Opinion Our next 6 weeks: Tougher than it seems

Remove this Banner Ad

To quote Alan Joyce after a finals win:

Just happy to get the four points

in 2019 I don't really see any easy games anymore.

Except for Carlton

Sadly I don’t think Carlton can be relied upon to serve up easy games. Especially against us :(

Yeah, I know they’ve just won a game, but they’ve been playing alright - a lot lot better than last year.

I think Sydney will be an easy game. And Kangaroos when it happens, they’re clearly a mess.

Last edited:

I remember looking at this block of games when the fixture came out and thinking it will be a period where we might get a breather after a tough opening draw. We're 5 rounds into this mixed up season and things are looking very different. And very interesting.

Our next 6 rounds will see us (sitting 4th) play off against 1st , 3rd, 5th, 7th, 15th and 16th. That's a block of games including St Kilda, Freo, Port, Essendon, Carlton and Sydney. I think it's a group of teams that will be a lot tougher than they may appear on paper. Their positions after 5 rounds, which have been earned, attest to that.

I think we'll learn a lot about our side and our chances over this period of time because it will be really challenging. Never a dull moment with this group! It'll be fun to watch.

Whilst there are teams like St Klida and Suns who are doing surprisingly well - where they’ll struggle is with consistent performances. It’ll be a lottery how well they play on the day and how well we match up against them. I think that’s what happened against Brisbane.

We haven't selected 2nd gear yet and our side will gel as Bucks starts to find balance.
Can't see us being tested until we play the Weagles in Perth. Even then I think we will be much stronger and destroy them before finals. :shortcake::thumbsu:

I remember looking at this block of games when the fixture came out and thinking it will be a period where we might get a breather after a tough opening draw. We're 5 rounds into this mixed up season and things are looking very different. And very interesting.

Our next 6 rounds will see us (sitting 4th) play off against 1st , 3rd, 5th, 7th, 15th and 16th. That's a block of games including St Kilda, Freo, Port, Essendon, Carlton and Sydney. I think it's a group of teams that will be a lot tougher than they may appear on paper. Their positions after 5 rounds, which have been earned, attest to that.

I think we'll learn a lot about our side and our chances over this period of time because it will be really challenging. Never a dull moment with this group! It'll be fun to watch.
Using your thinking about current ladder positions, our 2019 draw is now pretty nice. Teams we play twice have the following ladder spots: 7th, 8th, 10th, 14th and 17th.

Whilst there are teams like St Klida and Suns who are doing surprisingly well - where they’ll struggle is with consistent performances. It’ll be a lottery how well they play on the day and how well we match up against them. I think that’s what happened against Brisbane.

Very true. What some of these teams are demonstrating is their best is good enough to knock off the best.

Port for example destroyed West Coast at home and we have a terrible recent record against them.

Freo beat GWS in Canberra (I think thats the first time thats happened). Freo also ran us close at the end of last year.

Essendon have not beaten anyone of note courtesy of a softish draw but their 22 looks tough on paper, is now well balanced and we know that ANZAC day games are a bit of a lottery.

St Kilda, a bit like the Dons, have had a soft draw but they're knocking off the teams around them (a bit like we did last year) and are playing a pretty solid style of football. They look good and shouldn't be dismissed.

I reckon we can come out of this period really strongly but would not be surprised at all if we lose some you'd expect us to get up in. If we aren't careful we could make our lives really hard. This will be a tricky period to navigate, in my opinion, if we aren't switched on.

Bucks said he might rest Moore and Jamie. The latter is now compulsorily rested so may not need another break if he stays fit during this run of matches.

Carlton, St kilda, Sydney, Freo... Plenty of shite to mediocre teams in those next 6 rounds Quicky ... but if we serve up our worst like we have on occasions this year, we could well lose 3-4 out of 6.

On other hand, play boldly and quickly like we do at our best and we are very hard to beat and win the next 5-6.

The next 6 weeks are critical. But our biggest opponent will be ourselves.

The draw is really started to open up now, Thursday’s 4 points is was huge for us. To be sitting at 4–2 has us in a great spot to launch now and cement a spot in the finals by the half way point in the season, then really concentrate on hitting the top 4.
Season is building nicely and the boys are starting to hit their straps. Bring on Port on Friday night

Sadly I don’t think Carlton can be relied upon to serve up easy games. Especially against us :(

Yeah, I know they’ve just won a game, but they’ve been playing alright - a lot lot better than last year.

I think Sydney will be an easy game. And Kangaroos when it happens, they’re clearly a mess.

Don't think there be any real easy games this season as how close the Comp is

The draw is really started to open up now, Thursday’s 4 points is was huge for us. To be sitting at 4–2 has us in a great spot to launch now and cement a spot in the finals by the half way point in the season, then really concentrate on hitting the top 4.
Season is building nicely and the boys are starting to hit their straps. Bring on Port on Friday night

I reckon the Port game will be tough. We have a horrible record against them. I don't know why. If they match up well against us or what. But I reckon a real danger game for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon the Port game will be tough. We have a horrible record against them. I don't know why. If they match up well against us or what. But I reckon a real danger game for us.
As long as we play them, and they us like the last time we met, I’d cope with that.

Who is going?

I am.

If it’s a cold night, selfishly the stadium will help us the spectators.

But I’d rather it benefits the team.

You do get a good view from Marvel.

with that said. both sides have very different personnel this year. and with Gray out and Neade who for some reason always caused us trouble I like our chances. the old classic 8 point game though. if we can get the win we can begin separating ourselves from that big pack

with that said. both sides have very different personnel this year. and with Gray out and Neade who for some reason always caused us trouble I like our chances. the old classic 8 point game though. if we can get the win we can begin separating ourselves from that big pack
I will preface this with I haven't watched their games...
They seem to have taken a leaf out of the books of both us and WCE.
They have a solid defence, two ruckmen, (ala Eagles) and dangerous forwards, (including Stevo MK2).
Motlop will probably come in for Gray and he might be "that player" on the night.

I think we're still a fair way off our cohesive best but if you're not performing at your best and still managing to win then you're going okay at this time of the season. The alternative is North or the Dees.

Marvel Stadium isn’t ideal, but Robbie Gray out is.

Add Dixon, Hartlett, Watts and Jonas to those outs. Motlop can't get a game. That's a lot of good footballers who won't play Friday for them.

I still don't feel any more comfortable though.

Add Dixon, Hartlett, Watts and Jonas to those outs. Motlop can't get a game. That's a lot of good footballers who won't play Friday for them.

I still don't feel any more comfortable though.
Not to mention no Polec or Wingard since we last played them either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back