Grant Birchall returns after 2 years out...

Remove this Banner Ad

COKEandCOLA

Club Legend
Feb 23, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
On a serious note does anyone know how Birch is actually doing? He’d be pretty damn handy right about now. Either way if he’s not back round 10 then I say we have a funeral for him ⚰️💐

I'm not sure but an update would be much welcomed.

Not sure about the funeral but if he's not fit come midseason draft then perhaps we could place him on the inactive list.

I would love to draft Zane Barzen to take Tim Mohr's place and perhaps we could also draft a midfielder or KPD with the second empty list spot vacated by Birchall.

Definitely not writing him off but at some point we need to do what's right for the club and he'll get paid either way.

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
I'm not sure but an update would be much welcomed.

Not sure about the funeral but if he's not fit come midseason draft then perhaps we could place him on the inactive list.

I would love to draft Zane Barzen to take Tim Mohr's place and perhaps we could also draft a midfielder or KPD with the second empty list spot vacated by Birchall.

Definitely not writing him off but at some point we need to do what's right for the club and he'll get paid either way.

It might be something we are forced to do because between Chip and Brand we are looking paper thin down back. With Chip out for another 2-3 games and Brand having to get his shoulder jabbed yesterday it's looking highly likely that Roughie might to have to be considered as a KPD. There is no one else on the list with Mohr gone and Kozzi not ready yet.

It might be something we are forced to do because between Chip and Brand we are looking paper thin down back. With Chip out for another 2-3 games and Brand having to get his shoulder jabbed yesterday it's looking highly likely that Roughie might to have to be considered as a KPD. There is no one else on the list with Mohr gone and Kozzi not ready yet.

Rough as a defender, as of 2019, is at its smallest statistical likelihood than it has ever been before.

If Brand and Chip are both unavailable, O'Brien plays down back. If O'Brien is injured, Schoenmakers and Lewis are more likely to play in defense than Rough is. Most of Rough's athleticism and closing speed has disappeared, he would be a liability.

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
Rough as a defender, as of 2019, is at its smallest statistical likelihood than it has ever been before.

If Brand and Chip are both unavailable, O'Brien plays down back. If O'Brien is injured, Schoenmakers and Lewis are more likely to play in defense than Rough is. Most of Rough's athleticism and closing speed has disappeared, he would be a liability.

Roughie no less athletic than Chip and Roughie can actually kick. If Schoey ever makes it back into the team then we are in trouble. TO did a good job yesterday but if he had to deal with McGovern or Charlie Curnow in that second half then it probably would've been a different story. I know the majority have already written him off but having Birchall back would change things dramatically for us. Heck if just him and Chip back there with Scrimshaw allows us to release Sicily into the forward line. That is how detrimental the longstanding injury to Birch has been not that its anyones fault.

4THAWN

Club Legend
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yeah this bloke is just about the biggest mystery at hawthorn. Heard no positive news recently but no negative news either, doesn't really seem like he'll be getting back into the AFL this year

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers

Would have thought they would go Nash down back before Rough too...

Flag08

Premiership Player
Feb 18, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Roughie no less athletic than Chip and Roughie can actually kick. If Schoey ever makes it back into the team then we are in trouble. TO did a good job yesterday but if he had to deal with McGovern or Charlie Curnow in that second half then it probably would've been a different story. I know the majority have already written him off but having Birchall back would change things dramatically for us. Heck if just him and Chip back there with Scrimshaw allows us to release Sicily into the forward line. That is how detrimental the longstanding injury to Birch has been not that its anyones fault.
With respect, the first 6 words in your post are wrong. Rough has the athleticism of the QEII now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of coarse he is no longer athletic BUT what I was saying was that he is no less athletic than Chip who is our 1st choice KPD
Chip is bloody fast, I know it's a while ago but he chased down Lewis Jetta while Jetta was still at Sydney. That's quicker than Roughead has ever been. It's quicker than almost anyone has ever been.

Chip is bloody fast, I know it's a while ago but he chased down Lewis Jetta while Jetta was still at Sydney. That's quicker than Roughead has ever been. It's quicker than almost anyone has ever been.
70BF5FB7-AED2-42BA-87D1-D62CA92A21AD.jpeg

Sirlemsip

Club Legend
May 5, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn

What is everyone's fascination with this? Sicily is an All Australian quality intercept defender. WTF would we put him in a forward line which is arguably our strongest area for mid/small type players (Gunners, Wingard, Bruest, Poppy).

Schoey looks past it, but I still haven't written off TOB just yet. Last week was promising and he deserves another couple of games to see if he can get some continuity.

Even if Birch was declared fit to play - my personal view is that we shouldn't play him over the likes of Scrimshaw who is developing very well in the identical role.

Milkshaker

Cancelled
Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
What is everyone's fascination with this? Sicily is an All Australian quality intercept defender. WTF would we put him in a forward line which is arguably our strongest area for mid/small type players (Gunners, Wingard, Bruest, Poppy).

Schoey looks past it, but I still haven't written off TOB just yet. Last week was promising and he deserves another couple of games to see if he can get some continuity.

Even if Birch was declared fit to play - my personal view is that we shouldn't play him over the likes of Scrimshaw who is developing very well in the identical role.
Flexibilty.

Simon Crawshay

Premiership Player
Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Frawley is actually one of the quickest players at the club over 20 metres. Would destroy Roughy in a foot race.
Yeh, one of Chips main assests is he is a decent athlete and quick off the mark. Its more his disposal and football nous that is the question mark (I am actually a Frawley fan and think he gets quite harshly marked on thus forum at times) .

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I want Birchs retirement strategy... and Jordy Lewis's to, both lads good operators.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back