Retired #23: David Myers - Retiring at the end of the season - 20/8

Maybe. Just seems like we have a dearth of defenders. I’ve heard in the past Ambrose is an absolute endurance beast. He has Myers covered for size, and couldn’t be any slower.

Just wonder about midfield. I mean if Myers can play in there...

Myers does have some midfield craft. He has proven on his best day he can win a clearance or three. Ambrose just defends.

You keep arguing these points with me yet you of all people should know why I keep asking for kids to play :p

Formwise yes I agree with that but that didn’t stop others getting a game with Ham most recently, it’s safe to say Myers would most likely be getting better if not the same numbers that the likes of Clarke and Mynott are right now in the VFL

Yes but I am not a just play the kids person. There is a limit to how many you play each week.
You mention Ham but he did not come into the side to play inside midfielder. His role was outside run. You have to be a decent size to make it as a regular at inside midfielder in the first two or three years. That is the difference. Unless you are Dustin Martin or Oliie Wines or Ben Cunnington you are not punching out a lot of games early. None of our guys where that top end when drafted. We are talking about fourth round and back.

I have no doubt that Clarke would be already playing if he was even a half reasonable kick. His kicking has held him back and has not been up to AFL level so he has had very limited exposure.

I also think Mynott can make it but he is only getting to that stage now and he is three games into a VFL season. If he keeps getting his 25 odd disposals and kicking the odd goal he will get a shot but last year he was a bit in and out as far as performance goes and was pretty tired by the end of the season. He was drafted as a rookie as it would take some time. If in three weeks he has put together 4 or 5 strong games then I will also be calling for him to get a look in but he has to earn that chance which he is well on the way to doing.

As for Myers I am no real fan. I think he is half the player he could have been because of the injury issues he has had and missing the year through suspension. Right now I would actually prefer Langford in his role even though I question his real ability as a midfielder. However coaches back their senior players in, sometimes well beyond the time they should not. We are no different to any other club. When the pressure is on the kids generally get the chop first. On top of that the better clubs do not just load up with 6 or 7 of them. We had 3 players with under 20 games experience on Thursday. We have been filtering players through.
Right now Myers is surviving because we do not have a lot of hard inside players. In fact we are that short of them that we use Jake Stringer at centre bounces to block (which he is doing a bloody decent job at). It is the reason I keep saying we still need another hard body inside midfielder to help Heppell out but not a s**t truck slow one plus another classy out/in player or like you say a classy winger who can kick goals.

Bomberview

Rookie
Apr 25, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
I like and concur with your points. I think half a chance, Sier would be on our radar, but lack of picks would hurt our trade position even if he wanted out. Langers I think is your classy HFF- Winger who does kick goals. I think he,s had 29 on the weekend as a 6-3 roaming mid. My worry or concern is we have no bargaining power as far as early picks so Siers is a miss and Langers may want out and end up playing elsewhere in the position as above. Hes AFL everyday but he,s not a coal face mid.

Seems odd that a player needs to be managed after a 10 day break, doesn't it?
A ten day break followed by a five day break, though. Don't forget that. It's not entirely impossible the plan is to play him against Sydney, with the idea being that he'd struggle to back up and play with only a five day break after the Geelong game.

Having said all that, I'd say he's probably been dropped though.

Our new full forward apparently :drunk:

B2R9f7V.png

MattyB3150

Team Captain
May 19, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Whenever he gets the ball and has an opportunity to kick it...i would love him to bomb it 60+ metres into our forward line at the SCG!

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
Left field speculation warning: EFC, reeling after the drugs debacle and keen to restore the faith of the players and supporters who feel collectively maligned, seeks to resign those suspended players. Myers' manager craftily has a specified number of games the club must gift his player built into the contract.

Now, the emergence of Knoll...

Wearybomber

Debutant
Jun 7, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Left field speculation warning: EFC, reeling after the drugs debacle and keen to restore the faith of the players and supporters who feel collectively maligned, seeks to resign those suspended players. Myers' manager craftily has a specified number of games the club must gift his player built into the contract.

Now, the emergence of Knoll...

Great well thought out post.........after 4 years of the general public discussing your honesty as a player why not continue that theme on right to the end of his career . Interested to see if you get a reminder of the terms and conditions on here as I get them for offending people like you who are trying to score cheap points at the expense of other human beings .
By the way I dont accept the terms and conditions
So ban me 😊

Wearybomber

Debutant
Jun 7, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon

what?
What don't you understand ???? Is'nt ghost dog insinuating hes getting games by a clause in his contract ?????or am I missing something here but as I read it he cheating in getting game time but feel free if you want to explain what that meant or its as I said just another free kick

Back