What has happened since the GF. Why? And what is Simo going to do about it?

Tugga27

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 19, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Exactly. We couldn't get the ball, or hold onto it, or use it effectively if we did get it. Cats and Port were
like pinball machines...we spent our energy trying to keep up, completely on their terms.

Not sure about others, not knocking the club or coach so much (yet?) - just trying to figure out why we've had such horrendous and unusual form slumps?

Maybe a slight drop off in hunger?
Injuries haven't helped either.

Also, most of the top sides this year added to their list with A graders.
Collingwood got Beams and welcomed Moore and Elliott back.

Geelong have recruited well with some of their young guys and Rohan and Dahlhaus
plus Gazza has bounced back.

Essendon picked up Shiels and Daniher is back..

Richmond have a lost a few to injury but got Tom Lynch and Stack is turning
out to be a goodun.

On the other hand, we've lost Barass and Rioli and are younger guys are still a bit
inconsistent.

Bacchus

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2008
Down South
AFL Club
West Coast

Geelong have recruited well with some of their young guys and Rohan and Dahlhaus

out to be a goodun.

On the other hand, we've lost Barass and Rioli and are younger guys are still a bit
inconsistent.
Good point. We didn't aggressively go after players to strengthen the team. Rested on our laurels. Don't improve by 5 - 10% and you fall behind. How did Richmond get Lynch? Really missing some A graders too i. e Rioli, Barrass.

Good point. We didn't aggressively go after players to strengthen the team. Rested on our laurels. Don't improve by 5 - 10% and you fall behind. How did Richmond get Lynch? Really missing some A graders too i. e Rioli, Barrass.
I’d say we aggressively went after Kelly. It just turned out he was unobtainable.

Mongoosed

Draftee
Oct 27, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
JK looks to be a shadow of the player he was. Hopefully, he regains some form though I think we have seen the best of him.

Hardly going out on a limb saying that we’ve seen the best of him considering the 10+ goal bags, coleman medals etc he has won in prior years. I don’t think anyone is really expecting him to better that at this point.

Considering his limited preparation, the teams meagre inside 50 count, the couple of simple shots he has missed and handful of dead easy marks he has dropped he isn’t doing too badly to average 2 snags a game. The dropped marks (like the simple ones vs freo) are probably the most frustrating thing and what have prevented him from averaging say 3 goals a game for the year. I don’t think that any player of his calibre ever becomes so cooked they can’t take a regulation mark more or less uncontested.

I also think that say we were 5-1 right now and he had the same output that nobody would even be thinking “is JK cooked?”

He’ll turn it around. Won’t be smashing out bags of 6-10 goals I don’t think but i really don’t see why people are thinking he’s fallen off a cliff. How many key forwards are even averaging 2 a game?

Figure09

Club Legend
Jun 12, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Always did it with woosh and 2014
Crap. How many times did we get the ball and hack kick around the corner straight to the opposition? Lost count.

How many times did we have the ball and had no handball options because of pressure.

How many times did we fluff a kick straight back in the corridor?

How many times did we kick forward only to have no one positioned for a ground ball spillage?

We had the bloody ball we just gave it straight back.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Mar 11, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
WC has bottomed out and will build into the season starting from this week, looking forward to this weeks game.
No point being April premiers, we all know that, it's as relevant as Carlton winning the preseason premiership followed by the wooden spoon in the real season.
Carn the eagles, let the positivity flow.

Coasters7

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 27, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
Hold on. Just think about that list. If we execute properly and set up properly that generates possession strings and also denies the opposition. So in a string where we cough it up the Cats then get 3 or 4 possessions instead of us retaining possession and we get another 3 or 4 possessions. Its a six to eight possession turn around every turnover. Do that 10 times we get 40 more possessions they get 40 less.

Fix that 5 x a quarter = 20 times during the game the we get 80 more they get 80 less as they are chasing our tails.

Of course we dont get the ball if we keep handing it back to them.
This is why I’m still optimistic about the road ahead. Looks like a pretty simple solution from my point of view for the reason you just explained. Fix our turnovers and fumbles and we start dominating again.

Our clearances have been there or there abouts for all 6 games (bar the Port one probably) so we’re still getting enough first use.. just not using it like we used to for whatever reason. The amount of times we’re hacking it out of a stoppage is disgraceful. Last year we were finding one outlet handball and then immediately looking for a short marking target. On top of that there has been some appalling turnovers in the corridor this year. It looks easy for the opposition to score but that’s because we press so high. We were number 1 last year for scores per inside 50 entry.. so once we had the ball in the front half you were pencilling in a score most times.. hence no opposition scores out the back like we saw Geelong do every forward entry on the weekend.

I’m putting it down to pressure and expectation and hope we can turn things around. (Quietly hoping NVB is a bit of an arse like Mitchell and wants to win at all costs, Simmo and Bunga are great but are a little reserved and buddy buddy with everyone. Love Simmo but the evidence is definitely there that he needs a wingman that plays “bad cop”)

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
Hold on. Just think about that list. If we execute properly and set up properly that generates possession strings and also denies the opposition. So in a string where we cough it up the Cats then get 3 or 4 possessions instead of us retaining possession and we get another 3 or 4 possessions. Its a six to eight possession turn around every turnover. Do that 10 times we get 40 more possessions they get 40 less.

Fix that 5 x a quarter = 20 times during the game the we get 80 more they get 80 less as they are chasing our tails.

Of course we dont get the ball if we keep handing it back to them.

So it’s just bad footy yes.
We are losing almost all one on ones as we are weak around the contest.

Astro7

Official Halftime Oranges Man
Aug 6, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast

out to be a goodun.

inconsistent.
Interesting, I wonder if the draft where we were expected to get midfielders (kelly etc) but didn't, because we couldn't pass on the opportunity of snapping up oscar and brander etc, has that come back to haunt us in the short term? where's our midfield depth now?
And P.S. - Looks like Kelly just signed a 2 yr deal with Cats!?

Last edited:

Doashuey

Premiership Player
Sep 13, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Interesting, I wonder if the draft where we were expected to get midfielders (kelly etc) but didn't, because we couldn't pass on the opportunity of snapping up oscar and brander etc, has that come back to haunt us in the short term? where's our midfield depth now?
And P.S. - Looks like Kelly just signed a 2 yr deal with Cats!!
Wrong Kelly. Josh kelly signed 2 yrs with GWS

Dec 19, 2007
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
soccer rugby union and le
As has been said its not being only 3-3 its the manner of the losses.Bunga and Jetta kicking out from the square went to the same spot every time.No variation.Was it match plan?,playing safe?Nobody working to present?
I dont know whether its go harder or work harder? Probably both.

kerr87

Cancelled
Sep 22, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Hardly going out on a limb saying that we’ve seen the best of him considering the 10+ goal bags, coleman medals etc he has won in prior years. I don’t think anyone is really expecting him to better that at this point.

Considering his limited preparation, the teams meagre inside 50 count, the couple of simple shots he has missed and handful of dead easy marks he has dropped he isn’t doing too badly to average 2 snags a game. The dropped marks (like the simple ones vs freo) are probably the most frustrating thing and what have prevented him from averaging say 3 goals a game for the year. I don’t think that any player of his calibre ever becomes so cooked they can’t take a regulation mark more or less uncontested.

I also think that say we were 5-1 right now and he had the same output that nobody would even be thinking “is JK cooked?”

He’ll turn it around. Won’t be smashing out bags of 6-10 goals I don’t think but i really don’t see why people are thinking he’s fallen off a cliff. How many key forwards are even averaging 2 a game?

Our inside 50 count is horrible.

Which makes our forwards look even worse than they are. No supply.

Proper supply and structure and Kennedy would be kick 3+ a game.

EagleEgo

Club Legend
Jun 3, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Last edited:
Oct 8, 2007
WESTERN AUSTRALIA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
FLO-RIDA , PITBULL ,SEAN PAUL
'Smack a few boys in the mouth': Eagle's radical remedy - http://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-05-02/smack-a-few-boys-in-the-mouth-eagles-radical-remedy

Yes, this is much needed.
Playing professional contact football for a living, enjoying holidays more than the school teachers and receiving salary more than the State Premier, why waiting until round 7 to realise this essential elenent?!

I like it when our boys go hard and get the minds back on the job ..

Now get out there and Bite someone Masto ..

Oh and Happy Birthday Masten the Big 30 today ..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

Astro7

Official Halftime Oranges Man
Aug 6, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Maybe Masto can smack himself in the mouth every time he kicks it straight to the opposition
the image of that made me chuckle...although to be fair, after recent performances, nearly the whole team
would be smacking themselves in the mouth after turnovers...and that'd be very monty python?

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast

We didnt aggressively chase A graders we aggressively retained two in McGovern and Gaff.

Nic, Sheppard and Gaf didnt play finals and are all A graders.

We chased Kelly but didnt happen.

Back