Delisted #28: Mitch Brown - Retired - 20/9/22

Other option, though unlikely, Hartley in and Hooker forward. Haven't heard a thing about Harts for ages though, I take it he's not exactly tearing it up the VFL.

Other option, though unlikely, Hartley in and Hooker forward. Haven't heard a thing about Harts for ages though, I take it he's not exactly tearing it up the VFL.
He's beaten his man both weeks and has used the ball well.

Hird05

All Australian
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
I think Brown is miles ahead of Laverde. And Draper. Neither excel in the vfl against pathetic teams. He's just not young and shiny unfortunately. I'm disappointed he's not in the team. I think he's has a pretty good year overall. Will be a better team when he's back in.

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
We've got a few options but I doubt we will go with Hooker forward unless we are desperate.

Probably will be Clarke in (could theoretically be Draper but so far they haven't picked him) or else Laverde with Stringer to play more as the 2nd tall forward and so we go with more of a medium setup. The coaches haven't shown any propensity for changing our structure so I expect Clarke in for Brown.

Probably will be Clarke in (could theoretically be Draper but so far they haven't picked him) or else Laverde with Stringer to play more as the 2nd tall forward and so we go with more of a medium setup
Re: Clarke in that sounds reasonable too. He hasn't played for two weeks though due to his calf. Hopefully that's gotten better. Bellchambers certainly took a few of marks yesterday as well, though he seems to have trouble keeping his feet under him.

The coaches haven't shown any propensity for changing our structure so I expect Clarke in for Brown.
That's not quite true, they do tinker with it a little. Even within games you can see players moving out of position at times, playing different roles. Stringer in the middle in round 2 for example.

Probably better in most circumstances to assume a like for like change, but when matters get desperate the changes start to get a bit more creative too.

Did Langers play VFL last week or the week before? I think he was named but didn't play..

Played two senior games, dropped in round three (VFL round 2) where the magoos had a bye, then didn't play against North with no explanation.

Dropped on form, doubt he'd be coming back in without playing a game.

Played two senior games, dropped in round three (VFL round 2) where the magoos had a bye, then didn't play against North with no explanation.

He played against Frankston.

That's what I thought too. Although bringing players back in after they've been omitted has happened a couple of times already, usually forced from a withdrawal/late change. He has been named as emergency so it's not like "fix your game before you're gonna get selected again".

The chance of him being selected as a forward seems slim to none though.

He played against Frankston.
Ya that was before. He got dropped, played against Frankston, then the VFL bye, then named against North VFL but didn't play. Now he's named as an "in" against Collingwood VFL. So he hasn't played at all for two weeks?

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
That's not quite true, they do tinker with it a little. Even within games you can see players moving out of position at times, playing different roles. Stringer in the middle in round 2 for example.

Probably better in most circumstances to assume a like for like change, but when matters get desperate the changes start to get a bit more creative too.

I was more thinking in terms of selections, I think they have a certain number of talls they prefer and they tend to stick to that. Another example is the coaches have made it pretty clear they really believe in the 3 small forward balance even though its somewhat contentious given that players like Langford are very capable of playing forward and may be better than Baguley.

Certainly within games we tend to rotate quite a few players through the midfield which is probably one of our most versatile areas. We seem much less inclined to do the forward back switches though which is interesting since Worsfold was primarily known for sending Hunter forward in key moments to the point it almost became his trademark. Certainly we don't see much of Hurley, Hooker and Francis moving up forward even though they have all spent significant time up there at various levels.

Francis is a guy who could play a role up forward but I just don't see the coaches picking him. I think they want him to develop as a defender. I'm not against that either but certainly I think he would go just fine as a forward alongside Daniher and Stringer.

Ya that was before. He got dropped, played against Frankston, then the VFL bye, then named against North VFL but didn't play. Now he's named as an "in" against Collingwood VFL. So he hasn't played at all for two weeks?
My point is that he has played a game since being dropped.

Oct 22, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Essendon
Francis is a guy who could play a role up forward but I just don't see the coaches picking him. I think they want him to develop as a defender. I'm not against that either but certainly I think he would go just fine as a forward alongside Daniher and Stringer.
No to Stringer + Francis for me. Be a terrible way to replace the guy whose work rate has kept him in the side.

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
No to Stringer + Francis for me. Be a terrible way to replace the guy whose work rate has kept him in the side.

But before Brown was in the side it was McKernan who isn't known for his work rate, instead it was his contested marking. You don't need to replace the exact set of attributes of every player that you bring in. In fact before Brown came in everyone on here was complaining that Brown couldn't take contested marks like McKernan could which is the exact same kind of argument.

Oct 22, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Essendon
But before Brown was in the side it was McKernan who isn't known for his work rate, instead it was his contested marking. You don't need to replace the exact set of attributes of every player that you bring in. In fact before Brown came in everyone on here was complaining that Brown couldn't take contested marks like McKernan could which is the exact same kind of argument.
I agree with the replacement not always being like for like, I just think Francis and Stringer both have limited endurance (McKernan is a potential on baller). Recipe for disaster.

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
Dead set unlucky.
Probably the best two weeks of his AFL career before yesterday.

The wrist injury provides some context for his quiet day though yesterday

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Just can't see him working in a forward line with Stringer in enough big games.

Neither Brown or Stringer gives us a consistent aerial presence in the traditional CHF forward role. It's can't all be Joe especially if he is going to have to ruck as well and you can't play a fourth tall with those three.

I can accept that they're not going to drop Brown for Draper on structure alone. It would make a bit of a mockery of selection integrity to do so.

Hopefully Stewart recovers and hits form asap. We'll be a much better side with Stewart providing another marking target. Daniher is just fodder in the ruck so we might as well throw less valuable fodder at the mercy of giants like Cox and Grundy.

Having said all of that, I'd keep Brown on the list for as long as he wants to play. He is very useful depth (because he could also play at half back and take 15 intercept marks a game).

If it wasn't for Stringer I'd be playing Brown each week. Stringer is a very difficult player to get the forward structure right with. He's actually not a good player for structure at all. Problem for Brown is that Stringer isn't going anywhere.

Has anything changed with his injury?
Not listed in the AFL injury report.
Knowing our luck at the moment, he's succumbed to his injuries and a memorial is in place at Windy Hill

Back