Solved Killer Couples - The Birnies & others

Remove this Banner Ad

Very interesting. The Candy's were Hollywood High kids? The Spiers were Iona kids.

The Birnies lived south the river but the vast majority of abductions were Stirling highway and one other Canning Highway.

It is believed some had been to venues in Claremont prior to heading home.

Mary Neilson
22 year old Mary Neilson was studying psychology at the University of Western Australia and working part-time in a delicatessen

Susannah Candy
Two weeks after the murder of Mary Neilson, they abducted 15-year-old Susannah Candy as she hitchhiked along Stirling Highway in Claremont, Australia. She was an outstanding student at Hollywood Senior High School, and lived at home with her parents and siblings in Nedlands, Australia

Noelene Patterson
On 1 November, they saw 31-year-old Noelene Patterson standing beside her car on the Canning Highway; she had run out of fuel while on her way home from her job as bar manager at the Nedlands Golf Club

Denise Brown
On 5 November, the Birnies abducted 21-year-old Denise Brown as she was waiting for a bus on Stirling Highway.

Kate Moir
17 year old Kate Moir was abducted at knifepoint after accepting a ride from the Birnies.
*Kate was abducted the night before on Stirling Highway, Nedlands, after an evening at Claremont with friends.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_and_Catherine_Birnie

Kate Moir was taken in Bruce Street Nedlands not Stirling Highway. She had walked down the highway then down Bruce St towards her parents house in Hillway. Susannah Candy lived very close to Moir.

Does anyone know which school each of the Birnies victims went to?

Not implying Birnies committed the crimes. Just establishing motive, although apparently some of the victims were visiting Claremont entertainment precinct.

*Warning: media reports not always accurate

Candy went to Hollywood High
Muir too (surviving victim)
There is indisputable evidence of this.

I know some of them went to Hollywood. Easy find. Where did the rest go? I think Moir had left Claremont entertainment precinct.

Ferguson who worked on the Claremont murders gets a mention in this new pod.

One of my friends who lived in Collie recalls when David Birnie’s mother went to live in Collie. David was arrested in 1986, and arrangements were made by State Housing to send Margaret to live there. I’m curious as to why she was sent to Collie, and wonder if she may have possibly grown up there. If that was the case, it might mean David had reason to travel to Collie in 1980 – to visit relatives.

In the near future I’ll be doing some research on Margaret Birnie nee McNamara https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/48184243?searchTerm=birnie

One of my relatives remembers Margaret Birnie (David's mother) from the 1950s. I think she knew Margaret through their children who had attended Wattle Grove primary school. Margaret and John had 5 sons, David was the oldest.

Evidently, Margaret used to catch the bus. One time young David was seated, playing with a coin, he was running the coin back and forth along the window ledge. When the coin accidently dropped it fell out of the window and Margaret went berserk. Margaret laced into David, and was banging his head into the back of the bus seat. That's just one example, apparently David's childhood was very dire.

From what I've read, Margaret and John divorced about 1961 and neither one would take David so he was fostered.

About 1984 Catherine had been staying in hospital when David went to visit. Catherine was married but started having an affair with David. The pair had dated each other years beforehand. I wonder if David simply pursued Catherine with the intentions of using her to commit evil. He knew from beforehand that she'd do anything he asked, and wasn't overly bright. David and Catherine spent the following year practicing and planning for the abductions (1985).

Beforehand, during the late '70s and early '80s several young women were killed. David would have been in his early thirties by then. At the time young women often hitchhiked, and I wonder if David may have stopped and given some of them a ride. As David began to age, picking up hitchhikers probably became difficult for him - he wasn't nice looking. Hence, that might be why he pursued Catherine again, he needed her help.

During the abductions it was Catherine who had enticed the women into the car (Oct/Nov 1986).

Last edited:
With regard to the Birnies, there is some useful information on this page about them. I can’t speak to its accuracy because elements of it conflict with other information I’ve seen, but I found some details about prison stints and their relationship timeline that seems to be accurate, at least as a starting point.

It appears that they were in strife for their first series of crimes is June 1969. David then broke out of jail (? hadn’t head that before) in June 1970 and when they were apprehended he was given an additional 2.5 years on his sentence. From what I gather they didn’t have anything to do with each other until they found their way together again sometime around 1980-1985.

ETA: I am not dismissing LAM’s comment about them reconnecting in 1984; I’m trying to draw the broadest possible interpretation of when it might have been.

The crimes that interest me that may be related to David Birnie specifically are the ones that occurred after his release and before he hooked up with Catherine again, mainly because I think anything that occurred after they hooked up would have been them together, and their spree didn’t seem to start until 1986.

So that is Lorraine Kessey, Felicia Wilson, Cheryl Hawking, Kerryn Tate, Pauline Walter, Annette Deverell, Lisa Mott. As OES identified, it is confusing as to why some of these have been commented on as potentially linked to Birnie while others not. But there may be further reasons to eliminate Birnie from some of these, of course. There was certainly a spate of disappearances around the late 70s-1980 when Birnie for all intents and purposes seems to have been out of jail and pre-Catherine.

The two that occurred just prior to the Birnies’ spree - Cheryl Renwick and Barbara Western - I can see why those have been specifically linked given the timing and the info provided by Cheryl’s daughter, Michelle.

Last edited:
With regard to the Birnies, there is some useful information on this page about them. I can’t speak to its accuracy because elements of it conflict with other information I’ve seen, but I found some details about prison stints and their relationship timeline that seems to be accurate, at least as a starting point.

It appears that they were in strife for their first series of crimes is June 1969. David then broke out of jail (? hadn’t head that before) in June 1970 and when they were apprehended he was given an additional 2.5 years on his sentence. From what I gather they didn’t have anything to do with each other until they found their way together again sometime around 1980-1985.

ETA: I am not dismissing LAM’s comment about them reconnecting in 1984; I’m trying to draw the broadest possible interpretation of when it might have been.

The crimes that interest me that may be related to David Birnie specifically are the ones that occurred after his release and before he hooked up with Catherine again, mainly because I think anything that occurred after they hooked up would have been them together, and their spree didn’t seem to start until 1986.

So that is Lorraine Kessey, Felicia Wilson, Cheryl Hawking, Kerryn Tate, Pauline Walter, Annette Deverell, Lisa Mott. As OES identified, it is confusing as to why some of these have been commented on as potentially linked to Birnie while others not. But there may be further reasons to eliminate Birnie from some of these, of course. There was certainly a spate of disappearances around the late 70s-1980 when Birnie for all intents and purposes seems to have been out of jail and pre-Catherine.

The two that occurred just prior to the Birnie’s spree - Cheryl Renwick and Barbara Western - I can see why those have been specifically linked given the timing and the info provided by Cheryl’s daughter, Michelle.

This link goes into their time after arrest a little more and claims that the major crime squad took David out of jail in 1992 and drove him around Perth for 5 hours in the hope he would confess to other crimes. It simply says "nothing came from it". Whether that means he gave them nothing at all or nothing useful enough, I'm unsure.
It also has direct quotes from Catherine as to how she felt about the murders.

He knew he was never getting out & the only reason I can imagine he wouldnt have confessed to anything other than those murders they committed together was so as to not jeopardise any chance he believed he should have been granted to have closer contact with Catherine, which had been repeatedly denied anyway. Perhaps they should have repeated the excercise in later years when he came to terms with the fact it wasnt ever going to happen & Catherine ceased all contact with him.
I've read that when he committed suicide he was unhappy they'd ceased his regular phone calls with a female journalist amongst other things. If I've seen anything she may have said about that previously, I can't recall at the moment, let alone who she was.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He knew he was never getting out & the only reason I can imagine he wouldnt have confessed to anything other than those murders they committed together was so as to not jeopardise any chance he believed he should have been granted to have closer contact with Catherine, which had been repeatedly denied anyway. Perhaps they should have repeated the excercise in later years when he came to terms with the fact it wasnt ever going to happen & Catherine ceased all contact with him.
I've read that when he committed suicide he was unhappy they'd ceased his regular phone calls with a female journalist amongst other things. If I've seen anything she may have said about that previously, I can't recall at the moment, let alone who she was.

It might have been Amanda Howard 'the serial killer whisperer', he was talking to her regularly on the phone. If I recall correctly, he'd complained about not getting his anti-depressants as well.

The article does mention that Catherine and David broke up in 1984 for a short time.

David’s appetite for sex was insatiable. He wanted sex about 5-6 times a day, and would inject some kind of numbing agent into his penis so he could last longer without ejaculating. When Catherine and David broke up for a short time in 1984, David forced James to submit to anal intercourse. David wasn’t fussy as to how how he achieved his sexual release, he just knew that his needs must be met - and he had a brother that was willing to make that happen. In August 1986, James was even allowed to have sex with Catherine as his 21st birthday present - this was James’s first sexual encounter with a woman - even though he’d been having sex with David for years. The incestuous relationship between David & James would continue until David’s final incarceration, when access to each other was obviously limited.

1603356262134.png

I wonder when the photograph was taken, just there's a panel van on the RHS.

The article does mention that Catherine and David broke up in 1984 for a short time.

David’s appetite for sex was insatiable. He wanted sex about 5-6 times a day, and would inject some kind of numbing agent into his penis so he could last longer without ejaculating. When Catherine and David broke up for a short time in 1984, David forced James to submit to anal intercourse. David wasn’t fussy as to how how he achieved his sexual release, he just knew that his needs must be met - and he had a brother that was willing to make that happen. In August 1986, James was even allowed to have sex with Catherine as his 21st birthday present - this was James’s first sexual encounter with a woman - even though he’d been having sex with David for years. The incestuous relationship between David & James would continue until David’s final incarceration, when access to each other was obviously limited.
I saw that. 😖 I cannot believe somebody didn’t peg David as the sick and twisted person he was much earlier than the killing spree. Surely there must have been people who knew how dangerous he was?

The two that occurred just prior to the Birnies’ spree - Cheryl Renwick and Barbara Western - I can see why those have been specifically linked given the timing and the info provided by Cheryl’s daughter, Michelle.

This link goes into their time after arrest a little more and claims that the major crime squad took David out of jail in 1992 and drove him around Perth for 5 hours in the hope he would confess to other crimes. It simply says "nothing came from it". Whether that means he gave them nothing at all or nothing useful enough, I'm unsure.

I feel in my gut David Birnie is responsible for the disappearance of Lorraine😢

I feel in my gut David Birnie is responsible for the disappearance of Lorraine😢
Would there be anyway we could find out the dates David spent in prison. From most of what I've read he lived in the southern suburbs of Perth.
For those that don't know Lorraine went missing on 17 Dec 1977 (hitchhiking to Maddington).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back