Free Agency Stephen Coniglio

Where do you think he will play in 2020 and beyond?

• GWS

Votes: 61 12.1%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 179 35.4%
  • Carlton

Votes: 185 36.6%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • West Coast

Votes: 27 5.3%
  • Other

Votes: 40 7.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Do you mean “just like a Hawk demanding others do the work” refers to the Hawthorn F.C that has been winning Premierships at an astonishing rate for over half a century, as apposed to a club that the AFL have bent over backwards trying to get them over the line to win one?

Or different?
Lol

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Still no proof.

I know as a fact you have been scouring this thread like a demon, yet still not one single “it’s a done deal”

Funny that. :thumbsu:
As a fact? Lol wow there really is no end to your ego.

Been watching the Kelly announcement actually.

I still stand by what I said.

Do what you will
Won't reply again.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

fnerd

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2009
Castilly rock
AFL Club
Fremantle
Still no proof.

I know as a fact you have been scouring this thread like a demon, yet still not one single “it’s a done deal”

Funny that. :thumbsu:
give it up mate, hawthorn are the new north when it comes to players rejecting them.
But you and your hawk brethren keep sitting round a circle holding hands and singing kumbaya :rainbow:

Sep 8, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
There are no other teams
give it up mate, hawthorn are the new north when it comes to players rejecting them.
But you and your hawk brethren keep sitting round a circle holding hands and singing kumbaya :rainbow:
Always start a sentence with a capital letter.

I hate that my taxpayer dollars are going to waste on our education system, that keeps producing young dullards. :thumbsdown:

Jun 6, 2011
Goonellebah
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Islanders
I came into this thead expecting to be lectured on Coniglio now being a certainty to leave the Giants now Kelly has re-signed.

Instead I find two posters arguing like they've just had a break-up, and demanding one another finds proof of non-existent text messages.

I should be happy, but I'm just as disappointed.

Sep 8, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
There are no other teams
I came into this thead expecting to be lectured on Coniglio now being a certainty to leave the Giants now Kelly has re-signed.

Instead I find two posters arguing like they've just had a break-up, and demanding one another finds proof of non-existent text messages.

Not really I was just replying to a guy that stated a lot of Hawthorn posters have said the Cogs to Hawks was a “done deal”

Just pointing out not one single Hawk poster has said such a thing.

Jun 6, 2011
Goonellebah
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Islanders
Not really I was just replying to a guy that stated a lot of Hawthorn posters have said the Cogs to Hawks was a “done deal”

Just pointing out not one single Hawk poster has said such a thing.

Honestly looking forward to picking up the next COG in our midfield and reuniting him with JOM and TOM where he belongs.
No idea....Especially when Cogs is coming to the Hawks, as everyone knows.

images (17).jpeg

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast

Kelly re-signs: There isn't enough money left to keep Coniglio
Kelly leaves: It's an exodus, now Kelly is gone Coniglio is out the door

I'm expecting Coniglio to stay. I mean I don't have any mail or anything, just my opinion...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Simon_Nesbit

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 26, 2001
Tasmania
AFL Club
Hawthorn
(NVM. Looks like what I got on email is all over the net anyway.)

Previously I'd been leaning towards him being genuinely 50/50, this puts it more to the 60/40 (staying).

The flexibility built in by the "Players right to enforce" clause essentially gives Kelly all the rights of a FA at any time after 2021, but he can hold GWS to a contract should he choose to do so. GWS can move forward with their Salary Cap planning for future years knowing the amounts they need to commit to Kelly (if he chooses to stay). The amounts - whilst still high - are not so astronomical as to be list destroying.

If GWS can continue to shed 2-3 players ranked in the 8-15 range each year they should be ok - so long as no-one goes hard for the salary cap.

Smart trimming of players in the 8-15 ranking could see GWS offer similar terms to Coniglio (and perhaps Cameron and Whitfield the following year too).

Last edited:
May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
GWS have shed Shiel, Scully, Smith, Treloar, Wilson, Lobb, Hoskin-Elliott plus others. That's conservatively about $3m worth of players.

Griffen, Johnson, Patfull have retired, Deledio, Mumford and Shaw are 32, 33, 34 this year respectively.

You want them to keep shedding 2-3 players in their best 8-15 each year?

B Heath Shaw, Aidan Corr, Jeremy Finlayson
HB Sam Taylor, Nick Haynes, Zac Williams
C Jacob Hopper, Josh Kelly, Lachie Whitfield
HF Toby Greene, Jeremy Cameron, Matt de Boer
F Sam J. Reid, Harry Himmelberg, Daniel Lloyd
FOL Shane Mumford, Stephen Coniglio, Tim Taranto
I/C Brent Daniels, Adam Tomlinson, Matt Buntine, Adam Kennedy

That's the GWS team from the weekend. Missing Deledio, Patton, Davis, Ward.

It's a pretty good team, but it's not the Golden State Warriors.

Simon_Nesbit

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 26, 2001
Tasmania
AFL Club
Hawthorn
GWS have shed Shiel, Scully, Smith, Treloar, Wilson, Lobb, Hoskin-Elliott plus others. That's conservatively about $3m worth of players.

Griffen, Johnson, Patfull have retired, Deledio, Mumford and Shaw are 32, 33, 34 this year respectively.

You want them to keep shedding 2-3 players in their best 8-15 each year?

B Heath Shaw, Aidan Corr, Jeremy Finlayson
HB Sam Taylor, Nick Haynes, Zac Williams
C Jacob Hopper, Josh Kelly, Lachie Whitfield
HF Toby Greene, Jeremy Cameron, Matt de Boer
F Sam J. Reid, Harry Himmelberg, Daniel Lloyd
FOL Shane Mumford, Stephen Coniglio, Tim Taranto
I/C Brent Daniels, Adam Tomlinson, Matt Buntine, Adam Kennedy

That's the GWS team from the weekend. Missing Deledio, Patton, Davis, Ward.

It's a pretty good team, but it's not the Golden State Warriors.

Not only do I want them to, I think that was always their plan!

Continual recycling of draft/trade value - keeping the absolute cream, whilst the support crew look elsewhere for a bigger share of the pie, or perhaps more opportunity, the trades/FA compensation for which leads to more 1st round picks. How many in that 26 would you happily give up pick 18 for? There's 13-14 names without even trying, many of whom would earn two picks of that value.

Back when their concessions were first announced I put together a rough plan out to 2030 or something, based upon not making "bad" picks (average for the selection granted) they were going to end up with 4-5 times worth of salary cap and not use a 3rd round pick until 2020. By shedding 2-3 players each year, they can keep the cap manageable, keep 2-3 first round picks every year, and keep the gravy train going for decades by which time the team should be successful, have enough history and generational support to stand on it's own two feet.

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018
Do you still believe no Hawks supporter has ever said Coniglio was a certainty to go to the Hawks?

He’s done to hawks. Was done last year.

So still not one single “It’s a done deal”

Interesting.

Maybe you should stop making **** up if you can’t prove it.

We both know the reason why you have no proof of any Hawthorn supporters saying “it’s a done deal”, because not one single Hawthorn supporter has said it.

Found another one. I think this nonsense back and forth can end now, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back