Sydney Swans 2019 Season

Swannies in 2019?

• Sink. They've been up consistently for a long time. Their time is up. Longmire's one dimensional

Votes: 94 61.4%
  • Swim. They're like an old war horse that know's how to get it done. Still a dangerous side.

Votes: 18 11.8%
  • Staying afloat. Will make the finals, but won't have a say in serious matters in 2019

Votes: 41 26.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Given how well gws go this year, AFL might get some attention.

On a side note, if I was a swans fan /player , I would be pissed at the though of out of nowhere having 3 new codes come in and take up our training base. The SCG is an oval , I do understand why soccer and rugby need to be played there; particularly since both get low crowds. Yes I know that traditionally it’s an nrl ground but still.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
The Swans chose to hitch their skirt to the SCG. That may well be the right call. In the short term they'll have to wear it.
The SCG trust is the dominant force. There's no way they'll allow the movement of other sports to ANZ or the new Parramatta stadium and make themselves irrelevant during the rebuild.

The Swans chose to hitch their skirt to the SCG. That may well be the right call. In the short term they'll have to wear it.
The SCG trust is the dominant force. There's no way they'll allow the movement of other sports to ANZ or the new Parramatta stadium and make themselves irrelevant during the rebuild.

Sorry but all these other sports barely get 10k at a game If lucky. This billion dollar stadium deal is such a waste of money. It would be so much better for both league and union to get some local exposure and play some games at local grounds whilst waiting for SFS to be build. Same can be said about soccer.
The scg isn’t even designed for any of these sports anymore. And many athletes from these codes always complain about the pitch.

Sorry but all these other sports barely get 10k at a game If lucky. This billion dollar stadium deal is such a waste of money. It would be so much better for both league and union to get some local exposure and play some games at local grounds whilst waiting for SFS to be build. Same can be said about soccer.
The scg isn’t even designed for any of these sports anymore. And many athletes from these codes always complain about the pitch.

That Doesn't address what I said though.

To paraphrase the great Mick Malthouse, looking at our draw I'm struggling to find a game we will win

Just kidding, we've got the Roos in about round 9 I think!

Another loss and once again props to many of the Swans fans who forecasted this.

Familiar theme being played here but it's disappointing. The Swans are better than this or at least they used to be. Footy's a funny game and teams fortunes change in a flash. Adelaide, Freo and now Sydney have made Grand Final's in recent times and all have slipped off the radar very quickly afterwards at some point. Freo and Adelaide are at least showing signs they're on the way up again to some degree, now the Swans are sliding.

Melbourne another who've gone from the top to bottom very fast.

Swans made a big investment in winning a flag 2014-2017 and while they got close, they couldn’t pull it off. Everything was geared towards fielding the best team then, deal with the consequences later.

I don’t blame them, this sport is about winning flags, not sitting at 6th every year. It’s not poor recruiting, it was an educated gamble. Boom and bust.

Swans are just bad at the moment, no 22-27 year old talent. Happens when you can’t trade anyone in for 3 years.

Defence is still good, but we can’t keep it on our forward line, we need another good inside mid and we need better skills.

Need two Heeneys really.

Some kids will develop and we’ll slowly work our way back up the ladder.

He said “fielding”. Sydney slides very quickly when you remove McVeigh, Grundy and Buddy from the team and replace them with 10 gamers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That list age average doesn't reflect the reality of where the Swans are at. Most of the list veterans (Grundy, Smith, McVeigh and Jack) are out of the side and likely gone at the end of the year. The forward line last night against GWS included an age profile of 18, 19, 19 and a 20 year-old and anchored by a 22-yr-old Heeney playing out of position. We'll be better when the 20-year-old Will Hayward returns. Buddy and Menzel might help as well. I laugh when the commentators repeatedly call us battle-hardened. The team is tracking where it probably should. They'll be ok long-term.

We've prematurely written off the Swans in 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015......

Let's wait until they mathematically can't make finals before we write them off in 2019.

We won't be making the finals.

I just wish that Longmire would play guys like Heeney, Mills and now Rowbottom as midfielders. I have never seen a coach before who absolutely refuses to play young midfielders in the midfield. I mean if Longmire somehow got Sam Walsh into the side this year he would have played Walsh in the forward pocket. Our midfield is shite, why not leave Heeney, Mills and Rowbottom there and let them develop.

Time for meaningful regime change at that footy club. This season really should be Horse's swansong

Pretty simple no COLA no $wans. Don’t hear the media circle jerking about their incredible culture and magnificent bloods culture now. They are well and truly back in the back with an even playing field (even though they have unearthed some absolute gems from the NSW academy) It’s quite funny how they paid massive $$$ to keep on players such as Hannebery and Rohanand then offloaded them as soon as the COLA cash was withdrawn and these two were being seriously overpaid

The Franklin experiment didnt work as they went all in and would no double trade him in a heartbeat if they could get out of the his remaining contract.

Looks like a transition year of sorts. Need an injection of youth and some fresh faces and ideas in the coaching ranks. Either Longmire reinvents himself and his strategies or someone else takes over.

Im rooting for a bottom 4 finish as the Eagles traded in the Swans 2nd rounder for 2019.

Pretty simple no COLA no $wans. Don’t hear the media circle jerking about their incredible culture and magnificent bloods culture now. They are well and truly back in the back with an even playing field (even though they have unearthed some absolute gems from the NSW academy) It’s quite funny how they paid massive $$$ to keep on players such as Hannebery and Rohanand then offloaded them as soon as the COLA cash was withdrawn and these two were being seriously overpaid

The Franklin experiment didnt work as they went all in and would no double trade him in a heartbeat if they could get out of the his remaining contract.

Some of what you said is about right, would sound better if you fixed your grammer.

But what the Swans have also done is kick arse with late picks, they have been very good. They need to focus on a dominant ruck, quality mids and pace. The success with their academy and low draft picks have been with flankers forward and back. Need to replenish the engine room.

Lost 7 of their last 8 at home. The one victory was against the Pies late last year... by 2 points.

Thankfully (for them) their next home game is against their SCG bunny team. No Gary Rohan this time though.

Back