Analysis Play Todd Marshall...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope Dixon can come back and bring his old contested marking form with him. That should crack a few defences open with Ryder, Marshall and Hoff around him.

Sep 24, 2008
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
La lakers. Oakland Raiders, bunny’s
Love the kid, is getting better at the little things with every game .

Every time we drop him it take away the opportunity to play structured football and halts his development.

Our spine need to play now every week as they are all developing.

Sep 24, 2008
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
La lakers. Oakland Raiders, bunny’s
I prefer forwards that can actually mark and kick more like Westhoff/Marshall than Dixon.

I like a forward line with both, if they can create forward line spacing they are extremely hard to defend.

Imagine the ball coming in and having Ryder and Marshall leading up and across we will get so many more one on one contests.

Add Charlie to the mix and our forward line looks close to elite if coached correctly and with some smart midfield play.

Was all over many plays. He’s key to our success
Just imagine if he could take a contested mark, or kick even a point. Utterly useless yet again v North but at least, like v West Coast, he was trying to get involved.

AFC AFeederClub

Club Legend
Nov 23, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
We would not be just giving him games for the sake of it, we are playing our most winningest player who has a demonstrable impact on team performance AND developing our most promising key position prospect since Warren G.

Early call but even in his present form I already like him more than Dixon, his quick hands and deft taps create more scoring chains, he suits our play on at all cost style, our players don't get lazy just bombing it long to a known gorilla AND he's a better finisher.
this is true, but i dont think Todd will ever develop into traditional type full forward and it would be foolishness to try and point him in that direction. His best role is the 2nd forward that works off the goal square gorilla and works for the goal square gorilla, he will always be a better player with another big body around him.

Sep 11, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Wayne Carey said, whilst discussing Todd in the channel 7 coverage, that young key forwards don’t need to get carried away worrying about always marking the football. What they do need to worry about is making sure that they don’t get out-marked. It’s about stopping your opponent intercepting and taking them when you can.

Todd rarely gets out marked.

Would like to see Darren Smith work one on one with Todd to reinforce the mentality you need to be a top centre half forward.

The tactics of the game have changed but the fundamentals remain the same. Command the ball, lead your defender to the contest, mark when you can and force a spillage where you can't, unbalance defenders with your mobility, win ground ball and get to as many contests as you can.

Smithy did it all over and over. He was the most reliable of set shots too.

NEGAN

Premium Gold
Apr 26, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I would hate to see TODD play in a team that doesn’t sit the ball constantly on his head and can honour a lead...
He does drop the odd sitter though.

He is almost there we just need to persist, it will come.

Magus

Cancelled
10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks
Even if you don't rate his form right now, he stays in. He's now played 14 and that's one
game closer to 50. Experience is key.

Magus

Cancelled
10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks
One observation I have is that he needs to lead harder. Can be a bit difficult with the unpredictability of our kicking inside 50, but I think some of his dropped marks are due to not getting enough separation from his opponent. There was some missed pushes in the back for sure but that's less of an issue if they can't reach you.

I wonder whether Todd Marshall would benefit from spending some time with Jenny Williams in a mentoring role. He has been through some really trying times outside of football and I expect that is still impacting on his game. Perhaps the motivation to play well to make his parents proud and happy is not there now. Every time I hear Jenny speak I am impressed by her enthusiasm and optimism and how much she cares about the wellbeing of the people she works with and wants them to be the best they can be. She also knows football clubs inside out and knows what is expected from the players from an on-field perspective. Of course, Todd would have to be keen on the idea too.

JUSTWORK

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I wonder whether Todd Marshall would benefit from spending some time with Jenny Williams in a mentoring role. He has been through some really trying times outside of football and I expect that is still impacting on his game. Perhaps the motivation to play well to make his parents proud and happy is not there now. Every time I hear Jenny speak I am impressed by her enthusiasm and optimism and how much she cares about the wellbeing of the people she works with and wants them to be the best they can be. She also knows football clubs inside out and knows what is expected from the players from an on-field perspective. Of course, Todd would have to be keen on the idea too.

Id quite like to get her Brother mentoring him.

portly

Premiership Player
Apr 8, 2001
SA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I did once speak negatively about Jenny, mainly because it didn't seem right for her role in the team that her brother coached.

To me her strength has always been to have a go and be positive and energetic.

Yes, she just might help.

I did once speak negatively about Jenny, mainly because it didn't seem right for her role in the team that her brother coached.

To me her strength has always been to have a go and be positive and energetic.

Yes, she just might help.
It would still be dependent on whether Todd was interested to start with, but it just seems that her priority would be the players wellbeing off the field, but she also has a strong sporting background herself and would have been a very competitive player herself.

Anyway, just a thought.

Sep 26, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Would like to see Darren Smith work one on one with Todd to reinforce the mentality you need to be a top centre half forward.

The tactics of the game have changed but the fundamentals remain the same. Command the ball, lead your defender to the contest, mark when you can and force a spillage where you can't, unbalance defenders with your mobility, win ground ball and get to as many contests as you can.

Smithy did it all over and over. He was the most reliable of set shots too.
That was such a good era, Smith, Hodges, Hynes combo and the Raging Bull of course.

Last edited:

Chrizzt

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Been thinking for awhile that a number of games at centre half back would assist his development. Howard who came as a forward seems to be progressing nicely from that. Also battle a forward has gone alright there from same draft.
Marshall doesn’t have the guts to play as a defender. Would get absolutely creamed

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
Been thinking for awhile that a number of games at centre half back would assist his development. Howard who came as a forward seems to be progressing nicely from that. Also battle a forward has gone alright there from same draft.

Bit different as Dougal was never moved back for development, but because he was to be a permanent defender.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back