Player Watch Pick #5 (2018) - Connor Rozee (AFL Captain)

Sam Walsh has been playing AFL for 6 games and he's already twice the player of McGrath. So is Rozee, while we're on the subject.

I don't think there's a RS bias towards non-Victorian clubs.

The whole McGrath / Burton over SPP thing was probably justified following the slow back end of 2017 that SPP had.

If you go back through the records I'd go as far to say there's actually a disproportionally high percentage of RS winners from non-Victorian clubs.

McGrath was just a s**t call all round. Even at the time when he was still playing in Victoria I had Burton well ahead of him too.

I assumed someone would say this. Like I said Rozee is a gun, but Walsh is breaking records and is playing with the composure of someone 10 years older.

Check this out, the opposite is also true:

Walsh is a gun, but Rozee is breaking records and playing with the composure of someone 10 years older.

No one is denying that Walsh is posting some bloody impressive numbers. Thing is, Rozee is also posting some bloody impressive numbers for his position and is becomming a human highlight reel. If Rozee were to win the rising star, it would be because of the excitement factor. But then again, if a Port player did something exciting, and no Victorians saw it, did it really happen???

Loyal2Port

Club Legend
May 21, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Manchester United
seems so coachable. Chad cornes' slap on the backside on the last page in this thread means alot i reckon cos the kid oozes a bit of personality and arrogance but clearly he is ticking Chad's box. Unlike the other Chad.

Jun 19, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Anyone hear Andy Maher’s mini editorial on Rozee this afternoon? Went something like this....

“I tell ya, Connor Rozee is a hell of a young player and he’s fantastic to watch, but I reckon he knows he’s fantastic to watch.
Doesn’t mind gettin’ in the face of an opponent, ruffling their hair, clapping in their face, but he might wanna dial it back a little bit. Reckon there might be a few bigger half back’s in the league who are taking notice and might knock him back a peg or two.....”

Yes, this is the same Andy Maher who bemoans the characters being officiated out of the game and pines for the old days.

Why are we not allowed to have any slightly uppity players? Tredrea chastised for the bow, Chad Cornes for arragance, Chad Wingard for nearly everything he did in a Port jumper, and now Rozee. Had Hawthorn drafted this guy he’d be celebrated as the games poster child.

Nothing Connor Rozee has done could really be described as much more that cheeky or scallywaggery at worst.

Visenfest

Chasing stability
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Anyone hear Andy Maher’s mini editorial on Rozee this afternoon? Went something like this....

“I tell ya, Connor Rozee is a hell of a young player and he’s fantastic to watch, but I reckon he knows he’s fantastic to watch.
Doesn’t mind gettin’ in the face of an opponent, ruffling their hair, clapping in their face, but he might wanna dial it back a little bit. Reckon there might be a few bigger half back’s in the league who are taking notice and might knock him back a peg or two.....”

Yes, this is the same Andy Maher who bemoans the characters being officiated out of the game and pines for the old days.

Why are we not allowed to have any slightly uppity players? Tredrea chastised for the bow, Chad Cornes for arragance, Chad Wingard for nearly everything he did in a Port jumper, and now Rozee. Had Hawthorn drafted this guy he’d be celebrated as the games poster child.

Nothing Connor Rozee has done could really be described as much more that cheeky or scallywaggery at worst.
It's Andy Maher. Pay him no mind, because nobody else does.

robbo1981

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2011
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I don't think there's a RS bias towards non-Victorian clubs.

The whole McGrath / Burton over SPP thing was probably justified following the slow back end of 2017 that SPP had.

If you go back through the records I'd go as far to say there's actually a disproportionally high percentage of RS winners from non-Victorian clubs.
No way spp shouldn't of won the award that yr.

Andy Maher has made a 'career' out of sitting next to funnier people than him and laughing at their jokes whether they're any good or not. Why are we listening to anything he has to say?

Last edited:

ozph1870

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 3, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
dallas cowboys ferrari f1
Walsh will average 25 touches a game by the end of the year. For Rozee to win the rising star he is going to have to have a few games, probably against big Vic clubs, probably interstate, where he kicks bags of 4-5 goals and by the end of the year needs to have about 45 goals to his name.

King_Tredrea

Premiership Player
Oct 1, 2007
Port Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dubs, Bills, Chelsea FC
Not to say that Rozee hasn’t been outstanding, and there isn’t a single player from last years draft that I would prefer to have than him, but....Walsh is clearly the Rising Star as things stand. He is, along with Cripps of course, carrying Carlton’s midfield as an 18 year old.

Smithy7

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 1, 2014
South of Scotland
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
1556543287898.png

Could not resist scanning this from North game.
Rozze got the ball in the 3rd Q and, dodging around North players, passed to Boak who goaled.
Think Boak knew how special (sorry Bruce) it was .. :D:p

Jan 14, 2008
Salisbury, Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Man City, NY Jets
I assumed someone would say this. Like I said Rozee is a gun, but Walsh is breaking records and is playing with the composure of someone 10 years older.
Here is a question for you, there was a chance GC would trade 1 for 2 and 3, I believe Carlton showed Connor around their facilities predraft? Everything being equal and still trading out next years 1st for Stoker (a really nice move) would you now Trade Sam Walsh for Connor Rozee and Jack Lucocious? Sam Walsh looks great, but Rozee would be playing in the Ball at Carlton without a doubt and who knows how well he could potentially be doing there, Lucocious has looked ok, he could be on a Wing or CHB if he couldn’t hold Casbolt out of your best 22.

I know what I would rather at this point in time, it isn’t Sam Walsh.

Sam Walsh and Liam Stoker, vs Connor Rozee, Jack Lucocious and Liam Stoker will be a great comparison for years to come.

Sam Powell-Pepper’s first year as an inside midfielder was a huge component in us making finals.

Andrew McGrath acheived nothing close to that. Him winning the award may not have been “vic-bias” in a direct sense, it may have simply been because he was on TV more, or because he was the highest pick and therefore believed to have the highest potential.

Whatever it was, it was bullshit.

As for Sam Walsh, he is deservingly ahead right now, and would absolutely deserve to win the Rising Star 2019 award. But thanks to McGrath 2017 the award is clearly tainted right now when a victorian number one pick, playing for a big club wins it.
It was their biggest recent mistep agree, although I still had Burton winning it.

Personally think it was in reaction to the growing realization that their pick of the more obscure Lewis Taylor over top 5 thoroughbred Bontempelli 3 years prior was being made to look more odd by the game (even though at the time it was a fair decision).

They were keen to avoid a situation where the Rising Star was considered to be a poor indication of long term playing ability, and so erred on the side of caution with the #1 pick in McGrath. The Cinderella story it provided them with to close out the Essendon saga was classic Gil.

Last edited:

PowerLil

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 8, 2012
Western Suburbs
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

I heard that. Andy Maher is a stupid Carlton viccentric flog worried about Connor being better than Walsh.

Back