Mid season draft

Remove this Banner Ad

We don’t really need another ruckman in the mid season draft but just for interest sake for anyone that has watched Swan Districts - what is Corey Gault’s ruckwork like? Is he a decent ruckman? Won their B&F 2017 and was solid last year as well. 5 goals today.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

We should only grab someone outstanding. Either a mature ager that has pulled their finger out (ala Kelly) or a 19yo that missed drafting and has gone to the next level.

Definitely shouldn't just draft somebody for the sake of it.

When did Kelly pull his finger out? He's always worked hard and been quality

One thing the mid season draft offers is locking a player away, so I guess if there are a few players you would think of recruiting as mature age players in at the end of the year, it is a bit of a loophole to let go of players like Kersten and have a player in waiting without the need to actually play them - I am not sure of the rules but I did hear something on sport radio to this effect. For us, I think this would be more the case, rather than using it for the purpose it was designed for - and that is to fill a need.

When we are having trouble fitting Blakely into the team things are looking pretty good - but that also means players down the pecking order may struggle to ever get a gam, so maybe move them on and take a risk on a young mature age player that may be finding form for what ever reason (injury recovery, extra work and dedication, growth...)

We don’t really need another ruckman in the mid season draft but just for interest sake for anyone that has watched Swan Districts - what is Corey Gault’s ruckwork like? Is he a decent ruckman? Won their B&F 2017 and was solid last year as well. 5 goals today.

I saw a few games last year and one this year; personally I think Scott Jones has just as much chance of making it. As mentioned in the other thread, I wouldn't mind if we made getting a more mobile ruck with some real talent a thing for this years draft.

Where mature age is concerned there has to be "something" - I was a big fan of the talent that sits with Michael Bennell last year but his age bracket is not great and now we have a few playing the role that he would play at the next level very well. Still think he could suit a team like North Melbourne or Saints or Hawthorn.

The mature age player that has stood out for me this year as someone who could potentially make it at the next level is Ryan Bennell (complete coincidence about the same surname). I just love the balance he has, doesn't lose his feet easily, good tackler and a true goalsneak (very good kicking on the turn which is what is needed). Wouldn't draft him in the mid-season but would be interested in him with a late pick or rookie at the end of the year. Mind you I think Liam Henry is a much more talented version of the same kind of thing, so don't know that we need to go out of our way.

Kelly definitely improved across 2015/16/17. I would have liked us to jump in a year early in 2016 ND. Apparently WCE were close to picking him then late in the ND or RD.

Haselby who used to coach Kelly early doors made note of his weaknesses (ie a few times in commentary on 7Mate WAFL telecasts) that were highlighted by recruiters - kicking being one of them and work rate another. But his clearance work has always been elite. I think unfortunately our recruiters and WCE recruiters through sheer volume of exposure talked themselves out of recruiting Kelly.

For mine and everything is great in hindsight of course but I liked what I saw in 2016, which was a significant level above 2015. Articles written well into 2016 seemed to indicate that the penny dropped and he worked hard in the 2015/16 preseason.

If the mid-season draft was in effect back in 2017 then T.Kelly would have been one of the first names called out such was the brilliance of his season esp. the first half.

Kelly definitely improved across 2015/16/17. I would have liked us to jump in a year early in 2016 ND. Apparently WCE were close to picking him then late in the ND or RD.

Haselby who used to coach Kelly early doors made note of his weaknesses (ie a few times in commentary on 7Mate WAFL telecasts) that were highlighted by recruiters - kicking being one of them and work rate another. But his clearance work has always been elite. I think unfortunately our recruiters and WCE recruiters through sheer volume of exposure talked themselves out of recruiting Kelly.

For mine and everything is great in hindsight of course but I liked what I saw in 2016, which was a significant level above 2015. Articles written well into 2016 seemed to indicate that the penny dropped and he worked hard in the 2015/16 preseason.

If the mid-season draft was in effect back in 2017 then T.Kelly would have been one of the first names called out such was the brilliance of his season esp. the first half.

The first time I saw Kelly play at Souths about 5 years ago, Andy McLeod was the first player I thought of.

Stupid by the club to say no.
A free hit at someone who could help us win a flag, we need to be more ruthless.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-04-29/why-selfless-sandi-offered-to-retire-midseason

FREMANTLE champion Aaron Sandilands selflessly offered to retire ahead of the return of the AFL's Mid-Season Rookie Draft, but will instead play out the year.
The 211cm ruckman's proposal would have enabled the Dockers to open up a list spot to bring in a standout player outside the AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A free hit at someone who could help us win a flag, we need to be more ruthless.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-04-29/why-selfless-sandi-offered-to-retire-midseason

FREMANTLE champion Aaron Sandilands selflessly offered to retire ahead of the return of the AFL's Mid-Season Rookie Draft, but will instead play out the year.
The 211cm ruckman's proposal would have enabled the Dockers to open up a list spot to bring in a standout player outside the AFL.
Why is it stupid, if Sandi gets himself fit in the second half of the year and we play finals he’ll be more than handy .

Why is it stupid, if Sandi gets himself fit in the second half of the year and we play finals he’ll be more than handy .
Will Sandi help us win a flag.

Lobb and Darcy are fine in the ruck, either will be good for finals and finals experience will be handy for either.

The Hawks traded out Lewis and Mitchell, not to help them this year but for the future.

We are too short sighted

I’d say we don’t rate anyone enough to draft them.

Will Sandi help us win a flag.

Lobb and Darcy are fine in the ruck, either will be good for finals and finals experience will be handy for either.

The Hawks traded out Lewis and Mitchell, not to help them this year but for the future.

We are too short sighted
Lol a fit Sandi I would take over those two you mentioned in a final every day if the week.

I think some posters are a little too obsessed with the mid-season draft. We are not guaranteed to pick up a best 22 player and would rather treat a legend of the club better than that.

We are currently struggling to fit Blakely and Duman into the team - let alone if Hill, Sandi, Bennell and Logue get fit. Sandilands has been an absolute legend of the club and has given his all to Freo. It would be great to be able to give him a proper send off before the end of the year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back