Player Watch Rupert Wills (Delisted 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

For me no issues whatsoever with the club trying something different this pre season with him considering there is simply not going to be room for him in the guts

Consider our current midfielders:

Scott Pendlebury - can swing back / forward when needed
Taylor Adams - can swing back when needed
Steele Sidebottom - can swing to the wing / forward when needed
Jordan DeGoey - flexible between forward / midfield
Cox - flexible between ruck / forward
Etc, etc.

Wills training with the forwards is probably more about building his capability and less about him playing as a permanent forward.

We were sorely tested in 2018 ... we were forced to play a mature aged rookie KPB in the forward line. We’re lucky Mihocek pulled it off.

Seems prudent of the club to build flexibility in the team, especially with players like Wills who are unlikely best 22.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not just on debut, in his six games he’s averaged 8 tackles a game.

Comparing Rupert Wills’ six AFL games with Brayden Sier’s first six AFL games ..

Rupert Wills: 44 kicks, 16 marks, 59 handballs, 103 disposals, 1 goal 2 behinds, 48 tackles, 15 clangers, 42 contested possessions, 5 1%ers

Brayden Sier: 48 kicks, 8 marks, 61 handballs, 109 disposals, 1 goal 0 behinds, 34 tackles, 21 clangers, 55 contested possessions, 6 1%ers

... of course stats aren’t everything, but IMO Wills has shown much the same promise on the field as Sier did in his first games and the stats don’t suggest otherwise.
Fantastic post as giving some real life data.

Maybe, in the sands of time and injury, we’re forgetting the Willis factor.

But on memory, whilst there was promise with Wills, I just don’t remember the same impact and telling impact that Sier has shown.

Might be simply a feel, that Sier shows this vision and Gary Ayres attribute of being a good driver in heavy traffic.

My best memory of Wills was in a VFL game when he monstered a kick that found its way home for a goal.

So on feel and sense of footy, Sier is travelling in a different sphere to Wills.

One looks a bona fide AFL level player, who just belongs.
The other looks like a bona fide VFL player, who just belongs but could be a nice depth type at the upper level if called upon. Good tackler but.

But I certainly would love to see Rupert get a sustained injury free run. Then who knows we might get to see the Bear and Bull show.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
IIRC, Wills did his hamstring around the same time as Sier came into the team ( jackcass ?) If injuries had been a little different, it may very well be Sier’s future who we’re speculating about instead.

Yep, for mine would have been hard to split them at that point with Wills the slightly more consistent performer at VFL level. Sliding doors. Similar circumstance with Mihocek and McLarty and we all saw how that turned out.

Bussie

All Australian
Sep 27, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
I don't follow the VFL closely, would it be worth trialling Wills as a HBF? It's worked for Crisp, gives us an option to rotate a few players and positions around.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
Not just on debut, in his six games he’s averaged 8 tackles a game.

Comparing Rupert Wills’ six AFL games with Brayden Sier’s first six AFL games ..

Rupert Wills: 44 kicks, 16 marks, 59 handballs, 103 disposals, 1 goal 2 behinds, 48 tackles, 15 clangers, 42 contested possessions, 5 1%ers

Brayden Sier: 48 kicks, 8 marks, 61 handballs, 109 disposals, 1 goal 0 behinds, 34 tackles, 21 clangers, 55 contested possessions, 6 1%ers

... of course stats aren’t everything, but IMO Wills has shown much the same promise on the field as Sier did in his first games and the stats don’t suggest otherwise.

That's interesting. I recall Wills coming off that Carlton game in the VFL. Sier was there too. Wills dominated. It was one of the most dominant games of footy I can remember from anyone. Sier shortly after got the nod for seniors and I remember being curious about it. I thought it should have been Wills on form.

That said I reckon their form at AFL level is chalk and cheese. Sier has impact. His speed, his clearances and creativity moving the ball forward make him stand out. Stats say all our best clearance midfield combinations featured Sier. That says plenty to me.

I think Wills has been good at AFL but always looked like a new player gaining experience. Sier looks like he belongs. I like them both!

Darkyprotector

Premiership Player
Apr 10, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Consider our current midfielders:

Scott Pendlebury - can swing back / forward when needed
Taylor Adams - can swing back when needed
Steele Sidebottom - can swing to the wing / forward when needed
Jordan DeGoey - flexible between forward / midfield
Cox - flexible between ruck / forward
Etc, etc.

Wills training with the forwards is probably more about building his capability and less about him playing as a permanent forward.

We were sorely tested in 2018 ... we were forced to play a mature aged rookie KPB in the forward line. We’re lucky Mihocek pulled it off.

Seems prudent of the club to build flexibility in the team, especially with players like Wills who are unlikely best 22.

Great stats 76er

Sorta proves my theory that the kids got the goods

Throyoid issues are no laughing matter and decimates your energy , coupled with extra growth pains , well he's done it harder than most

He was earmarked to play CHF ( same as Mayne) and hence checker got a go
Our forward line is based on movement with mason being the BEST tall target in the league
( always planned to be a key forward) ,

IMO the club is aiming like 2010 to go with more run
Midfielders have been told to EMBRACE secondary positions
Here's a couple of possibilities

Beams and de goey changing deep forward
Adam and travis providing run of half back and changing there
Taylor back pocket

Could evolve into this
Maynard. Dunn. Adams

Crisp. Moore. Treleor

Sidey. Seir. Stepho

Thomas. Wills. Whe

De goey. Cox Elliott

Grundy pendels. Beams

Howe varcoe murphy langdon

That's how flexible. We can be

Rougheads real important
Will provide strong defender, support in ruck and more important allow us to maintain our structure if mason goes down
Continuity in the seconds for example to structure

Coverage on wings with the new rules ( speed) and good tacklers with strong bodies are critical

Proven by jlt ( small sample) essendon, dogs, and others

HFF

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 25, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
FC Barcelona, Liverpool, FC Bayern
He’s a slug.
Slow as hell.

Sure he is a brute but he isn’t clean and he can’t kick a footy to save his life.

Offers absolutely nothing and shouldn’t be on the list beyond this year.

Averaging 30 disposals and 5 tackles this year in his 4 VFL games. Needs another shot at the seniors before his contract expires this year. And in the seniors we are missing Sier and need another big body type to help us with our contested work. I agree with others, he’s likely a delisting candidate at years end.

pablo disco bar just play him
Blair averaged around 30 in the VFL too. Numbers don’t always tell the full story. Watching him yesterday, it looked pretty clear that he’s a good VFL player, but he doesn’t have the cleanliness or awareness to translate that to the AFL.

It’s his lack of pace that is the biggest concern and we are already slow in the midfield.

There just no way I would have both him and Beams in the same midfield. The problem is that Beams is a better player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back