List Mgmt. 2019 List Management: Contracts, Trading, Drafting, Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Mumford still on the rookie list, and if yes whose spot is he filling?

The rule changed a few years ago with category A and Category B rookies,
Cat A do not need to be upgraded to play and clubs can have 4-6 depending on the main list size(38-40)
Cat B need to be upgraded to Cat A in order to play and clubs can have 3 on the list irrespective of numbers of Cat A
The Giants have 39 on the main list and then 7 rookies with 3 Cat B in C Brown and 2 of J Buckley, J Stein and Z Sproule not sure on who was upgraded at the end of last year to Cat A and with Ward going down the club has the option to upgrade a Cat B rookie to have the list size at 44

About 6 weeks out from the mid season rookie draft. Wards injury allows us another pick should we need it.

Where do we think we will end up? I would like to see us invest in someone like Freeman. It’s a free hit at a highly rated player. Yes he has injury concerns but he fixed his hamstrings in a surgery before he was delisted (apparently)
Definitely think we should invest in a rookie not so much to fill Ward's role, but moreso to fill the role of whoever takes his spot (whether that be Caldwell, Hately, Perryman, Bonar, etc.). This player would ideally help our young kids develop and therefore, I think a player with previous AFL experience would be preferred. As you said Freeman would be a good option and in my opinion, Ben Kennedy who used to play with Collingwood and Melbourne is another who has good grunt and aggression with potential to play a midfield/small forward role.

Apparently last year we expressed interest in small forward Adam Tipungwuti (NT Thunder (NEAFL) 22yo, 175cm, 65kg). Quick and creative around goals but quite a light, wiry frame. Limited footage so hard to comment on much. Personally, I think we would be better off getting some experience from an established midfielder who can fill multiple positions on the field.

I wouldn't mind if the club looked at Jye Bolton from the WAFL. Experienced player, although no AFL experience, but would fulfill that second tier role guiding the youngsters. I just don't think he'd be likely to accept that mid-season move with a limited upside. Freeman certainly another option - he'd presumably be desperate to return to an AFL list so more likely to be happy to move mid-season. The option option would be Mitch Maguire from Canberra Demons - he already plays NEAFL so would slot into the Giants' side easily enough and we could give him half a season to see if he had any potential to stay on an AFL list.

Bolton would be an excellent candidate but I view him as a limited player that would simply be good enough to play in our team with almost no upside in a position that we have young high draft pick players that could use some fast tracking

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-04-24/saints-swoop-giant-sun-in-st-kildas-sights

It will be interesting to see how this plays out and I do want him to re-sign as a lot of experience has left the club the last few years and if Shaw/Deledio and Mumford finish up it will drop the average age and the games experience significantly
I can see a contract around 500k per year for 4-5 on the table for Tomlinson and it is where other clubs value him as I could see an offer above 650k per year for 4-5 being enough to tempt him but it could come down to what Patton does as they only have one similarity in that they are tall the club may think Patton is harder to replace and want to keep him on the list if he shows some from in the back half of the season
TOJ or Sproule could fill a similar role to Tomlinson or Patton so maybe the club has that as a contingency but still a long way to go
If Tomlinson was to leave as a free agent with a contract around 650k for 4-5 years it should be band 2 compo and a end of first round pick which would be handy

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-04-24/saints-swoop-giant-sun-in-st-kildas-sights

It will be interesting to see how this plays out and I do want him to re-sign as a lot of experience has left the club the last few years and if Shaw/Deledio and Mumford finish up it will drop the average age and the games experience significantly
I can see a contract around 500k per year for 4-5 on the table for Tomlinson and it is where other clubs value him as I could see an offer above 650k per year for 4-5 being enough to tempt him but it could come down to what Patton does as they only have one similarity in that they are tall the club may think Patton is harder to replace and want to keep him on the list if he shows some from in the back half of the season
TOJ or Sproule could fill a similar role to Tomlinson or Patton so maybe the club has that as a contingency but still a long way to go
If Tomlinson was to leave as a free agent with a contract around 650k for 4-5 years it should be band 2 compo and a end of first round pick which would be handy
Personally I'd be devastated to lose our "Mr Fixit", even it was to the Saints

Would.be gutted if he left.
An original.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Lots to happen before the end of the season but I can see offers to his manager coming in around 600+ for 4-5 years so we will have to wait to see how this plays out and from todays article

The Giants are keen to keep Tomlinson and are believed to have put forward an offer to retain the unrestricted free agent, but discussions are considered unlikely to progress for now.

IMO the ball's in Tommo's court. I'm not going to begrudge him leaving for a better pay packet when he's actually hung around despite many many approaches as opposed to others leaving at their first offer.

He was on Bill & Boz the night that story came out and basically laughed at it. “No idea where they’re getting their information from” “love it in Sydney been here 8 years” “been here since the beginning” “Geelong went through a phase where players were being paid unders to keep the group together.” “Bigger fish to fry in contracts with Cogs & Kelly, they’ll get to me eventually” etc. etc.

I wouldn’t be too worried at this point, mainly because he doesn’t seem to be.

Would there be any interest in out of favour Bulldog Bailey Williams? Only 21 years old and had a ripper year at HB last year. Good intercepting qualities and a good turn of pace. Plays a Buntine kind of role but better in my opinion. Ordinary at VFL level at the moment but plenty of upside and a change of environment may help with that. Not sure what he is worth in trade value, but if cheap might be worth it with Shaw another year closer to retiring, Buntine and Reid average. At worst, can start in the NEAFL, get some confidence and work on pushing his way into the best 22.

If he does break into the 22, will give us more line breaking outside midfield options since it allows Williams, Kennedy and even Cumming down the line to rotate to the wing in bursts consistently.

Last edited:
Would there be any interest in out of favour Bulldog Bailey Williams? Only 21 years old and had a ripper year at HB last year. Good intercepting qualities and a good turn of pace. Plays a Buntine kind of role but better in my opinion. Ordinary at VFL level at the moment but plenty of upside and a change of environment may help with that. Not sure what he is worth in trade value, but if cheap might be worth it with Shaw another year closer to retiring, Buntine and Reid average. At worst, can start in the NEAFL, get some confidence and work on pushing his way into the best 22.

If he does break into the 22, will give us more line breaking outside midfield options since it allows Williams, Kennedy and even Cumming down the line to rotate to the wing in bursts consistently.
I’m not sure there is a lot of room in the 22 next year with the young talent already there. I think that’s probably Cummings spot

Too early to be looking at hypotheticals but for every player the club brings in on a higher salary than a draftee a 2nd or 3rd year player will probably leave either due to SC or perceived opportunites. I feel the club needs to prioritise retention over the next 3-4 years as too much talent has left the club for a loss on draft picks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One down, one to go (hey Cogs!).
Well done to the club and Josh on the deal, a sensibke decision from him to resign. If he does actually want to play at north, they need a couple of years of top 5 picks to have the talent for a flag. Also an attitude adjustment

Need Tomlinson as well.

I'd also like Lloyd but ultimately if either of those two depart I don't think it massively impacts on the team. Cogs (or Kelly) would gut us in the middle given we've slowly bled our depth out of there, albeit manageably with the guys not getting massive midfield time.

I'd also like Lloyd but ultimately if either of those two depart I don't think it massively impacts on the team. Cogs (or Kelly) would gut us in the middle given we've slowly bled our depth out of there, albeit manageably with the guys not getting massive midfield time.
Just think Tommos utility and skill at it is invaluable to us.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Great news that Kelly has resigned and most of this years work is done with really only Coniglio and Tomlinson left from this years grop but then it is on to the 2020 so really it is never ending for the contract negotiations
One thing I will say is great most of it is done early on in the year and I hope the others are done soon
I saw a figure of 550k quoted for Tomlinson today and I place his value around the 500k mark and I could see the club offering 4 years maybe 5 for him
I would still like to see Flynn re-signed and interesting that no extensions have been announced for the newest draftees where as previously I am sure they have had extensions early on in the year but maybe the club is giving them more time to settle in and the contracts team is working on the senior ooc players
With the form of Heath Shaw at this stage looking like he may have another year left in him it will be interesting to follow his form as the season progresses

Here are all the ACT/NSW guys who have nominated for the mid season draft and would think these guys are more likely then a non local if we end drafting a player
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-05-03/midseason-rookie-draft-the-full-list-of-nominees
Australian Capital Territory
Angus Baker (Canberra), Riley Budd (Canberra), Thomas Faul (Canberra), Mitchell Hardie (Canberra), Thomas Highmore (Canberra), Mitch Maguire (Canberra), Lucas Meline (Canberra), Jarrod Osborne (Canberra), Jack Powell (Canberra)

New South Wales
Riley Bice (Albury), Nick Coughlan (Albury), Cameron Riley (Campbelltown Blues), Josh Stern (Sydney University), Bailey Stewart (Sydney University), Jake Veale (Sydney University)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back