Retired # 5: Devon Smith - Hanging up the boots - Thanks for everything Devon! - 12/8

05 - Smith.jpg

Contract Status: Out of contract 2023
Last Game Played: Round 11, 2022 (inj)
Injury Status: Mid-season knee surgery no time frame yet - 15/6

My Boy Draft 2022: Claim here

Last edited by a moderator:
51% time on ground. 14 touches, 3 clearances, 5 inside 50s in half a game ain't bad.

Hope his knee is okay. :/

gardiner stand

Premiership Player
Dec 3, 2010
fitzroy
AFL Club
Carlton
I’ve got solid contacts at GWS and the mail after the 2017 season was that his knee was chronic and would need ongoing management but in there opinion would not stand up to AFL pressure long term.
Don’t shoot the messenger

Jan 31, 2012
patterson lakes
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
I’ve got solid contacts at GWS and the mail after the 2017 season was that his knee was chronic and would need ongoing management but in there opinion would not stand up to AFL pressure long term.
Don’t shoot the messenger

Yeah we’re well aware he had knee issues, so you’re not making groundbreaking news.

This is from a Cal Twomey article after the post-match press conference, suspect we won't know more until Tuesday or whenever they do the injury update (unless it's severe).

They seem to think it's a different (new) injury from his existing chronic knee.

Devon Smith missed last week as the Bombers managed his chronic knee issue, and struggled for an influence against the Magpies before ending his day prematurely due to a right knee problem.

Worsfold said Smith was fit for selection and that the club believed he may have suffered a new knee complaint.

"He was absolutely 100 per cent fit and felt the best he had this week more than any other week. If there was any week he shouldn't have played it was maybe the first four rounds if you're talking about how he's feeling," he said.

"He was ready to go. Something's happened to his knee, we're not sure yet. I'm guessing it's not the same issue because they're saying they don't really know what it is.

"If it was the same issue they'd just say it's his cranky knee."
https://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2019-04-25/worsfold-proud-of-fight

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
I'm really suspicious of playing a guy who had knee issues that prompted him out of the previous game but we couldn't find anything via scans. You'd want to test him pretty thoroughly in training before putting him out on an AFL field again.

Back