2019 Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Sydney was my tip to drop down this year.

I'm not sure about finishing last though.

I still believe the bottom two will most likely be Carlton and Gold Coast. Both with young teams playing a lot of kids, without too much quality depth. It's a long season and the grind catches up to younger players first. Both teams could fall away pretty quickly like Gold Coast did last year.

Carlton better hope Liam Stocker and who ever they draft with Adelaides pick is worth last years trade, because handing pick 1 to Adelaide will really hurt when Rowell is exactly the player they need to round out their midfield.

Adelaide will be happy if they end up with pick 1, with two SA kids, Will Gould and Dylan Stephens being outside chances to climb up to pick 1, or they just pick Rowell, or trade pick 1 to Gold Coast if one or Rankine or Lukosius requests a trade back to SA.
Hey briz, I just had a quick look at the phantom draft board trying to find some opinions on our academy boy Will Martyn, saw him ranked in the mid 20s on a couple of power ranking boards but no write ups. What's seems to be the general vibe/opinion on him from those in the know?

Hey briz, I just had a quick look at the phantom draft board trying to find some opinions on our academy boy Will Martyn, saw him ranked in the mid 20s on a couple of power ranking boards but no write ups. What's seems to be the general vibe/opinion on him from those in the know?
The commentary on Martyn from the Vic draft watchers has been that he can find the ball and rack up possessions, but needs to clean up his disposal.

Currently viewed more as a mid to late second or early third round prospect. Has been likened to SA's 2018 U18 captain, Luke Valente who went pick 32 last year (Valente would have gone a little earlier to Gold Coast, if Gold Coast hadn't of made a series of trades and kept their original picks, as Gold Coast really rated Jez McLennan and Luke Valente)

But there hasn't been much to go on yet. Wait until after the U18 Champs, when all the top kids have played against each other. A bit hard to judge the WA and SA talent when they're not playing against the other kids and teams in the NAB league.

Also, the academy teams are playing against weakened Vic teams, because the top 100 odd U18's and U17's played in two Vic Country versus Vic Metro trial matches the first weekend the academy teams played Vic clubs, and now private school footy is back, so almost all the top year 11 and 12 kids are playing private school footy, and we're again not playing against full strength Vic teams.

There's a new Brisbane Lions supporter commentating on the draft threads, specifically about the Brisbane academy games and kids. My guess is he's a parent of one of the academy kids. Offers some good insight, and I haven't been able to pick up any bias to one kid yet.

Just from reading the various draft pages it's a pretty open draft after the top 5 or so kids. Personally I like following Pie 4 Life's draft thread. His top 5 have been the best performed kids so far in the first month of footy.

Lachlan Ash was my hope for our first pick before the season started, but he has started the season on fire, showing great improvement from last year, and has rocketed up everyone's draft boards.

If Collingwood make the preliminary finals this year we're likely missing out on the second tier of mids and running defender types, and possibly looking at a few KPP's as the best available on board, going off the early season discussions.

The fact he was selected to play for the AFL Academy against Casey Demons is a very good indicator on how he is rated by club recruiters. Tough inside mid who also works hard on the outside and has a good field kicking technique. His appeal will be his ability to play on the inside and also on a wing and still have an impact, handy forward aswel.

briztoon i would not agree with others about his disposal, a few of his errors come from trying to bite off more than he can chew, his technique especially kicking is one I really like, keeps the ball low and penetrates never looping his kicks which will hold up at the next level.

The fact he was selected to play for the AFL Academy against Casey Demons is a very good indicator on how he is rated by club recruiters. Tough inside mid who also works hard on the outside and has a good field kicking technique. His appeal will be his ability to play on the inside and also on a wing and still have an impact, handy forward aswel.

briztoon i would not agree with others about his disposal, a few of his errors come from trying to bite off more than he can chew, his technique especially kicking is one I really like, keeps the ball low and penetrates never looping his kicks which will hold up at the next level.
Man, you must stalk our draft thread. lol

But you comments are always appreciated and welcome. You're much more informed than I am, as I am basically paraphrasing yours and Pie's work 99% of the time.

Man, you must stalk our draft thread. lol

But you comments are always appreciated and welcome. You're much more informed than I am, as I am basically paraphrasing yours and Pie's work 99% of the time.
When I post on a thread even once I’ll get notified of posts from that thread so yeah expect me to bob up now and again :p

Hope to get at least two live picks in before having to match bids on academy kids.

Still up in the air on what our “priority” should be come draft time.

Picks 16 and 24 should get us a couple of handy players, our recruiters have an impressive history around this range over the last few years. Hopefully as briztoon says we can use those 2 selections in the open draft and then Will Martyn + I want Keidean Coleman as well.

Hope to get at least two live picks in before having to match bids on academy kids.

Still up in the air on what our “priority” should be come draft time.

I'd still like a reasonably quick long running wingman, still think we're a bit short in that area. Some more depth in our mid to small defenders is a need as well. I wouldn't be shocked to see us trade our first pick or two for another known commodity. Not sure who yet though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd still like a reasonably quick long running wingman, still think we're a bit short in that area. Some more depth in our mid to small defenders is a need as well. I wouldn't be shocked to see us trade our first pick or two for another known commodity. Not sure who yet though

I reckon you're spot on on. I'd love a Whitfield type.i wonder if he's keen? ;)

If Coleman keeps playing the way he is pick "24" might have to be used for him.

I think he’s still a late pick or even a rookie pick. Kicking a few goals in a dominant side in a second rate state comp isn’t a huge achievement. Unless it’s a really weak draft.

I think he’s still a late pick or even a rookie pick. Kicking a few goals in a dominant side in a second rate state comp isn’t a huge achievement. Unless it’s a really weak draft.

Watch the reserves next time you get a chance and you'll be on the Coleman train.

We've still got the most of the season to go, the U18 Champs and NAB league, SANFL and WAFL finals to go, so there's still plenty of opportunity for unheralded kids to climb draft boards, but at this early stage of the year, it's not a strong draft for inside mids or KPP's, so the good outside players, and there's a few, are all being spoken about as potential top 12 picks.

Hayden Young (Dandenong) and Lachlan Ash (Murray) are two very good mid sized rebound defenders, that can take an intercept mark, offer run and carry, and in Ash's case is very good kick. Both look to be top 6 prospects.

Trent Bianco (Oakleigh) and Luke Jackson (East Fremantle) are spoken about as the top two outside mids, in the 7 to 12 range.

Lachlan Potter is the fastest kid in the draft pool, plays half back flank and wing. But has questionable kicking and decision making. Looks to take the game on at every opportunity, but often runs himself in to trouble.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back