Draft Review 2016 - Revisiting the 2016 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Taranto and Mccluggage are awesome talents, Taranto is the prototype for the modern inside mid, even has a bit of Fyfe about him and Mccluggage just glides around the field and never looks rushed, so smooth reminds me of Pendlebury clearly top 2, McGrath has been good and will be a pretty good player, but think given what Essendon are missing, they would take Taranto if they had there time again, would be perfect for there midfield, not a knock on McGrath, just think that another player would fit them better.
My man SPS is a pretty serious footballer too and moving up the rankings with a bullet, I remember in he’s first year, he ripped Collingwood’s midfield to pieces in the wet, even got 3 Brownlow votes that day, in just he’s 6th game IIRC and he just looked on another level with he’s skills in the wet, super clean and kicking skills to die for, he made it look like he was playing in perfectly dry conditions, fair effort for a kid from rural WA.
The way he and Cripps combined last week was unbelievable, they seem to have really got an understanding of how to play off each other, could be a ripper combination in the future.

I actually really rate some of the players taken first round of this draft, we still haven’t seen much of Ainsworth Brodie or Setterfield, but they have also shown some impressive flashes, depth isn’t looking great, but plenty of potentially elite players.

Last edited:
SPS is a contender for the third spot if he can bring in some consistency as he improves.

Yeah these are the 3 players I really love from this draft, they all have match winning traits, all be it in different ways, all have shown they can actually dominate games, rare for young players, Clug is a special player, love how he slices through traffic, does it so effortlessly, a real Rolls Royce.
Taranto going at 2 was unexpected, but given the form he showed at the back end of the year, easy to understand.
Clug not going pick one was a much bigger surprise, he was dominant in he’s draft year and IMO more impressive then Taranto, McGrath was up there, but it wasn’t till GWS started making noise about trading up to get him, that he really came into top 3 calculations.

Or GWS. Given they traded from 3 to 2 in the off-chance we took Clug or Taranto.
Doesn't matter anyway. We have McGrath. He's a gun. Quite happy.

That was then, this is now.

At the time GWS was keen for a Heath Shaw replacement. They have moved on midfielders, so very much doubt they wouldn't take Taranto.

Not sure they would prefer an outside mid that plays uncontested footy, that doesn't hurt with his possessions.

This draft is always interesting for a hawthorn fan.

We had 74 & 76, 2 of the last 3 picks in the live draft.

Selected Harry Morrison and Mitchell Lewis and both are currently in the best 22.

These guys aren't world beaters but currently look value for money.

Selected Harry Morrison and Mitchell Lewis and both are currently in the best 22.

Harry Morrison isn’t, just been omitted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure McGrath is quite on the level of the top 2 from this draft unfortunately, I think he is doomed to be only a very good player while both Taranto and McCluggage look destined to be stars. I don't really see any truly elite traits that McGrath possesses, hes no doubt a great kick but hes never been super damaging, and as a player who, like McCluggage, doesn't exactly win it at the coalface, being a damaging is a must.

McCluggage more than makes up for his low contested numbers with his elite attacking side, he is a natural goal kicker who puts the ball in dangerous areas. Admittedly McGrath has done well to kick a few goals this year too, but he isn't really in the same ballpark as McCluggage in this facet of their games. One area McGrath has McCluggage covered is his running capacity, but it isn't at the level where he can seriously burn his opponent and get free for an uncontested mark, but he is obviously still young and this can be developed.

I haven't really talked about Taranto but thats because I think he is not as easily comparable as the other two are, but hes really the proto-typical midfielder for todays game, and is much more inside than the other two so its not really apples-to-apples

Overall I personally think McCluggage is a clear No.1 in this draft and McCluggage is a clear No. 2, no shame in it for bomber fans I just don't think he is quite on the level where he regularly influences games to the extent both Taranto and McCluggage do

Last edited:

Agreed I really like Morrison, think a week in the VFL will do him some good (maybe hes being rested which will be good too). Fairly certain the reason hes been omitted would be because of his lack of tackles on monday, which has been a really strong aspect of his game in the AFL. His tackling numbers being down is probably a good indicator that he needs a rest or a bit of time in the VFL.

No doubt a very good pick up with one of the last picks in the draft

McGrath is nowhere near Mcluggage or Taranto, no non Essendon support would even try and make the argument.

SPS and J Berry to go past McGrath by seasons end.

English will be Dean Cox like, getting beaten by stronger bodies at the monument but in 2-3 years he’ll be the best ruck in the Comp.

Zac Fisher at 27 is going great guns, Another 23 disposals and 7 tackles today. Has serious wheels and good user and surprisingly good tackler for a player so small in stature. If the draft was held today I think that he would be top 10. Might even end up higher.

Harry Morrison played for Box Hill on the weekend...

Harry Morrison played for Box Hill on the weekend...
Yeah he was Dropped with a license to find the footy after a slow start to the year in the 1s.

With an immediate 32 disposals and 3 goals performance good chance he will get the recall this week.

Yeah he was Dropped with a license to find the footy after a slow start to the year in the 1s.

With an immediate 32 disposals and 3 goals performance good chance he will get the recall this week.
Well yeah.... Not really relevant what happened, you said he's best 22 but he's played at box hill on the weekend. Doesn't really add up.

He also played against Coburg....

Not sure McGrath is quite on the level of the top 2 from this draft unfortunately, I think he is doomed to be only a very good player while both Taranto and McCluggage look destined to be stars. I don't really see any truly elite traits that McGrath possesses, hes no doubt a great kick but hes never been super damaging, and as a player who, like McCluggage, doesn't exactly win it at the coalface, being a damaging is a must.

McCluggage more than makes up for his low contested numbers with his elite attacking side, he is a natural goal kicker who puts the ball in dangerous areas. Admittedly McGrath has done well to kick a few goals this year too, but he isn't really in the same ballpark as McCluggage in this facet of their games. One area McGrath has McCluggage covered is his running capacity, but it isn't at the level where he can seriously burn his opponent and get free for an uncontested mark, but he is obviously still young and this can be developed.

I haven't really talked about Taranto but thats because I think he is not as easily comparable as the other two are, but hes really the proto-typical midfielder for todays game, and is much more inside than the other two so its not really apples-to-apples

Overall I personally think McCluggage is a clear No.1 in this draft and McCluggage is a clear No. 2, no shame in it for bomber fans I just don't think he is quite on the level where he regularly influences games to the extent both Taranto and McCluggage do
Clug and McGrath are tracking fairly close.
Clug has a clear advantage in the inside 50's, and scores 1 goal more every 2 games.

Everything else is quite close except the defensive stuff (R50's, intercepts) - which is more down to roles. Clug gets forward more, McGrath plays defensive more. Both probably spend equal time around the middle.

im guessing you meant Clug as clear #1 and McGrath as clear #2 (and not Clug as both :p)
id tend to disagree and say they'd be fairly even right now.
Taranto is building a different game, and scoring as much at the same time. Kid is breaking away as the best from this draft.
Not surprising either. He was a good chance to go #1 in that draft.

Clug and McGrath are tracking fairly close.
Clug has a clear advantage in the inside 50's, and scores 1 goal more every 2 games.

Everything else is quite close except the defensive stuff (R50's, intercepts) - which is more down to roles. Clug gets forward more, McGrath plays defensive more. Both probably spend equal time around the middle.

im guessing you meant Clug as clear #1 and McGrath as clear #2 (and not Clug as both ):p
id tend to disagree and say they'd be fairly even right now.
Taranto is building a different game, and scoring as much at the same time. Kid is breaking away as the best from this draft.
Not surprising either. He was a good chance to go #1 in that draft.

I meant to say Clug No. 1 and Taranto No. 2.

I think its fair to say that McCluggage and McGrath are tracking fairly similarly in terms of statistics, but also that McCluggage is a more proven match winner and regular influencer of games than McGrath. That isn't really a knock on McGrath as very few third year players are able to regularly influence games like McCluggage does but that just shows why he is above McGrath in my opinion.

And as you say Taranto has a totally different game which is why its harder to compare but I think most would agree that he is fantastic and most would have him No.1 but I personally prefer McCluggage. I would probably say that McGrath fits into the chasing pack of this draft with others like Berry and SPS (Carlton bias) which is a pretty good result for a No. 1 pick if you look at the history

I meant to say Clug No. 1 and Taranto No. 2.

I think its fair to say that McCluggage and McGrath are tracking fairly similarly in terms of statistics, but also that McCluggage is a more proven match winner and regular influencer of games than McGrath. That isn't really a knock on McGrath as very few third year players are able to regularly influence games like McCluggage does but that just shows why he is above McGrath in my opinion.

And as you say Taranto has a totally different game which is why its harder to compare but I think most would agree that he is fantastic and most would have him No.1 but I personally prefer McCluggage. I would probably say that McGrath fits into the chasing pack of this draft with others like Berry and SPS (Carlton bias) which is a pretty good result for a No. 1 pick if you look at the history
ah right.

Id say Taranto is #1 right now. He's building an elite inside game to go with his abilty to get outside and be an attacking mid.
More i watch him, the more i see a kid on the trajectory to eliteness.

The top 6 from this draft were pretty special and there really wasn't any going wrong with any of them at 1.
Id have McGrath and Clug closer. Other than being a little quiet against the Pies, McGrath has been excellent this season.
The difference between the two for me is Clug goes forward a little more, McGrath goes defensive a little more. I put that down to game style. Essendon like to attack from defence. And he's one of our best/hardest runners, and more agile through the middle.

If i was picking today, i still don't know who i'd take at 1.
I was always torn between McGrath and Taranto that year. Still am.
Clug & SPS would also be in that conversation.

Injury has probably held Setterfield & Ainsworth back from being in that conversation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back