Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
Sier and Brodie would be good gets.
IF the AFL would let us trade a future 1st again, wouldn't be opposed to swapping the 2020 1st for Brodie and GCS' 2nd, using the 2nd to land Sier - should the clubs agree to such a deal.

I hear this - he's rated quite highly. As he should be, he's a monster kid who could/should be their #1. Yet he's continually dropped.
Anyways, point being - we need ruck depth. Clarke is a stop gap for the year. TBC is getting closer and closer to retirement. We have a lot of eggs in the Draper basket.
As it is tracking, if Brodie doesnt play much this year i wouldnt be involving a 1st rounder at all.
He is currently a pick 9 that cant break into a Gold Coast midfield that, on talent, he should wall into. A second rounder is all i would offer. If they say no (which they well might) i would wait till next year when he is out of contract.

I get the logic of wanting to add another ruckman. I guess what i was trying to say is that we already have a young ruck on a similar development cycle to Darcy. It seems silly to to use draft capital and salary cap room to bring in a ruckman who is the same age and potential as the developmental ruck we already have - and possibly stifling the development of both.
While another developmental ruck is a good idea, i would rather pick up another developmental ruck in either of the drafts and extend T-Bell and/or Clarke for another year.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
As it is tracking, if Brodie doesnt play much this year i wouldnt be involving a 1st rounder at all.
He is currently a pick 9 that cant break into a Gold Coast midfield that, on talent, he should wall into. A second rounder is all i would offer. If they say no (which they well might) i would wait till next year when he is out of contract.

I get the logic of wanting to add another ruckman. I guess what i was trying to say is that we already have a young ruck on a similar development cycle to Darcy. It seems silly to to use draft capital and salary cap room to bring in a ruckman who is the same age and potential as the developmental ruck we already have - and possibly stifling the development of both.
While another developmental ruck is a good idea, i would rather pick up another developmental ruck in either of the drafts and extend T-Bell and/or Clarke for another year.
Hopefully our 1st is higher than 14 in 2020. their 2nd this year should be top 25.
so a 10pt downgrade and we land Sier and Brodie in that hypothetical.

That said, probably just as likely as trading our current 2nd and GWS' 2nd for them this year.

id take 2 developmental rucks vs 1 and a couple that are getting too old to compete. If it ends up they keep pressure on each other, thats not a bad thing.

Hopefully our 1st is higher than 14 in 2020. their 2nd this year should be top 25.
so a 10pt downgrade and we land Sier and Brodie in that hypothetical.

That said, probably just as likely as trading our current 2nd and GWS' 2nd for them this year.

id take 2 developmental rucks vs 1 and a couple that are getting too old to compete. If it ends up they keep pressure on each other, thats not a bad thing.

We have a surplus in some areas - like halfback flanks or the Mosquito fleet where you could look to extract some value.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
I mean I can see Clarke and Bellchambers having a couple of years of depth ruck after this year if Draper takes over at the end of the year, giving us a chance to take another young ruck in the RD.

And at the end of the year we'll have 3 category B list spots open, we can potentially get a Mason Cox through that.

This is the way to go, in my opinion.

Go and find some genetic freak we can develop for 3 years without taking up a list spot.

Snake Charmer

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 11, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Minnesota Timberwolves
Why would you go after either of them? Dunstan is too slow and we had a a very good look at Hind when he was running around n our 2s.

If available I would chase Jack Martin again, the only thing stopping him coming to Essendon last trade period was the Shiel deal
I wouldn't.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
Why would you go after either of them? Dunstan is too slow and we had a a very good look at Hind when he was running around n our 2s.

If available I would chase Jack Martin again, the only thing stopping him coming to Essendon last trade period was the Shiel deal
Martin's price could become a sticking point.
But he'd be a great inclusion for Bags' spot

Daniher, Stringer, Brown, Martin, Fanta, Tippa
We'd have a top 3 forward line there (Eagles and Pies ahead of us)
Combine that with a top 3 backline and what is beginning to look like a competitive midfield.

If we could get Draper to take the next step, or find a mobile stop gap for him for the next 2-3 years, we'd be ready to challenge.
A better ruck and small/medium forward option is where i see us being deficient at the moment.

I think the ruck thing is hyperbole. Bellchambers is a good enough ruck

Last year WC won with a steady Lycett and Vardy (good but not world beaters)
Nankervis is middle of the road
Jordan Roughead was the Dogs #1 ruck
My history on Ben McEvoy is well documented

The last time a genuine gun ruck won a flag was Mumford in 2012.

I would have a sneaky look at Nakia Cockatoo. OOC and I reckon he'd slide in our side nicely, with his injury history I doubt he'd cost too much as well.

Jul 16, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon

I would have a sneaky look at Nakia Cockatoo. OOC and I reckon he'd slide in our side nicely, with his injury history I doubt he'd cost too much as well.

A gun ruckman won a flag in 2013, 2014 and 2015.

Your history with McEvoy not withstanding

A gun ruckman won a flag in 2013, 2014 and 2015.

Your history with McEvoy not withstanding
He's average at best. Most overrated player at Hawthorne by a country mile.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon

Mumford wasn’t a particularly dominant force as a ruck anyway, his strength was his work around the ball following that.

McEvoy is quality, and more reliable than Bellchambers.

When he’s playing well Bellchambers is actually quite a good ruckman, but a combination of injury and interest means we never quite know which Bellchambers will turn up. He does ok against the top tier guys, but never really monsters inexperienced guys.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jul 16, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
He's average at best. Most overrated player at Hawthorne by a country mile.

tenor.gif

You're underrating McEvoy. Whilst he's not a great tap ruckman he's good at everything else and is probably the best ruck in the comp at getting back and taking intercept marks in defence.
Nah, I'm not. He's a shocking tap ruckman and I'll acknowledge that he's better at beating up on weak rucks like Phillips, he regularly gets comfortably beaten by the likes of Gawn, Grundy and Martin. He's nowhere near the top tier that everybody says he's in.

Kakkle

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jun 2, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Los Angeles Dodgers
Nah, I'm not. He's a shocking tap ruckman and I'll acknowledge that he's better at beating up on weak rucks like Phillips, he regularly gets comfortably beaten by the likes of Gawn, Grundy and Martin. He's nowhere near the top tier that everybody says he's in.

No one is saying he is a top tier ruckman. He is certainly better then what you say he is though. Notice how no one has ever really agreed with you on this board in regards to him?

Last edited:

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Was looking for a post that was questioning whether there would be more controversy than usual at the end of the year about what type of players we need to be selecting but I couldn't find it.

My response would be the more things change the more they stay the same (at least from our lay perspective).

If you do a breakdown of the list into positions, we actually have stacks of midfielders or at least enough to cover all rotations in the two teams we play each week - that's why it wa sno surprise that we didn't select any mids last year. We just don't have any kids playing midfield in the twos with any reputation. We also have no apparent inclination to play any of the hybrids Dodoro drafted to play in middle.

The difference now is at least Myers and Clarke. Myers is out of contract at the end of the year. At the current rate only a madman would be planning on him playing 22 games next year. Clarke is facing a very steep uphill battle to maintain his position, rate of possession is not going to save him if his kicking does not improve dramatically.

So we should be thinking that we have at least 2 midfield spots freed up at the end of the year. I for one am going to drop the pretense that we're every going to try Laverde or Begley in the middle of the ground.

Short version of the story is that we need to draft midfielders. At this point in time, with the two second round picks I'd be taking midfielders.

The only type of player that would cause me to rethink at this point in time would be a young Alex Pearce. Every side needs at least one monster KPD because the KPFs are not getting any smaller. Ideally this guy is also a great athlete. Hooker is getting old and I doubt Hartley is a feature of long term planning. I also don't think he is good enough.

Would definitely like to add another 200cm forward to develop to play as a forward/second ruck (a kid like De Koning).

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
We have BZT as a Pearce like player imho

A 2nd ruck/fwd should be on the agenda.

I do not count players like Laverde, Langford as mids. They are flankers who we want to be kids. Mynot and Clarke are genuine midfielders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess we just aren't prepared for them to grow up.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
We have BZT as a Pearce like player imho

A 2nd ruck/fwd should be on the agenda.

I do not count players like Laverde, Langford as mids. They are flankers who we want to be kids. Mynot and Clarke are genuine midfielders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BZT is no where near that size. He's basically the same size and shape as Ridley.

Admittedly he's got a nice leap on him but the point of Pearce is to have someone to physically match the monsters.

Hooker is our tallest key defender, listed at 196 but he doesn’t play a vertical game at all so he may as well be 192.

Need someone that can match it with the Wright’s, Lynch’s and Hipwood’s of the world. Fully agree it’s a need

Umm...what?

He plants his feet, sticks his arse out and bodies blokes, can’t get off the ground.

There’s nothing inherently wrong with that but when you couple it with Hurley and Ambrose who are in the same boat it becomes a fraction samey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back