2019 Formula One Season

Aug 10, 2011
Somewhere near Rachael Neiberding
AFL Club
Carlton
I was looking at what would be a fair way to judge Ricciardo's performance at Renault. Accounting for the fact fans (Here, other sites, and media) lament his move to Renault because it lessens the chance of getting a win or glory result. Keeping in mind he has to keep his reputation high when his contract is up to take advantage of a possible oppotunity at a better team.

At Renault atm, the end result is going to be dictated by the adversity the top teams suffer. Ricciardo finished 7th in China, which is the best result he could manage because nothing bad happened to the top teams. On another day, he could finish 5th/6th but it might not be such a great performance because a number of the front runners had a crash or mechanical failure.

Looking at Renault driver's results from last season. Sainz had 13 points finishes and Hulkenberg 11. Hulkenberg beat Sainz in the championship by a reasonable margin due to 8 top 7 finishes to Sainz 4. So I think these are numbers we can look out for to see if Ricciardo is still up to it.

Something I'm a stickler for is consecutive finishes (wins, podiums or points). It's alright having the best car, but consecutive results often changes the context of a championship and puts pressure on rivals. So this is something I think we should be looking at how Riccardo does, because that's what he's going to have to do in a better car. Last year, Hulkenberg had two spells of 3 points finishes, and Sainz had a great run of 6 one time.

So there's how I'm going to judge Ricciardo this season. Total points finishes, total top 7 finishes (maybe top 8, because Hulkenberg is very good as well), and his consecutive run of points finishes.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
25th anniversary of Roland Ratzenberger and Ayrton Senna's deaths today and tomorrow.
Did some reading on Roland before the 20th anniversary. Drove for the same F3 team Senna, Hakkinen and Barrichello did.

Won races in many quality series and the Formula Ford Fesitival, had a 5th place finish at Le Mans too. Like Senna he won several races in the wet.... but never had the cash to do a full season in any category.

Was going to race in IndyCar, had a drive with Newman-Haas lined up after running similar times to Michael Andretti in a test but wanted to drive F1.

He got his chance....... and it went way too soon.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
IndyCar driver with Newman Haas???
Or whatever that team was called, basically he could have had the seat in 92 before Mansell got there. Didn't have much cash and still wanted to get to F1.

Or whatever that team was called, basically he could have had the seat in 92 before Mansell got there. Didn't have much cash and still wanted to get to F1.
Newman/Haas is correct

Newman/Haas Racing was an auto racing team that competed in the CART series and the IndyCar Series from 1983 to 2011. The team operations were based in Lincolnshire, Illinois. Newman/Haas Racing was formed as a partnership between actor, automotive enthusiast, and semi-professional racer Paul Newman and long-time auto racing impresario Carl Haas. The duo were competitors in sports car racing during the 1970s and early 1980s. In 1983, joined forces to enter the ranks of Indy car racing. Newman/Haas was one of the most-successful teams in Indy car racing during the 1980s, 1990s, and 2000s. The team won 105 CART/Champ Car races and eight season championships.

During the 1980s, and for the better part of the 1990s, the team was closely aligned with the Andretti family. In 1983, Mario Andretti signed as the primary driver, an arrangement that would carry him through the remainder of his career, until his retirement in 1994. Michael Andretti joined the team in 1989–1992 and again in 1995–2000. Both Mario and Michael won a CART championship driving for the team. Newman/Haas was also the team for which Nigel Mansell competed in CART, winning the 1993 title.

For anyone who hasnt got the F1 Beyond the Grid podcast on their smart device, you must get it just for the Murray Walker episode they recently added. I just finished it then driving home and its so good to hear that mans voice again. Has lots of great stories, including things like fighting in WW2 in a tank regimen which i had no idea about. Mentioned that Australia is his favourite place to go for F1. But the highlight came at the very end which had me clapping like a seal and grinning like a cheshire cat.

Do yourselves a favour and listen to it if you havent already!

Feb 11, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Has lots of great stories, including things like fighting in WW2 in a tank regimen which i had no idea about.

If you read his autobiography, he didn't so much fight as was part of the clean up effort. By the time he left training, the war was nearing its conclusion and he fortunately avoided any engagement, watching the fighting from afar.

DamoESP

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs, Dallas Stars
Awesome news that we have a new (well, returning) track confirmed for 2020.
Not so awesome news that a few of the drivers (VER, HAM) say you can't overtake and it's going to be a procession.
And from the onboard lap, I cant really see many overtaking opportunities...

Apparently they are making some adjustments to the track so hoping the widen it up in areas etc.

EDIT: as a side note, how good does that car sound compared to the current crop hahaha

Back