Past #43: Aaron Hall - Shinboner #1013 retires after 58 NM games - Thanks Aaron

Remove this Banner Ad

20 and 2 goals, 4 tackles and not even near his best

He has a huge ceiling

I thought he had a poor game at one point but he seemed to lift afterward.

I'm wondering what I missed that has everyone's back up. I didn't see anything particularly bad or worse than anyone else.

benbanjo

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Playing abit s**t at the moment, although his output is still better than some others.
Some of his efferts were strange, looked to be hobbling at times too.

dus

Premiership Player
May 14, 2002
Poker Table
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Looks injured when defensive transitioning.

Moves like Usain Bolt going forward.

He’s definitely an outside type.

Nov 2, 2014
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
#TeamTurboChooks
I thought he had a poor game at one point but he seemed to lift afterward.

I'm wondering what I missed that has everyone's back up. I didn't see anything particularly bad or worse than anyone else.
He made some really big mistakes... apart from that he was good. Should have had 20 & 3.

HTPunter

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Good stat line but is extremely average.

Not in our worse 6 so won't get dropped. But his spot isn't being saved by his good performances - it's by others being shitter/injured.

To think so many were saying that he'd flourish at North because of the good defensive culture, and the only reason he didn't do well at GC was because they are a rabble.

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'd give him a little while before writing him off yet. Only got started on getting over his ENT issues a few weeks ago, so I'm hoping his one way running is a hangover from that. He has a lot of upside so with the season shot I don't see what harm can be done in playing him the whole year before writing him off.

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
I'd give him a little while before writing him off yet. Only got started on getting over his ENT issues a few weeks ago, so I'm hoping his one way running is a hangover from that. He has a lot of upside so with the season shot I don't see what harm can be done in playing him the whole year before writing him off.

This reported post exercise throat swelling / stenosis.

Anyone know how it has been addressed?
Not exactly sure what the problem is or treatment would entail.
From what he says sounds like a croup kind of thing..
Nebulised adrenaline?
He obviously hasn’t had any surgery for an anatomical abnormality.

I’m interested to see if whatever treatment he had leads to any performance changes.

Saw the first half this week and he wasn’t particularly good but did see he kicked a couple in the second half so maybe ran out the game better..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
This reported post exercise throat swelling / stenosis.

Anyone know how it has been addressed?
Not exactly sure what the problem is or treatment would entail.
From what he says sounds like a croup kind of thing..
Nebulised adrenaline?
He obviously hasn’t had any surgery for an anatomical abnormality.

I’m interested to see if whatever treatment he had leads to any performance changes.

Saw the first half this week and he wasn’t particularly good but did see he kicked a couple in the second half so maybe ran out the game better..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Apparently they've just prescribed physiotherapy and breathing exercises for now? It apparently happens only as he fatigues so when the centre bounce, goals being kicked or on the interchange he has to perform breathing exercises to ensure enough oxygen is getting through.

I suspect surgical intervention if that doesn't work.

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
Apparently they've just prescribed physiotherapy and breathing exercises for now? It apparently happens only as he fatigues so when the centre bounce, goals being kicked or on the interchange he has to perform breathing exercises to ensure enough oxygen is getting through.

I suspect surgical intervention if that doesn't work.

After some actual research it seems like what he most likely has is exercise induced vocal cord dysfunction (VCD)

https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/38/4/e9
Fallon KE. Upper airway obstruction masquerading as exercise induced bronchospasm in an elite road cyclist. British Journal of Sports Medicine 2004;38:e9

"VCD is a paradoxical closure of the vocal cords during inspiration which is highly associated with inspiratory stridor at high rates of ventilation,4 as typically occurs during intense competition. Normally the cords abduct during inspiration and adduct slightly or not at all during expiration. In VCD the anterior section of the vocal cords adduct during inspiration forming a small triangular opening posteriorly."

"It has been suggested that it is associated with a number of psychological disorders including anxiety,9 depression, and perfectionism."
"this providing a physiological mechanism for some cases of “choking” during sport"

"Speech and relaxation therapy are the recommended treatment options. Only one study has assessed treatment for VCD in athletes.11 In this study 20 adolescent female athletes underwent speech therapy intervention which involved coordination of thoracic and abdominal respiratory movement patterns, elimination of paradoxical respiratory movements, and emphasis of the abdominal contribution to respiration during exercise. Some 95% of the participants reported the ability to control symptoms of VCD during exercise in the 6 month period following the intervention, while 80% no longer required asthma medication."

The only other likely option that I can say is exercise induced laryngochalasia which in short is excess tissue in the larynx treated with laser therapy

Jun 8, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Didn’t deserve to be dropped imo.

Not playing his best and has a few sheepish moments but he is still
Leading our tackling. With our lack of pressure you just can’t drop someone who is averaging 4 tackles a game.

Last week he played one of the most selfish games of footy from a north player we’ve seen in a long time.

On that alone I’m glad he got dropped.

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Didn’t deserve to be dropped imo.

Not playing his best and has a few sheepish moments but he is still
Leading our tackling. With our lack of pressure you just can’t drop someone who is averaging 4 tackles a game.

It’s not his lack of accountability in the contest that he was dropped for, he’s not working hard enough on the outside defensively. You can live with that if he’s slaughtering the opposition offensively but he hasn’t been creative at all with ball in hand. The bloke could be a star but he doesn’t seem to have the heart for it.

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Last week he played one of the most selfish games of footy from a north player we’ve seen in a long time.

On that alone I’m glad he got dropped.

It’s not his lack of accountability in the contest that he was dropped for, he’s not working hard enough on the outside defensively. You can live with that if he’s slaughtering the opposition offensively but he hasn’t been creative at all with ball in hand. The bloke could be a star but he doesn’t seem to have the heart for it.

Hall wasn’t crash hot last week but Polec was worse.

Polec didn’t even register a tackle and had a lot short steps and that’s saying something.

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hall wasn’t crash hot last week but Polec was worse.

Polec didn’t even register a tackle and had a lot short steps and that’s saying something.

Like I said, if you’re defensively poor you better offer something the other way. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not a fan of outside one way footballers. We can afford to carry one, and Polec gives us heaps more going forward.

Polec had one inside 50, Hall had 3. Polec softness at the contest cost us goals in the third when we could have got back in it.

Hall possibly cost us a goal when Boak marked in front of goal 20m clear after a pass from Rozee. That was nearly halfway thru the 3rd quarter and the first time Port looked like attacking. If he was dropped for lack of defense and sopecifically that particular incident as well I think that makes sense. It was very poor defensive accountability. At the time he'd just been belted in the nose and was heading off with bleeding but still not good enough.

But really I'd have brought Bailey Scott in for him. We need another player capable of running and Snake_Baker mentioned something about his repeat efforts to get to contests. If you're gonna drop someone for that sort of thing then get in someone else who can show them a good example.

One more point in defense of Hall. He copped a bollocking from the combox and probably here for missing that goal but no commentators were as vocal when Zurhaar missed a far easier goal with the option of a player on his own in the square.

Also just heard he had 12 disposals as he kicked that goal 2 minutes to 3/4 time (it was his 12th accorduing to Ling). He must have had 8 in the last quarter then when we came back into the game.

Polec had one inside 50, Hall had 3. Polec softness at the contest cost us goals in the third when we could have got back in it.

Did you see on one of the games they highlighted how he doesn't wear a mouth guard. I know when I played without one (forgot it from time to time or lost it) I was definitely not as hard at the contest myself

Remove this Banner Ad

Back