Play Nice AFL Womens - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Hence the 'bulldogs should take her to the human rights commission' line that happened so long ago
You're not sooking about an unrelated issue from a year ago, are you?

The case was silly but she did have a point in that had it occurred during the AFL finals, the player would probably not be suspended.
No she didn't. You can't make a case off of "it probably wouldn't have happened in another league".

Is it really true Daisy Pearce complained about the women not receiving salaries anywhere near as high as the men?

Is the woman even aware she's riding the coat tails of a professional competition as a result of political bullying/feminist putsch that's been going on the last few years. Obviously not as she actually expects a cut of the AFL's revenue. AFL-W can at least fund itself and be grateful the AFL has set them up with such a platform they would've never received if not for political correctness combined with the AFL.

*Sigh* Who would have thought an account that started with the noble ambition to vindicate Bryce Gibbs after Don Pyke was brainwashed by a Crows cabal to scapegoat him (thus losing the game, because...logic?) would descend the very next morning to liking every post potting women in footy they could, before butchering the quote function on a post from two years ago that not only misses the entire context of Daisy Pearce's words but also uses them as a linchpin to skirt Godwin's ("feminist putsch") while delving into a hackneyed, gross and just plain wrong opine on ungrateful women only being out of the kitchen because of political correctness?

Shocked to be sitting here in the "AFLW - General Discussion" thread reading something like this... for the umpteenth time. Fmd.

Any early thoughts about what Round 1 looks like next year? Personally feeling the Carlton v Richmond season opener might flow over to AFLW.

I want to see them try to go big for West Coast's first home game with a derby at Optus Stadium. But unless they're moving the season to a different window (pretty sure they aren't), the ground probably wouldn't be available until at least R2.

Gold Coast v Brisbane at Metricon would also be cool, something tells me the Suns will kick off their campaign in Mackay though... and against North Melbourne.

There will be more traditional VFL venues added to the mix in Arden Street, Punt Road (I'm assuming) and Moorabbin Ovals. I'm psyched about that but at the same time reckon those places, as well as Whitten Oval/Victoria Park/Casey Fields, are really only viable for matches against non-Victorian teams. My preference is for all games involving two Melbourne teams be played at Marvel Stadium and a refurbished Ikon Park.

With four new teams joining the competition next year and no plans for a major expansion in the length of the season, the conference system is set to stay — but there is a quirky new option being considered to make it work better.

It involves the seven teams in one conference playing the seven in the other conference teams once, for a seven-game minor round.

The AFLW competition committee will have a sub-committee work on this option and a number of others.

The one they consider to be the best option will be presented to the AFL Commission for approval mid-year.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-04-27/possible-changes-to-aflw-fixture-for-2020/11050242

Seems a strange leap of logic, to note how imbalance between conferences was an issue in 2019 and then seek to make every game a cross-conference one... still, I don't like it as a proposal, but I don't think I dislike it any more than I do the conference set-up in general. Would the first week of finals be 'in-conference', then (and thus against a team you definitely hadn't played that year)?

If there's a definite positive to what this article is saying, it does look like we'll get at least an extra week of AFLW next year, be that an extra finals week or an eighth H&A round.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-04-27/possible-changes-to-aflw-fixture-for-2020/11050242

Seems a strange leap of logic, to note how imbalance between conferences was an issue in 2019 and then seek to make every game a cross-conference one... still, I don't like it as a proposal, but I don't think I dislike it any more than I do the conference set-up in general. Would the first week of finals be 'in-conference', then (and thus against a team you definitely hadn't played that year)?

If there's a definite positive to what this article is saying, it does look like we'll get at least an extra week of AFLW next year, be that an extra finals week or an eighth H&A round.

The problem with the "all cross over" option is that it removes a key attribute of conference systems - i.e. that teams are competing against each other for the same positions are playing against eachother

I think the best bet would be that you play every team in your own conference once with one cross over game against the team that finished in the same position as you last season with a 3 week finals...assuming 10 weeks is the new cap. (i.e. Carlton versus Adelaide, Collingwood versus Bulldogs if they keep the same divisions and the expansion teams playing cross overs against eachother)

This is consistent with the AFL's "handicapped" fixturing of the AFL and how the NFL does its two extra games teams play within their conference

A six team finals makes sense. Top two teams go through to the prelim with cross over elimination finals between 2 and 3rd in each conference

If they bite the bullet and shift the season back into January so that the GF is on a stand alone than the two finals can have saturday night to themselves in the two rounds that overlap with the JLT and the home and away season will have no overlap with JLT

I like Option 2 because at least it comprehensively eradicates the issue of teams in the same conference having different fixtures.

Option 1 doesn't solve anything. And once again, with a mix of intra- and inter-conference games, it's not clear why you need conferences at all instead of just a single ladder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My preference is for all games involving two Melbourne teams be played at Marvel Stadium and a refurbished Ikon Park.
This year's double header at Marvel only drew 10k so the demand is not there yet. And I don't think teams other than Carlton are going to want to play home games at Ikon Park. Collingwood v Carlton needs to be at Vic Park next season.

This year's double header at Marvel only drew 10k so the demand is not there yet.
Somebody demanded it, otherwise the fixture wouldn't have occurred. On top of that, coaches and players publicly voiced support for playing more games there.

And I don't think teams other than Carlton are going to want to play home games at Ikon Park.
I don't think I suggested non-Carlton teams play home games at Ikon Park. In fact I recall stating my opposition to that idea on here around the time of last year's grand final.

This year's double header at Marvel only drew 10k so the demand is not there yet. And I don't think teams other than Carlton are going to want to play home games at Ikon Park. Collingwood v Carlton needs to be at Vic Park next season.

I would definitely still have at least one double header at Marvel, probably two. The crowd wasn't amazing but it gave the women the opportunity to play in perfect conditions. The Vic park game against Melbourne awesome but the gale blowing from the exposed wing enormously reduced the quality of the game.

I there is a balance there which I suspect still involves playing most games at traditional suburban grounds but playing occasionally at Marvel

https://womens.afl/news/17766/big-names-big-moves-2019-aflw-trade-period-preview
Teams will lodge pre-draft lists with the AFL on May 3. By the end of the draft (yet to be determined, but generally in October), clubs will have lists of 30, with up to three spots open for rookies.

There is information in that article which turned out to be wrong, but I haven't seen anything in the way of a conflicting statement by Sarah Black or another source to doubt list size comprises 30 players (both rookie and regular) in total (ie the same as this year, except for specific exemptions)?

I'm sure many people have had this idea before me, and there's a good reason why it wouldn't work, but would it be possible to:

1. Push all the men's state leagues back to begin in late February, so they play their grand finals by the end of August.

2. Use September, specifically the weekend between AFL round 23 and Finals Week 1 to begin the AFLW season. AFLW games as curtain raisers to every AFL final. Season continues afterwards into October and early November. Finals in November.

Gives time for a longer AFLW season without the AFL overshadowing the AFLW finals, and avoids the December-January heat. Could it work or is it a hare-brained idea?

I'm sure many people have had this idea before me, and there's a good reason why it wouldn't work, but would it be possible to:

1. Push all the men's state leagues back to begin in late February, so they play their grand finals by the end of August.

2. Use September, specifically the weekend between AFL round 23 and Finals Week 1 to begin the AFLW season. AFLW games as curtain raisers to every AFL final. Season continues afterwards into October and early November. Finals in November.

Gives time for a longer AFLW season without the AFL overshadowing the AFLW finals, and avoids the December-January heat. Could it work or is it a hare-brained idea?
What, in your view, is the good reason it wouldn't work? I have my own theory why it's not a perfect solution--curtain raisers are a backwards step and finals in November means you can kiss goodbye to, for example, fifty thousand people at an Adelaide Oval grand final.

I've been in favour of a spring season all along, but gradually less so. If the AFL wanted to go Sep-Nov, they would already be doing it that way. It seems they're willing to expand bit by bit further into autumn, which is fine by me because it means that at least the men's opening round doesn't clash with the most important AFLW match. A desirable standalone timeslot for the women's GF (my suggestion: Sunday 4pm AEDT) is probably the best we can hope for.

What, in your view, is the good reason it wouldn't work? I have my own theory why it's not a perfect solution--curtain raisers are a backwards step and finals in November means you can kiss goodbye to, for example, fifty thousand people at an Adelaide Oval grand final.

I didn't have a good reason why, I just assumed, as you pointed out, that if it isn't happening already, there's a reason why. I'm often reminded of the quote by HL Mencken: "there is always a well-known solution to every human problem—neat, plausible, and wrong".

I don't agree with you on finals in November, they could be played in the early evening. If 50 000 turn up to a Big Bash game just after Christmas, they can do so for an AFLW finals match in November too.

I didn't have a good reason why, I just assumed, as you pointed out, that if it isn't happening already, there's a reason why. I'm often reminded of the quote by HL Mencken: "there is always a well-known solution to every human problem—neat, plausible, and wrong".

I don't agree with you on finals in November, they could be played in the early evening. If 50 000 turn up to a Big Bash game just after Christmas, they can do so for an AFLW finals match in November too.
Cricket's occupation of the big grounds from October to February is what I was getting at there. Tough to play a game of football if there's a turf wicket in the way, even harder if there's a Test or Shield match going on.

Cricket's occupation of the big grounds from October to February is what I was getting at there. Tough to play a game of football if there's a turf wicket in the way, even harder if there's a Test or Shield match going on.

Good point, would have to schedule around tests. I imagine shield games wouldn't be hard to buy off given practically nobody attends them anyway.

Good point, would have to schedule around tests. I imagine shield games wouldn't be hard to buy off given practically nobody attends them anyway.
I doubt they would be bought off. It wouldn't be the money, it would be cricket not willing for its premier domestic competition being pushed around, is summer, by womens AFL. A precedent they would not want to set.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back