Can we afford all of De Goey, Grundy, and Moore

Remove this Banner Ad

Jeez, if people think talls are our weakness now. Imagine what it'll look like when you axe Moore for being a match-losing dud and trade Grundy for not being worth his salary or trade price.

We be Wooden Spooners doing that

When hawks and cats had there sides up the top for years in a row they didn't get any chore players poached. Players all took a sacrificed money for success. I think we have a team that can compete for the next 5 years or so if the players commit.
Geelong and Hawthorn lost Ablett/Franklin and a whole bunch of players in the best 15-22. Maybe we will need to lose someone that big to keep everything together? We know our salary cap is at breaking point after getting Beams, and I don't see any significant relief any time soon while the younger players demand rises

If we can't hold onto Grundy, we may as well fold as a footy club. Talents like him come along very rarely. He's more important than anyone else on our list. De Goey is very good, but you can still find a decent replacement for his position. There are lots of dud ruckman playing AFL right now.

If we can't hold onto Grundy, we may as well fold as a footy club. Talents like him come along very rarely. He's more important than anyone else on our list. De Goey is very good, but you can still find a decent replacement for his position. There are lots of dud ruckman playing AFL right now.

Gun Ruckman are Very Rare.

Do agree Medium Forwards can be Easily Found but would they be same Quality as De Goey?

Moore should be in the thread title as well. I'm sure he'll attract huge offers at the end of next year as well.

Very Good Point. Did not think of it. but Moore has Injury Issues that could stop a Huge Offer Coming

Very Good Point. Did not think of it. but Moore has Injury Issues that could stop a Huge Offer Coming
Not anymore, clubs would take a big fat offer to get Moore.

But none of them will leave.

Not anymore, clubs would take a big fat offer to get Moore.

But none of them will leave.

Espically when his Father said Leaving Collingwood is 1 of his Biggest Mistakes he made

Geelong and Hawthorn lost Ablett/Franklin and a whole bunch of players in the best 15-22. Maybe we will need to lose someone that big to keep everything together? We know our salary cap is at breaking point after getting Beams, and I don't see any significant relief any time soon while the younger players demand rises
Also need to take into account the fact that Ablett & Franklin were poached by expansion clubs that were offering Godfather deals at the time.

I can't see how we couldn't keep both, plenty of clubs have managed keep multiple stars on the books over the years.

Edit - Had GWS in my head re the Franklin/expansion club deal.

Also need to take into account the fact that Ablett & Franklin were poached by expansion clubs that were offering Godfather deals at the time.

I can't see how we couldn't keep both, plenty of clubs have managed keep multiple stars on the books over the years.

You were sort of right re Buddy. All the talk was he was headed to GWS, but Sydney were working away behind the scenes, and used their cola to get him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe, but I think we need to accept theres a strong chance one or more players we want to keep will be squeezed out if we sign both Grundy and De Goey to huge deals. Both will ask for over 800k a year easily, maybe even a million... something has to give.

We can afford both if they are happy and we must try and hold them both. If cards are played right, you get players like that for under market value if they are happy and we have the right environment for them.

Gun Ruckman are Very Rare.

Do agree Medium Forwards can be Easily Found but would they be same Quality as De Goey?
No, they won't be, but they'll still be effective. Whereas a new ruckman wouldn't be. Just look at Mihocek tonight, ok forwards can work.

You were sort of right re Buddy. All the talk was he was headed to GWS, but Sydney were working away behind the scenes, and used their cola to get him.

And now they can only afford a team of kids because of Buddy, no flags. It was a plan that relied on flags in his first couple seasons while he was on less money. That failed so you’d have to say it’s been a failure that’s hurting them right now and for a few more years.

Collingwood are irrelevant without Grundy. Said it late last year and again during the preseason. Collingwood wouldn't be a top 8 side without him. Best ruckman in the game, best player in the game.

Irrelevant, Pfft. we would just be a team with 8 other A grade players- Pendles, Sidebottom, Treloar, Beams, Adams, Howe, Crisp, DeGoey. Pretty sure Moore, Stephenson and a fit Elliott would be close to that level sometime soon.

Your statements are often outlandish and provide little evidence to back them up. So what if you said it? That makes it fact? Grundy is probably the best ruckman in the game and definitely our best player, but we would still be relevant and a finalist without him.

DeGoey, Moore, Stephenson and Grundy. They are the fab 4 we need to keep together to be consistently up there over the next 5 years. I can't imagine we'd let any of them go.

Irrelevant, Pfft. we would just be a team with 8 other A grade players- Pendles, Sidebottom, Treloar, Beams, Adams, Howe, Crisp, DeGoey. Pretty sure Moore, Stephenson and a fit Elliott would be close to that level sometime soon.

Your statements are often outlandish and provide little evidence to back them up. So what if you said it? That makes it fact? Grundy is probably the best ruckman in the game and definitely our best player, but we would still be relevant and a finalist without him.

DeGoey, Moore, Stephenson and Grundy. They are the fab 4 we need to keep together to be consistently up there over the next 5 years. I can't imagine we'd let any of them go.

The evidence would be if Grundy missed games.

Fortunately for Collingwood he played all 26 games in 2018 and has yet to miss a game this year also.

The most recent time Grundy has missed games (rounds 21/22 2017) Collingwood lost. Round 1 2016 (only game that season Grundy played) Collingwood lost. And Grundy during those years wasn't on the level he has been in 18/19.

In my view Collingwood have two definitely elite players. Grundy and De Goey.

Crisp was elite last year but he's still convincing me he is again this year. Howe in 17/18 I considered elite but he's probably not quite of that standard this year. None of Collingwood's mids are elite anymore. Sidebottom was the one elite mid last year but has dropped away this year. Treloar of the mids this year is the closest mid to elite but not quite elite for mine as a mid I wouldn't categorise as best 10 by position and would rate somewhere around that 20 mark.

Grundy is the completely indispensable where there is no deal that would reasonably be offered where it would be worthwhile trading him. Adelaide or Port would have to say - any five from our list, take whoever you want for me to think about that deal, or substituting one of those players for a first round pick. And of course they're not doing that.

De Goey, Stephenson are Moore are three I'd like to retain and I agree after Grundy based on age and projected career value they're the most valuable long term pieces the club have. However they are players where if what I perceived was overs was on offer I wouldn't rule out a trade. If Gold Coast approached with an offer of Lukosius, Rankine and their 2019 and 2020 first round picks for two of De Goey, Stephenson and Moore. I'm doing that deal. And maybe they get desperate and want to make a splash? Who knows?

Espically when his Father said Leaving Collingwood is 1 of his Biggest Mistakes he made
Darcy isn't his father though, and I think he was seriously considering a move last year. There were apparently other factors involved, away from footy, that he needed to sort through which might have been motivating a move.

Darcy isn't his father though, and I think he was seriously considering a move last year. There were apparently other factors involved, away from footy, that he needed to sort through which might have been motivating a move.
I spoke to a guy who works for the club in a fairly distant role. He told me Moore Snr has/had a new lady in Sydney and was moving up there and wanted his son (who he manages) to move up with him.
I equal parts trust and don't trust the story.

Wasn't it mentioned that Peter Moore was moving up to Sydney and that was a factor?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back