21st Century Best XI - Perennial Contenders

Remove this Banner Ad

Gooners - Alexis for Pires. Spot on aside from that.
Nah, Super Bob was ******* great.

Alexis over Ljungberg.

There's no way in the World Alexis gets in ahead of Pires.

Freddy MAYBE but certainly not Pires.
Ahead of Freddie for me.

Fair enough. Just reckon Alexis carried Arsenal for years. Pires was great but also had the luxury of playing in a great team.
Nah, Pires was a brilliant player. Running style was like he shat his pants, but the guy was genuinely world class. Either foot, knew how to finish, great pen taker, good cross, good on and off the ball too.

I'm saying Aurelio was better than Riise. Was just never fit.

I'd have Carragher at CB ahead of Hyypia but it's close.
Riise had some exquisite moments in a red shirt including a decisive cross in the CL final.

Carragher is more than capable of filling a right back role to allow Hyypia a fully deserved spot in the team I reckon. Aurelio, like you said, never got to fulfil his talent.

Bayern Munich

--------------Lewandowski---------Makaay----------------
---Ribery---Schweinsteiger----van Bommel---Robben---
---Alaba--------Boateng-------Van Buyten--------Lahm---
---------------------------Kahn-------------------------------

Bench - Neuer, Mueller, Elber, Martinez, Scholl, Effenberg, Hummels

Bayern Munich

--------------Lewandowski---------Makaay----------------
---Ribery---Schweinsteiger----van Bommel---Robben---
---Alaba--------Boateng-------Van Buyten--------Lahm---
---------------------------Kahn-------------------------------

Bench - Neuer, Mueller, Elber, Martinez, Scholl, Effenberg, Hummels
Owen Hargreaves a bit stiff to not even make the bench.

I think I’d be trying to slot Eriksen and Vertonghen into the team. Both are very impressive players in a side that’s thereabouts. Good to a have Tottenham side included!
Can't do

Bench for them unfortunately

If 4-2-3-1 it'd be Eriksen vs Van der Vaart at 10 and Sheringham would drop out

I love attempts at ‘best-of’ teams. This thread is created for those of us who wish to have a crack at the best XIs (with benches) for the clubs who are always in European league contention, whether it be Juventus, Man U, PSG or Ajax, put it out there for discussion.

I’m more a Premier League man, so I’ll have a crack at four of the mainstays from England.

LIVERPOOL

GK - Pepè Reina
RB - Jamie Carragher
CB - Sami Hyypia
CB - Virgil van Dijk
LB - John Arne Riise
CM - Xabi Alonso
CM - Stevie Gerrard
LW - Phillipe Countinho
RW - Mo Salah
ST - Luís Suarez
ST - Fernando Torres

Bench - Allison, Skrtel, Robertson, Milner, Manè, Firmino, Owen
I'd change quite a bit here mate.

LIVERPOOL

GK - Pepè Reina
RB - Steve Finnan
CB - Sami Hyypia
CB - Jamie Carragher
LB - John Arne Riise
CM - Xabi Alonso
CM - Stevie Gerrard
CM - Javier Mascherano
RF - Mo Salah
LF - Luís Suarez
ST - Fernando Torres

Bench - Allison, Van Dijk, Robertson, Hamann, Coutinho, Firmino, Owen

I'd have the massively underrated Finnan at RB ahead of Carragher, Carra can play there but is MILES better at centre half. Too early for VVD to displace the work of Hyypia and Carragher since the turn of the century but certainly earns his place on the bench. Skrtel well down the pecking order. Agger was miles better than Skrtel.

Mascherano not in your team is crazy. Absolute monster. World class. Leagues ahead of Milner who is a great pro and I love him but not anywhere near Masch's league.

I've gone 4-3-3 with Salah and Suarez playing off Torres in front three. Fowler misses out because he did the bulk of his Liverpool career in the 90's.

Coutinho drops to the bench and Hamann has to have a spot on the bench so it's Mane who misses out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd change quite a bit here mate.

LIVERPOOL

GK - Pepè Reina
RB - Steve Finnan
CB - Sami Hyypia
CB - Jamie Carragher
LB - John Arne Riise
CM - Xabi Alonso
CM - Stevie Gerrard
CM - Javier Mascherano
RF - Mo Salah
LF - Luís Suarez
ST - Fernando Torres

Bench - Allison, Van Dijk, Robertson, Hamann, Coutinho, Firmino, Owen

I'd have the massively underrated Finnan at RB ahead of Carragher, Carra can play there but is MILES better at centre half. Too early for VVD to displace the work of Hyypia and Carragher since the turn of the century but certainly earns his place on the bench. Skrtel well down the pecking order. Agger was miles better than Skrtel.

Mascherano not in your team is crazy. Absolute monster. World class. Leagues ahead of Milner who is a great pro and I love him but not anywhere near Masch's league.

I've gone 4-3-3 with Salah and Suarez playing off Torres in front three. Fowler misses out because he did the bulk of his Liverpool career in the 90's.

Coutinho drops to the bench and Hamann has to have a spot on the bench so it's Mane who misses out.
I understand the love for Finnan but I wanted VVD in my XI which meant Carragher could slide across to RB. VVD is probably the best CB in the world right now and I don’t think the other boys ever came close to that.

I rate Robbo a much better player than Finnan for a bench spot. One of the reasons I chose Milner as a sub is because he could fill a RB or midfield role while Robbo is the LB back-up.

I feel dirty leaving out Mascherano but I can’t bring myself to remove any of the others. As I said earlier, I think he went on to become the better player at Barca while the service given to Liverpool by Milner is more than enough to warrant a spot. No qualms with your perspective mind you. Our teams are not in stark contrast. Many similarities really.

Its probably not the right place but I'd argue that his entire career is. IMO there is a false perception that he's overrated because his celebrity profile was always way bigger than his actual standing within the game.
So overrated he became underrated.

Beckham was fantastic.

Can't see many sides listed beating this

Juve:

Buffon
Thuram Cannavaro Chiellini Zambrotta
Nedved Pirlo Davids
Zidane
Del Piero Trezeguet
Dybala
Ibra
CR7
Camoranesi
Bonucci
Emerson
Tevez

Alex Sandro, Pogba, Vidal, Marchisio all unlucky.

Is CR7 closing on a starting XI spot yet?

I’ve updated my OP to include Manè and Robertson. I think that their exploits now warrant inclusion. TAA is also on the bench now which allows me to replace Milner with Mascherano which I know was a controversial choice initially. I still rate Milner very highly and he’s unlucky to miss. Nine assists and counting for TAA has swayed me to include him now as I reckon history will look upon him more favourably than a Finnan for example.

We need a Barcelona team in this thread.

I’ve updated my OP to include Manè and Robertson. I think that their exploits now warrant inclusion. TAA is also on the bench now which allows me to replace Milner with Mascherano which I know was a controversial choice initially. I still rate Milner very highly and he’s unlucky to miss. Nine assists and counting for TAA has swayed me to include him now as I reckon history will look upon him more favourably than a Finnan for example.

We need a Barcelona team in this thread.
a barca side would probably be very close to the 2011 cl final lineup, but with puyol at cb instead of mascherano

Ronaldinho, Eto’o, Suarez, Neymar, Rakitic, Rivaldo, and Alba are some other names that spring to mind.
personally i'd go for

gk: valdes
rb: alves
cb: pique
cb: puyol
lb: abidal
dm: busquets
cm: xavi
cm: iniesta
rw: messi
st: villa
lw: ronaldinho

you could make arguments for others. alba, ter stegen, suarez, mascherano etc. but i think that alves, pique, puyol, busi, xavi, iniesta and messi and untouchable.

personally i'd go for

gk: valdes
rb: alves
cb: pique
cb: puyol
lb: abidal
dm: busquets
cm: xavi
cm: iniesta
rw: messi
st: villa
lw: ronaldinho

you could make arguments for others. alba, ter stegen, suarez, mascherano etc. but i think that alves, pique, puyol, busi, xavi, iniesta and messi and untouchable.
I'd get Rivaldo in there. He was better than Villa IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back