Review Changes for Pineapple Grapple

Remove this Banner Ad

Think Neale was determined to get to Brisbane. You can be certain the Suns would have offered pick 2 and the big V clubs would have made some big offers. Cost us a fair bit trade wise but well worth it.

Suns should be targeting the best inside mids at this years draft.
Do you think it's inside mids or a classy outside mid the GC needs.

From the outside it looks like the Suns have a few more classy outside running types than hard nut inside types but Suns fans would know more. Rankine for one.
OK. I think Neale would have been an amazing recruit for GC.
Can’t wait for Rankine and Weller to come back l think we also lack some outside class.

This is pretty obvious as well but the Suns main concern is retention. Lions have improved massively in this area thanks in large part to Fagan.
Development is our biggest concern by a country mile. If people are developing and playing well they won't leave now the right people are in place. With how the NEAFL team is going and lack of improvement from some of our recent draftees it's by far our biggest problem going forward.

Development is our biggest concern by a country mile. If people are developing and playing well they won't leave now the right people are in place. With how the NEAFL team is going and lack of improvement from some of our recent draftees it's by far our biggest problem going forward.

Good point and agreed. Development good culture and progress and kids will stick around. Drafting brothers and best pals also helps

This is pretty obvious as well but the Suns main concern is retention. Lions have improved massively in this area thanks in large part to Fagan.
Sometimes it takes an opposition supporter to state what should be obvious. Retention is an absolute major issue and we will be rebuilding forever if we can't keep players. In 2020 alone, we stand to lose Martin, Brodie and maybe Wright while also battling to convince King, Rankine and Lukosius to stay! Impossible to build a team and success when we keep losing 4-6 of our better players each year - and getting excited when we sign the lesser required ones. On-field success is a good place to start and we seem to struggle with that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From what Ive seen you are making a far bigger deal of it than the incident warrants. won't even be a fine.
you have your opinion. mine is it is unnecessary to tackle a bloke without the ball. caused harm to bowes aswell.

2018MRPGraph-v2.jpg
forcing bowes off the ground warrants medium impact to the body. question is careless or intentional.

but lets see what michael christiansen says this arvo.

Yeah Rowell great from what I’ve seen and read. Inside/outside mid right? Comparison maybe Oliver?

Green is your josh Kennedy type inside mid.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Don't know too much about him, but if he's a highly rated inside mid and an Oliver clone he would be perfect.

Sometimes it takes an opposition supporter to state what should be obvious. Retention is an absolute major issue and we will be rebuilding forever if we can't keep players. In 2020 alone, we stand to lose Martin, Brodie and maybe Wright while also battling to convince King, Rankine and Lukosius to stay! Impossible to build a team and success when we keep losing 4-6 of our better players each year - and getting excited when we sign the lesser required ones. On-field success is a good place to start and we seem to struggle with that.

Martin Brodie AND Wright. That's brutal,especially the last two,a key forward and an inside mid. If the AFL were serious you guys would have an increased salary cap as the Lions did during our flag run.

Don't know too much about him, but if he's a highly rated inside mid and an Oliver clone he would be perfect.

Martin Brodie AND Wright. That's brutal,especially the last two,a key forward and an inside mid. If the AFL were serious you guys would have an increased salary cap as the Lions did during our flag run.
The problem is not salary cap , but keeping a reserve team that are good enough. Players don't just stayed for money , look at scrimshaw getting less money at hawthorn than GC (playing reserve) but he still requested to be trade .

It is Round 6...

Wright has shown no indication he wants to leave.

Brodie is contracted, so we don't have to send him anywhere.

Martin is my only question mark at the moment, though saying that the past couple of weeks he has been pretty poor. Maybe heading to WA this weekend will get him up and about.

Martin is my only question mark at the moment, though saying that the past couple of weeks he has been pretty poor. Maybe heading to WA this weekend will get him up and about.

I'm not going to make any comment about whether Jack stays or goes but I sometimes think he tries to do too much
As if there's an expectation for him to be a game winner
He's certainly one of the few in the team with a sprinkle of magic

I'm not going to make any comment about whether Jack stays or goes but I sometimes think he tries to do too much
As if there's an expectation for him to be a game winner
He's certainly one of the few in the team with a sprinkle of magic
I find that with him, he tries to take on too many people.

He just needs to take the first handball or kick instead of trying to dance around 3 opponents.

You are right though, he does have that X-Factor we seem to be missing.

look at scrimshaw getting less money at hawthorn than GC (playing reserve) but he still requested to be trade .
Scrimshaw was never going to stay
That's why he played NEAFL when we were down to using guys like Schoenfeld and Dawson
We all knew he was good enough to play lots of games of AFL and I'm on record as saying he has the most potential of any of that year's recruits
It's not as though he ate a plate of my magic beans over the off-season at Glenferrie Rd and all of a sudden he's playing good footy in the hawthorn seniors
Bods used to call him a bedwetter, but in my experience this is all from the parents and the way they're raised. eg Gary Ablett

Scrimshaw was never going to stay
That's why he played NEAFL when we were down to using guys like Schoenfeld and Dawson
We all knew he was good enough to play lots of games of AFL and I'm on record as saying he has the most potential of any of that year's recruits
It's not as though he ate a plate of my magic beans over the off-season at Glenferrie Rd and all of a sudden he's playing good footy in the hawthorn seniors
Bods used to call him a bedwetter, but in my experience this is all from the parents and the way they're raised. eg Gary Ablett
You can't just blame parents for that , if your NEAFL team is winning and have good group of players , they don't really have excuses to go back home. You need to create environment players fighting for spots in AfL not just getting high disposal/goal to get in. ( young ,GHS ,Sam Day ) all play well individually based on Stats but as a team ??????. Who don't want to play AFL or emergency and get match bonuses .

* I know they are desperate to keep players but four year contract for a player that done an ACL , the timing to announce it is also not right .

Last edited:
I find that with him, he tries to take on too many people.

He just needs to take the first handball or kick instead of trying to dance around 3 opponents.

You are right though, he does have that X-Factor we seem to be missing.
I think he has had a clear message to take the game on and be more physical, in the wins this year he has had definitive moments when he crashed through or out of players, broke tackles and kicked a goal or set one up at big moments, the last two weeks he has been nailed everytime he has tried to make something happen. Havent seen much of his elite kicking skills or finesse and marking though either lately, his kicking for goal has been well down

I think he has had a clear message to take the game on and be more physical, in the wins this year he has had definitive moments when he crashed through or out of players, broke tackles and kicked a goal or set one up at big moments, the last two weeks he has been nailed everytime he has tried to make something happen. Havent seen much of his elite kicking skills or finesse and marking though either lately, his kicking for goal has been well down
He’s probably made up his mind where he wants to be next year already.

you have your opinion. mine is it is unnecessary to tackle a bloke without the ball. caused harm to bowes aswell.

View attachment 664229
forcing bowes off the ground warrants medium impact to the body. question is careless or intentional.

but lets see what michael christiansen says this arvo.

Just because i haven't been around for a few days, and i like pointless point-scoring :p, like i said... not even a fine.
Incidents assessed:
Contact between Brisbane Lions' Lachie Neale and Gold Coast SUNS’ Jack Bowes in the first quarter of Saturday’s match was assessed. Bowes and Neale are tracking the ball. Charlie Ballard (Gold Coast Suns) has possession of the football and Bowes seeks to shepherd Neale from his teammate. Neale attempts to get past Bowes to attempt the tackle. Both players go to ground. It was the view of the MRO that Neale’s actions did not constitute a reportable offence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back