Player Watch Chris Mayne (Retired 2021)

Remove this Banner Ad

Even managed a wheelie on Alpe dHuez
That he did.

He’s not quite Peter Sagan when it comes to bike tricks but he really was something.
An outstanding sprinter of highest order. Elite.

On that even higher plane of uber elite sits the wonderful Manx missile, Mark Cavendish and the incomparable Mario Chippolini.

They are mad cats those high octane sprinters.

It goes longer and deeper than that, it came down to Buckley reneging on a deal to play for North and the hatred was incited by Dennis Pagan.

Really wished we’d won that game so he would’ve had to give him the cup

Despite everything said about Buckley time has further proven he has more class in one finger nail clipping than most of his detractors have in their whole being

It goes longer and deeper than that, it came down to Buckley reneging on a deal to play for North and the hatred was incited by Dennis Pagan.

That explains everything, he is great mates of a friend of mine.

Anyway one night out on the piss in S.A. ( 8-10 yrs ago) Buckley’s name comes up.

I say Champion, he counters can play but doesn’t consider a champion.

He’s not a mate of mine but could never work out why so anti Buckley.

Chris Mayne opens up on his emotional first season at Collingwood
Jon Ralph, Herald Sun
April 25, 2019 3:59pm
Subscriber only
Collingwood wingman Chris Mayne says he was in so much emotional turmoil in his first season at the club he would often break down in tears in the club carpark.

Mayne was lampooned for his $500,000 a season deal at the club as he battled to find a role but has turned into one of the club’s most reliable players.
He said in his first year at the club he had few networks and was reluctant to walk the 30m journey past the club’s coaches to see the day-a-week sports psychologist.

The Pies have now boosted their help for players but Mayne said he hit rock bottom when he crossed from Fremantle and was stuck in the VFL.
“It was tough. There were times I would rock up at the club. I got there early which I like to do and I found it very difficult to get out of the car. I would break down calling my fiance saying, ‘What do I do?’, and she was just saying, ‘Don’t show it, keep believing in yourself and the short-term pain will be long-term gain’.

“I hadn’t had time to build the relationships and be part of the club.
“For me it was tough but I had mum, dad, my wife and there were little connections at the club getting stronger and in the end it worked out pretty well.”

Mayne told ABC Radio Collingwood’s review of the club’s operations had improved the psychological care but they were lacking in his first season.
“At Fremantle there was always 24/7 sport psychologist who I utilised every day and at Collingwood there wasn’t that support
“It was once a week and funnily enough being at the club to try to go to his office went past the coaches office, past everyone else. That 30m walk was daunting within itself
You were thinking, ‘Who am I coming past while I trying to have the conversation’.
“The place with its support network from top to bottom has come together.
“My relationship with Bucks (Nathan Buckley) and Pendles (Scott Pendlebury) has become so much stronger and so much more caring.”

ACB commentator Mick Malthouse said he found it “staggering” there was so little support for Mayne in that season.
His father Steve at one stage actually called the club to ask them to help him given his problems in acclimatising to a new club.
similars

Mayne suffered a painful back injury in his 200th game and while he is easing back into training hopes he is only 2-4 weeks away from a return.
“When I copped the knee I could feel something towards my disc area and spoke to the docs and said I know it’s not a cork, it’s something a bit deeper.
“I went to the hospital to find out I had fractured my L2 and L3 transverse process.
“It’s not really a time frame but it’s improving each day and hopefully each day I will keep pushing it to see what I can do. Once it knits together you can push through the pain.”

Jon Ralph, Herald Sun
Subscriber only
Collingwood wingman Chris Mayne says he was in so much emotional turmoil in his first season at the club he would often break down in tears in the club carpark.

Mayne was lampooned for his $500,000 a season deal at the club as he battled to find a role but has turned into one of the club’s most reliable players.
He said in his first year at the club he had few networks and was reluctant to walk the 30m journey past the club’s coaches to see the day-a-week sports psychologist.

The Pies have now boosted their help for players but Mayne said he hit rock bottom when he crossed from Fremantle and was stuck in the VFL.
“It was tough. There were times I would rock up at the club. I got there early which I like to do and I found it very difficult to get out of the car. I would break down calling my fiance saying, ‘What do I do?’, and she was just saying, ‘Don’t show it, keep believing in yourself and the short-term pain will be long-term gain’.

“For me it was tough but I had mum, dad, my wife and there were little connections at the club getting stronger and in the end it worked out pretty well.”

Mayne told ABC Radio Collingwood’s review of the club’s operations had improved the psychological care but they were lacking in his first season.
“At Fremantle there was always 24/7 sport psychologist who I utilised every day and at Collingwood there wasn’t that support
“It was once a week and funnily enough being at the club to try to go to his office went past the coaches office, past everyone else. That 30m walk was daunting within itself
You were thinking, ‘Who am I coming past while I trying to have the conversation’.
“My relationship with Bucks (Nathan Buckley) and Pendles (Scott Pendlebury) has become so much stronger and so much more caring.”

ACB commentator Mick Malthouse said he found it “staggering” there was so little support for Mayne in that season.
His father Steve at one stage actually called the club to ask them to help him given his problems in acclimatising to a new club.
similars

Mayne suffered a painful back injury in his 200th game and while he is easing back into training hopes he is only 2-4 weeks away from a return.
“When I copped the knee I could feel something towards my disc area and spoke to the docs and said I know it’s not a cork, it’s something a bit deeper.
“I went to the hospital to find out I had fractured my L2 and L3 transverse process.
“It’s not really a time frame but it’s improving each day and hopefully each day I will keep pushing it to see what I can do. Once it knits together you can push through the pain.”

It’s disappointing that the club left players feeling so isolated and vulnerable - that is culture 101, but it’s pleasing that we’ve addressed it. It highlights what impact a healthy culture and engagement can have on performance (nothing new there).

It also puts things into perspective. The amount of vitriol directed at Mayne from us as a supporter base was quite horrific, and whilst we’re entitled to have our say, it’s easy to forget there is a human at the other end of it.

Fascinating the support, or lack thereof, in his first year.

I assume he didn’t read bigfooty either at the time.

It’s disappointing that the club left players feeling so isolated and vulnerable - that is culture 101, but it’s pleasing that we’ve addressed it. It highlights what impact a healthy culture and engagement can have on performance (nothing new there).

It also puts things into perspective. The amount of vitriol directed at Mayne from us as a supporter base was quite horrific, and whilst we’re entitled to have our say, it’s easy to forget there is a human at the other end of it.

Well said mate...……..I couldn't have said it any better if I tried.

Good post, and very well said.

The only thing I feel like adding to your comment is that I am genuinely staggered that there wasn't a full-time psychologist at the time. Given the amount of pressure and scrutiny of an elite environment, and the varied levels of maturity of the people trying to excel in that environment, it shocks me that Collingwood took so long to have those supports in place.

It's hard to read what Mayne had to go through that year, but it makes me more appreciative of the mettle of the bloke to be able to come out on the other side of that hell.

Last edited:
Jon Ralph, Herald Sun
Subscriber only

similars

IF that was how bad it was. No Wonder we Sucked for quite a Few years

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good post, and very well said.

The only thing I feel like adding to your comment is that I am genuinely staggered that there wasn't a full-time psychologist at the time. Given the amount of pressure and scrutiny of an elite environment, and the varied levels of maturity of the people trying to excel in that environment, it shocks me that Collingwood took so long to have those supports in place.

It's hard to read what Mayne had to go through that year, but it makes me more appreciative of the mettle of the bloke to be able to come out on the other side of that hell.

Hey, the club had to spend all their money on our awesome media department... how could we also afford psychologists?

Last edited:
Jon Ralph, Herald Sun
Subscriber only

similars

I hope everybody who made anonymous personal attacks against him on social media forums such as this has a read and a good think about what they say and how they say it.

It is a disgrace that Mayne was so unsupported in his first year given that Fremantle had better support structures in place. Jonathan Marsh may have felt similarly unsupported as he would have been around the club at the same time. I can't remember making a personal attack though I probably expressed surprise at his salary - I can't remember and don't wish to refresh my memory using the search function. But I am surprised that the club left players of his ilk to fend for themselves, to cry in the car park pre training. I would have thought that I supported a club which had the money and nouse to cover all bases, but it seems I am wrong. Makes me sad to think that highly paid players can be so dismally treated by what is supposedly the richest and most enlightened club in the land.

My take from that article....
You poor fella, (genuinely),
What a guy to tough it out and become what he has,
The club has taken some learnings from it,
Mick Malthouse - * right off, as if it was any better in your day!

It is a disgrace that Mayne was so unsupported in his first year given that Fremantle had better support structures in place. Jonathan Marsh may have felt similarly unsupported as he would have been around the club at the same time. I can't remember making a personal attack though I probably expressed surprise at his salary - I can't remember and don't wish to refresh my memory using the search function. But I am surprised that the club left players of his ilk to fend for themselves, to cry in the car park pre training. I would have thought that I supported a club which had the money and nouse to cover all bases, but it seems I am wrong. Makes me sad to think that highly paid players can be so dismally treated by what is supposedly the richest and most enlightened club in the land.

What I have heard why Marsh left this Explains a lot

My take from that article....
You poor fella, (genuinely),
What a guy to tough it out and become what he has,
The club has taken some learnings from it,
Mick Malthouse - **** right off, as if it was any better in your day!

I never been a MM Fan even when we won then Flag and he just proves me right now

Remove this Banner Ad

Back