James Faulkner incorrectly outed as the first Australian men's cricketer to come out of the closet.

Remove this Banner Ad

If anything it shows how piss poor journalism is in this country.

A bloke has a joke (that can be taken a few ways on instagram). And rather than ringing or contacting him to confirm that quote isn't taken out of context almost every news outlet runs with it being true.

Then when it is found to be inaccurate, they start blaming the said person rather than blaming themselves for this gross inaccuracy!!!

Last edited:
Alas I'm robustly bisexual not gay or straight but I just have a quiet chuckle on this one. What did he think was going to happen? But meh, I dont mind. The field in which I grow my shits is barren on this one. The lack of journalistic basic practices in seeking confirmation is not a surprise to anyone who has watched the degeneration of journalism over recent years. Clicks are all that matters.

I would say though that his timing and execution reminds me of his batting in recent years. Seriously has there been a more disappointing regression by a promising allrounder? He went from a finisher who could hit when needed to not being able to hit it off the square for like 3 years.

Is there a double standard?

If a girl says she’s out with the girlfriend(s) we don’t assume she’s gay

My married mates and I blow each other kiss emojis for a solid bromance

It’s called being comfortable in yourself

2zsc7v.jpg

Not that there's anything wrong with that :)

The hilarious thing about this 'scandal' is the reactive and contextually blind media that we have in the country. Bloody heck.

Yes, care factor is zilch. The media have overplayed their hand (once again) but the reaction on social media has been equally cringe worthy. Who really gives a toss about an ex first class cricketer's private life and what he chooses to post on line? Probably the most vocal people in this beat up are the gay lobby who thought they had a gay sportsman to hang their hats on. Their obvious disappointment in Faulkner's rebuttal has sent them into a Facebook frenzy.

As far as the media are concerned the FIG agenda is what drives them.

Originally being a sport of the English upper classes cricket should really be more comfortable with homosexuality than it actually is.
#muscularchristianity

Sport was designed to fight homosexuality. They thought putting a bunch of fit young men in a shower together a few times a week would... oh wait a minute I see where they went wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally being a sport of the English upper classes cricket should really be more comfortable with homosexuality than it actually is.
I can't recall his name but there was an english poet who played FC cricket back in the late 1800s or early 1900s who was openly gay.

The game seemed to handle Steven Davies who was playing international cricket at the time coming out pretty well. But that was announced in a forthright manner, rather than a speculation inciting twitter post.

At work I have a girl I refer to as my work wife - we get each other maccas etc on the way to work, I don’t see this as being much different. My old housemate was also my roommate at uni and we referred to each other as our other half for years.

The willingness to be upset is a bit frightening in this country at the moment

As long as it is a continuing joke then it well might be hilarious and as well as that, it softens the boundaries of what people
can put up with.. on tenterhooks..

The game seemed to handle Steven Davies who was playing international cricket at the time coming out pretty well. But that was announced in a forthright manner, rather than a speculation inciting twitter post.
A simple and elegant way to do it now would be to just put an engagement notice in the paper and see who actually notices.

A simple and elegant way to do it now would be to just put an engagement notice in the paper and see who actually notices.

Do people read those things or even use them? I'm talking about engagement notices, not the actual paper though of course most are losing readers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back