No Oppo Supporters Essendon* - 6900 & Beyond - Carlton Posters ONLY!

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnceWeWereKings

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
That’s what I thought as well. They didn’t get over that moment and I must admit I was surprised a player at his level quite obviously played for a free kick...

Yep, we complain about the standard of umpiring but give players a free pass when they exaggerate contact, drop at the knees, throw themselves forward etc.

It’s the biggest blight on the game and adds to the difficulty of umpiring it.

It’s crept into the game more and more, having evolved from the Selwood shoulder shrug / knee drop. Each teams have players that do it, Murphy being our worst.

With some teams it’s inherent, the Bulldogs are the class leaders.

If you go back and watch last weeks game almost all of their on-ballers (Bont gets a pass here) exaggerate contact, drop at the knees, duck into tackles etc.etc.

As an example, the Newman / McLean push in the back, it was there and should have been paid, but McLean after feeling contact deliberately folds his left leg to fall forward with outstretched arms. It’s blatant exaggeration, and I hope, the reason it wasn’t paid.

Bailey Smith, looks like really good kid, but he’s already doing it. Exaggerating, throwing himself backwards in the tackle. I don’t know if he did it in juniors? I believed he was hard at it (not normally the type to do it) but at the Bulldogs it evolves into their game.

It goes a long way in explaining the Bulldogs free kick differential, it’s systematic in the way they play.

Jul 12, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sturt, 49ers, Braves
Yep, we complain about the standard of umpiring but give players a free pass when they exaggerate contact, drop at the knees, throw themselves forward etc.

It’s the biggest blight on the game and adds to the difficulty of umpiring it.

It’s crept into the game more and more, having evolved from the Selwood shoulder shrug / knee drop. Each teams have players that do it, Murphy being our worst.

With some teams it’s inherent, the Bulldogs are the class leaders.

If you go back and watch last weeks game almost all of their on-ballers (Bont gets a pass here) exaggerate contact, drop at the knees, duck into tackles etc.etc.

As an example, the Newman / McLean push in the back, it was there and should have been paid, but McLean after feeling contact deliberately folds his left leg to fall forward with outstretched arms. It’s blatant exaggeration, and I hope, the reason it wasn’t paid.

Bailey Smith, looks like really good kid, but he’s already doing it. Exaggerating, throwing himself backwards in the tackle. I don’t know if he did it in juniors? I believed he was hard at it (not normally the type to do it) but at the Bulldogs it evolves into their game.

It goes a long way in explaining the Bulldogs free kick differential, it’s systematic in the way they play.

Yeah this is a blight on the game no doubt!
I know Tippa is exciting to watch...but for those that bang on about him and how good he is I see this element in his game and I cant respect him purely based on this. Saw it again a couple of times in yesterdays game...the buckling of the knees to gain head high tackles...and from memory he didn't actually get free kicks for them which I am fine with.

teagueyubeauty

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Somewhere there
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool, Yankees
It's almost funny, given the outcry when Jab Watson was booed during the drugs saga..

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

This in its complete entirety....if a club thinks of bringing Hird back as a coach then they get what they sow. It’ll be unrelenting

May 10, 2007
Under the table
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
Yeah this is a blight on the game no doubt!
I know Tippa is exciting to watch...but for those that bang on about him and how good he is I see this element in his game and I cant respect him purely based on this. Saw it again a couple of times in yesterdays game...the buckling of the knees to gain head high tackles...and from memory he didn't actually get free kicks for them which I am fine with.

He got clipped in the head/neck three times and got none of them. He was a bit stiff, but maybe the umps saw a pattern of leaning into it, too.

There were some howlers yesterday in the last quarter though. The entire game stopped - twice - and players from both sides were sure a free kick was there. That HTB non-decision was unbelievable. I forget who it was, but stepped around one tackle, got mown down from behind, dragged all the way to the ground... then farted out a handball. "Play on!" Or the free kick against Langdon when Baguley had a fistful of Langdon's jumper who did basically nothing wrong.

But I don't really blame "poor umpiring" on the umpires. It's the stupid number of rules and interpretations and rules that are at odds with eachother (contact below the knees vs high/in the back), and now, to the points made above, the staging and gaming from the players.

Jul 12, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sturt, 49ers, Braves
He got clipped in the head/neck three times and got none of them. He was a bit stiff, but maybe the umps saw a pattern of leaning into it, too.

There were some howlers yesterday in the last quarter though. The entire game stopped - twice - and players from both sides were sure a free kick was there. That HTB non-decision was unbelievable. I forget who it was, but stepped around one tackle, got mown down from behind, dragged all the way to the ground... then farted out a handball. "Play on!" Or the free kick against Langdon when Baguley had a fistful of Langdon's jumper who did basically nothing wrong.

But I don't really blame "poor umpiring" on the umpires. It's the stupid number of rules and interpretations and rules that are at odds with eachother (contact below the knees vs high/in the back), and now, to the points made above, the staging and gaming from the players.

I will just say it was obvious (to my eye) he dropped his weight and buckled his knees to gain the head high.
He knows what he's doing...just like Selwood etc.

Otherwise I agree, it was a shockingly adjudicated game and sits among many other games that are questionable... particularly this year.

It seems that all players are now encouraged to fall forward onto their stomachs and spread their arms begging for 'in the back' - gaming for frees is now endemic and a blight on the game. I wonder if the very obvious sling tackle on the Essendon player resulting in his head being smashed into the turf will cop the same treatment as Setterfield?

Mar 8, 2013
On my high horse
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chicago Bears
It seems that all players are now encouraged to fall forward onto their stomachs and spread their arms begging for 'in the back' - gaming for frees is now endemic and a blight on the game. I wonder if the very obvious sling tackle on the Essendon player resulting in his head being smashed into the turf will cop the same treatment as Setterfield?
If it doesn't I'd want a please explain sent to the AFL. It was actually a sling tackle, unlike Setterfield's, and if he doesn't get two weeks it's a complete farce.

teagueyubeauty

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Somewhere there
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool, Yankees

I saw that, absolutely identical to Setterfield. And again there was no second motion it was just the momentum of the player being tackled that caused the tackle to end up like it did. The player being tackled was definitely groggy afterwards.

Only difference was that the player being tackled had both arms pinned which is why I think Carlton should have appealed because that wasn’t the case and the player also has the responsibility to protect themselves when able to.

mrjones

All Australian
Nov 27, 2009
South East Qld
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
That’s what I thought as well. They didn’t get over that moment and I must admit I was surprised a player at his level quite obviously played for a free kick...
I was a bit shocked as well, seemed out of character.
Still a champion but I would have struggled with that if Carlton were playing.

Only * fans can go sick before, during and after the match.

They are special

But when there were attended to by the medicos ... they soldiered on only to BOOOO Pendles .... BRAVE ... oh so BRAVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back