James Faulkner incorrectly outed as the first Australian men's cricketer to come out of the closet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 6, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Didn't see any thread on it and thought as a milestone it should have one. Congrats to the guy for getting it off his chest and leading the way.

Also, I'm not sure what I expected the first gay men's cricketer to be like (truth be told I didn't have any expectations) but it definitely wasn't James Faulkner.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricke...p/news-story/42387b2489f7641f0dbb6d0ab206b2b4
James Faulkner has become the first professional Australian male cricketer to publicly reveal he is in a same-sex relationship.
Celebrating his 29th birthday on Monday, Faulkner used the occasion to announce via Instagram that he has been in a five-year relationship with partner Rob Jubb.

Will be interesting to see if it prompts others (from all codes) to do the same. Surely it would

It's not true, he was taking the piss.
I am shocked to be sitting here...
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-04...sex-relationship-announcement-a-joke/11057352
Cricket Australia says an Instagram and Twitter post from Australian cricketer James Faulkner saying he had been in a same-sex relationship was "a joke that has been taken out of context".

"come out of the closet" just sounds like such a stupid vulgar statement.
Agree. Wasn't sure of the best way of putting it, something like "reveals himself as homosexual" sounds overly clinical and weird as well.

Everyone feel free to share ideas for a better way to title the thread when this actually happens.

Looks like he's gone back in.

Have to think the newly-PC Cricket Australia will take a dim view of it.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know of straight men who are so close they refer to each other as their boyfriend, his personal social media is going to a reflection of his personal life.

His context matters.

He also needs to be aware that he has a bigger profile on social media than your average person and with that comes a responsibility to not take the piss out of coming out when there are likely many celebrities/sportspeople out there who are gay and struggling with just that.

It is fantastic when those with a big profile come out - imagine if you are gay and your hero comes out? Would be a massive boost. This type of s**t from Faulkner only hinders that.

So many idiots saying 'poor by faulkner'.......for what? Cant he have a joke or a laugh because he spends so much tie wioth this guy, some people think they could be boyfriends? Oh that's right, people get offended at anything. Or people who arent gay get offended for other people who are gay who might get offended so then they say he shouldn't post things like this. The ******* world we live in these days.............

Do women not go out with their girlfriends?

But the best part of all is the media jumping straight on it - showing how much of a big deal will be made when a male athlete comes out as gay. Thy probably just changed the mind of anyone thinking of coming out - ******* idiots.

Didn't see any thread on it and thought as a milestone it should have one. Congrats to the guy for getting it off his chest and leading the way.

Also, I'm not sure what I expected the first gay men's cricketer to be like (truth be told I didn't have any expectations) but it definitely wasn't James Faulkner.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricke...p/news-story/42387b2489f7641f0dbb6d0ab206b2b4

FMD, what an idiot for writing that article. goes to prove someone has a job to look at athletes instagram/facebook pages to create stories. No real journalism going on anywhere these days.

He also needs to be aware that he has a bigger profile on social media than your average person and with that comes a responsibility to not take the piss out of coming out when there are likely many celebrities/sportspeople out there who are gay and struggling with just that.

It is fantastic when those with a big profile come out - imagine if you are gay and your hero comes out? Would be a massive boost. This type of **** from Faulkner only hinders that.

Does the media who took this small exposure and threw it into the wind of a much larger exposure have a duty to the story at all?

They are the ones who made something of this. Maybe they could ring James and ask for comment before pressing publish.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back