2019 F1 Championship - Round 4 - Azerbaijan Grand Prix

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers
Shame LeClerc's promising start amounted to nothing, but any time Hamilton doesn't win it's a good result.

Aug 10, 2011
Somewhere near Rachael Neiberding
AFL Club
Carlton
What a howler from Ricciardo. That's 2 blunders in 4 races from him. It has nothing to do with the performance of Renault.

This was my point in the other thread. the total amount of and consecutive points finishes, as opposed to the glory results, is what's going to keep his reputation intact and in line for a seat in a championship contending team.

If he didn't bother trying to pass Kvyat and just cruised behind him, he still would've scored points and that would've been a successful weekend. It would've been forgotten about because everyone knows he's not driving a great car and whether he finishes 7th or 10th, it's effectively the same result.

But now, everyone won't forget that he ****** up. The second tier cars (or worse) don't give value for putting in the big moves or trying hard. Just keep your nose clean, let everyone else **** up, and things will turn out.

But now as far as I'm concerned, he has to start again and rack up as many consecutive 5th-10th place he can.

Klyntonius

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
The nearest twisties
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Kawasaki Racing, Falcons, Pelicans
Poor mistake by Dan which was a shame because he'd driven very well. Complete waste of a positive drive, especially compared to his teammates lack of pace.

Now I'm no expert on strategy - at all - but did Ferrari screw over Leclerc again? It seems to me as though if they'd pitted him when he had a thirteen or so second lead that he'd have at least likely landed on the podium. Or was it more about using Charles to slow Mercedes to help Vettel (which also didn't work).

Mar 20, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
Poor mistake by Dan which was a shame because he'd driven very well. Complete waste of a positive drive, especially compared to his teammates lack of pace.

Now I'm no expert on strategy - at all - but did Ferrari screw over Leclerc again? It seems to me as though if they'd pitted him when he had a thirteen or so second lead that he'd have at least likely landed on the podium. Or was it more about using Charles to slow Mercedes to help Vettel (which also didn't work).
The Soft tyres were not lasting as long as people had thought (most were pitting around 10 laps in) so Leclerc had to go long on the mediums in order to make the 1 stop work

Pugz89

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 29, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The Soft tyres were not lasting as long as people had thought (most were pitting around 10 laps in) so Leclerc had to go long on the mediums in order to make the 1 stop work
Interesting though, the track was slightly cooler which may have extended the life of the soft in final stint. Still think it was worth the punt, both at the time and in hindsight.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Horrific by Dan, terrible strategy by Ferrari to keep Le Clerc out for so long.

Take the risk and pit him early

Mar 20, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
Horrific by Dan, terrible strategy by Ferrari to keep Le Clerc out for so long.

Take the risk and pit him early
Trouble is he probably finishes way lower than he did if he had to 2 stop
Leclerc was in trouble as soon as everyones Soft tyres stopped working after 10 laps. At that stage he had to run long
Although it does seem like every time Pirelli give a tyre estimate, there is always a driver that goes significantly longer on a stint.

Dan and Renault knew the start to the season performance wise was going to be poor, Dan went to Renault for 2020 and 2021, couple of bad errors but until they get their mid year upgrade its going to be a case of wait an see.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Trouble is he probably finishes way lower than he did if he had to 2 stop
Leclerc was in trouble as soon as everyones Soft tyres stopped working after 10 laps. At that stage he had to run long
Although it does seem like every time Pirelli give a tyre estimate, there is always a driver that goes significantly longer on a stint.
I don't reckon he was going to finish any lower than he already did, so they could afford to take the extra risk.

Aug 10, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
I can't recall situations when he was at Hispania and Tor Rosso. But Ricciardo has driven 150 races prior to joining Renault, and I don't think there's been moment where he's caused a collision to dnf someone else (Maybe to Rosberg in Hungary one year?), or where he's damaged his own car, never mind consecutive races.

He's done it 3 times in 4 races this year. The first time in his career he's been like that.

davis_756

Cancelled
May 24, 2008
unknown
AFL Club
Carlton
I can't recall situations when he was at Hispania and Tor Rosso. But Ricciardo has driven 150 races prior to joining Renault, and I don't think there's been moment where he's caused a collision to dnf someone else (Maybe to Rosberg in Hungary one year?), or where he's damaged his own car, never mind consecutive races.

He's done it 3 times in 4 races this year. The first time in his career he's been like that.
Pushing too hard to get results after making the switch to a midfield team? Father time is ticking and with Leclerc looking like the future #1 at Ferrari unless he can steal a seat with Mercedes Renault improvement is his only shot at a F1 title.

Mar 20, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
Pushing too hard to get results after making the switch to a midfield team? Father time is ticking and with Leclerc looking like the future #1 at Ferrari unless he can steal a seat with Mercedes Renault improvement is his only shot at a F1 title.
Don't rate the Honda powered Red Bull ?
Their engine appears almost on par with Renault at the moment, and constantly getting updates.

davis_756

Cancelled
May 24, 2008
unknown
AFL Club
Carlton
Don't rate the Honda powered Red Bull ?
Their engine appears almost on par with Renault at the moment, and constantly getting updates.
You can only bring 2 engine upgrades a year and Honda have already spent one of theirs with little to no effect.

Only way dan ends up back at red bull is if max dumps them to go to Mercedes buy even then red bull will probably bring dan ticktum up as their next #1

Mar 20, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
Dan isn't going back to RBR though
Which is why his best chance at a title might have been to stay where he was

You can only bring 2 engine upgrades a year and Honda have already spent one of theirs with little to no effect.

Only way dan ends up back at red bull is if max dumps them to go to Mercedes buy even then red bull will probably bring dan ticktum up as their next #1
I'm not sure if it was a full power unit upgrade, or just smaller parts. Most teams will have more than this over the season and take penalties.

davis_756

Cancelled
May 24, 2008
unknown
AFL Club
Carlton
Which is why his best chance at a title might have been to stay where he was

I'm not sure if it was a full power unit upgrade, or just smaller parts. Most teams will have more than this over the season and take penalties.
I was under impression it was their b spec engine so 2nd power unit though I could be wrong

Aug 10, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Pushing too hard to get results after making the switch to a midfield team?
I think he's just getting used to how differently he has to race the car.

He wasn't panicking to get a result. He was talking about getting back on track after screwing up.

Father time is ticking
He's 29 and it's not footy! I've said this before elsewhere, and maybe to you.

and with Leclerc looking like the future #1 at Ferrari unless he can steal a seat with Mercedes Renault improvement is his only shot at a F1 title.
The only reason why anyone would be worried by Leclerc atm is because he's a Ferrari development driver, so he'll get every opportunity to succeed. Otherwise, he's only had one good weekend so far.

davis_756

Cancelled
May 24, 2008
unknown
AFL Club
Carlton
I think he's just getting used to how differently he has to race the car.

He wasn't panicking to get a result. He was talking about getting back on track after screwing up.

He's 29 and it's not footy! I've said this before elsewhere, and maybe to you.

The only reason why anyone would be worried by Leclerc atm is because he's a Ferrari development driver, so he'll get every opportunity to succeed. Otherwise, he's only had one good weekend so far.
Yeah he is 29 but he will be 30 before his contract ends, maybe Vettel and Hamilton retire by then to give him the big seat but maybe max walks away from red bull and he gets left without a drive.

Leclerc is early days but he looks to have more raw pace then vettel, if he proves he does by the end of the year Ferrari will put their support behind him.

Unfortunately for dan I get the feeling he could have been a multiple world champion but he might not get the chance to drive a top car before that next generation takes over.

A bit like Webber, didn't get into that championship winning team until he was on the decline and the kids (Vettel, Hamilton) were able to match and beat him.

F1 is more about being in.the right place at the right time then being good.

Mar 20, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
I also feel that not getting podiums is going to ruin his reputation a little as an elite driver. So in the event that Hamilton and Vettel retire in a couple of years, I wonder if Ricciardo will still be the "best of the rest" option or whether or not some of the younger guys will be more sought after

Back