should have sacked or fined Ablett for liking a post? Unbelievable

Humans also invented sports which give a sense of comfort and enjoyment. Religion provides the same to thing to those that believe. Besides, we are all brainwashed to a certain degree.

I've never understood why people can't understand how religion provides a path for some people through this mystery called life. I mean you can say God is mythical, but that is a really naive statement. From a scientific perspective, we haven't even scratched the surface on our understanding of consciousness. Is God real or not? Who really knows. But to say it's a myth is just silly.

I'm guessing you are one of those types of people who parade the ideology of diversity and inclusivity. Your comments above really don't match up with this.

It's not silly at all. Not one religious person ever has provided a fact that God exists.

I've studied theology and the Bible is based on faith not fact which was presented to me by Notre Dame Uni Fremantle. Yet we are to believe based on faith not fact.

Until you or anyone else can prove it to me then it doesn't exist. Just remember humans invented religion and God. We grow out of the Easter Bunny and Tooth Fairy. Some people don't grow out of other made up stories.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd thought so too. s**t effort by Ablett liking the post and even shittier was the bullshit excuse bandied around defending his s**t actions.

I hope Ablett has a gay child.

s**t effort to defend someone under attack for speaking out about their religion?
What is actually s**t is to see free speech under attack by the perpetually offended.

So by attacking Folau's post can we assume that liars, thieves, adulterers are all OK with you and should never suffer a harsh word from anyone?

People who boo others based on the possibility of someone somewhere may perhaps of been offended generally yell boo because they struggle with words longer then 4 letters.

The anzacs fought so that we could be free to boo...
Or a grown adult that admits to liking superhero films, Harry Potter and Star Wars

There's a girl at work who I would be pleased to have sex with and her boyfriend is 40 years old, lives with his mother and dresses up in storm troopers costumes and goes to star wars parties. She told me that his mother still wipes his bum... not sure if he boos. He's welsh so I suppose I really shouldnt bag him..

There's a girl at work who I would be pleased to have sex with and her boyfriend is 40 years old, lives with his mother and dresses up in storm troopers costumes and goes to star wars parties. She told me that his mother still wipes his bum... not sure if he boos. He's welsh so I suppose I really shouldnt bag him..

You sure you want to dip your balls in a woman who is happy being with a dork nerd like this guy? She has to be a complete pig

For those posters who think the booing of a player is okay, did you see the look on Pendel’s face when he was booed. He looked genuinely perplexed. Full marks to Bucks for calling it out. It is a shabby look and sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back