What has happened since the GF. Why? And what is Simo going to do about it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Simmo just doesn't seem to be willing to make the tough calls, so unfortunately we may not be going anywhere.

After winning a premiership you can see how he'd get in that mindset.

Football changes every two weeks and it seems like we've been on the receiving end of one of those changes. The first half of last year Simmo was taking risks, making strong squad selections and that built our H&A record and ultimate top two finish, finals assault, and flag. Fast forward a year and we're reactive, the other clubs clearly have a method of slowing us down and we've been unable to find answers onfield with the teams we've selected.

Simpson doesn't need to gut the 22. He needs to refine it, build on its obvious strengths and cover its weaknesses. The lack of pace through the middle and into the forward half can't be fixed by effort alone but a below average contested ball efforts can free up our kicking and marking game.

Tend to agree with some of the calls. Lose a back, shorten the forward line add a little more inside grunt to free up Gaff and get some versatility back that made us unpredictable with the ball in hand.

Make some hard calls, see if we can string some wins together and drag ourselves to the mid-season bye with a respectable W-L ratio.

Last edited:

Yeah pretty bad reading. Will be interesting to see what they do to turn it around. Maybe they got it wrong over the preseason, didnt plan correctly for new rules
Personally I think the impact of the rule changes is being overstated.
At an individual player level we're seeing our guys getting beaten in ways they did not get beaten last season. When that happens to the extent it has, any game plan is going to look like crap. One blown contest can domino into a goal that should never have happened, and we're blowing a shitload of contests this season. Personally I think Simmo's system is fundamentally sound, and is being let down by too many individual moments going badly.
It's frustrating as hell to watch, but the flip is that it feels largely correctable.

The coach was basically saying we need to get our hands on the ball first before we can change anything else! We can't even get the ball or keep possession effectively?
Just running around chasing tail all game, and that's exhausting..and embarrassing to watch.

Being second to the ball and missing targets/dropping marks is what's letting the team down.

There was at least 5 sitters for the WC forwards to mark, and they dropped. At least 10 critical turnovers in the middle of the ground- at least 5 that lead to goals. Kelly was quiet, but Ablett single handedly contributed to 5 goals.

Possessions were down because everytime WC got their hands on the ball they gave it back to Geelong who hit their target. Port just spanked them in the wet weather because they couldn't kick and mark.

WC still beat foldmantle by 25% of their score...

The coach was basically saying we need to get our hands on the ball first before we can change anything else! We can't even get the ball or keep possession effectively?
Just running around chasing tail all game, and that's exhausting..and embarrassing to watch.

Crap. How many times did we get the ball and hack kick around the corner straight to the opposition? Lost count.

How many times did we have the ball and had no handball options because of pressure.

How many times did we fluff a kick straight back in the corridor?

How many times did we kick forward only to have no one positioned for a ground ball spillage?

We had the bloody ball we just gave it straight back.

I can handle losses.........just not embarrassing ourselves when we all know we are much, much better than that.
That's the point though, right?
That's exactly why it is so frustrating. Because we are better than that. We all know it because it is written into history. I think you c**** know what happened.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Crap. How many times did we get the ball and hack kick around the corner straight to the opposition? Lost count.

How many times did we have the ball and had no handball options because of pressure.

How many times did we kick forward only to have no one positioned for a ground ball spillage?

Against Geelong we had it 150 times less than geelong. we didn't have it much at all mate.
All the points you make are correct for the very few times we had it.

We don't take long to turn on our own do we?

I trust our coaching team to iron out the issues. Simmo has done more than enough to prove he can fix a mess.
If we lose narrowly, it's some tweaking required.

We are getting smashed.

There are some in here with a "she'll be right".

Clarkson was trading and retiring blokes who'd just won premierships but Simmo is persisting with whats not working. Probably out of misplaced loyalty. He has plenty of levers he can and should be pulling. He is responsible for getting the most from our list and he needs to quick.

Hawks were 3 and 3 during the first 6 round in 2015.

Let's not do this, we've been belted the past two weeks and the performance against Freo was hardly inspiring. Hawks were losing close games against decent opposition while being "the hunted" iirc.

Against Geelong we had it 150 times less than geelong. we didn't have it much at all mate.

Hold on. Just think about that list. If we execute properly and set up properly that generates possession strings and also denies the opposition. So in a string where we cough it up the Cats then get 3 or 4 possessions instead of us retaining possession and we get another 3 or 4 possessions. Its a six to eight possession turn around every turnover. Do that 10 times we get 40 more possessions they get 40 less.

Fix that 5 x a quarter = 20 times during the game the we get 80 more they get 80 less as they are chasing our tails.

Of course we dont get the ball if we keep handing it back to them.

Clarkson was trading and retiring blokes who'd just won premierships but Simmo is persisting with whats not working. Probably out of misplaced loyalty. He has plenty of levers he can and should be pulling. He is responsible for getting the most from our list and he needs to quick.

Tell me who Clarkson was retiring in 2015?
Every club trades.

Some of you blokes are hard to please.
I read somewhere that WC have won more games and finals than any other
club in the past 4 years (correct me if I'm wrong someone).

We're 6 games in and he's "not doing enough, "has no mongrel in him" FFS!

Simmo just doesn't seem to be willing to make the tough calls, so unfortunately we may not be going anywhere.

It’s funny how much a fine line is between panicking and creating chaos and “not willing to make tough calls”.

Apparently he should have made all these calls after losing one in a row following a premiership.

Exactly. We couldn't get the ball, or hold onto it, or use it effectively if we did get it. Cats and Port were
like pinball machines...we spent our energy trying to keep up, completely on their terms.
Tell me who Clarkson was retiring in 2015?
Every club trades.
Some of you blokes are hard to please.
I read somewhere that WC have won more games and finals than any other
club in the past 4 years (correct me if I'm wrong someone).
We're 6 games in and he's "not doing enough, "has no mongrel in him" ***!
Not sure about others, not knocking the club or coach so much (yet?) - just trying to figure out why we've had such horrendous and unusual form slumps?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back