List Mgmt. Who is playing for their careers? 2019 edition.

John_Proctor

Club Legend
Apr 17, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Not sure why we wouldn't have resigned Mathieson. He has played the last 15 games for the club in a row starting Round 14 last year. He is only 22 still and in his 4th season. Over his 5th and 6th seasons under this contract he either stays steady and plays 10 games a year. goes backwards and is squad depth or improves further and is a best 22 player.

at the end of this contract he'll still be 3 years younger than Lester is today. 2 years younger than Claye Beams when he was delisted. 3 years younger than bundy. He is also currently 2 years younger than say Cutler and Lewy Taylor.

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Matho is a one trick pony with no defensive side to his game and hasn’t got an any speed or endurance at all . Surely him and Lyons can’t be playing in same midfield they are just so slow and don’t work hard enough . Hope I’m wrong but he has been massively underwhelming . Obviously good for culture and popular amongst his mates .
If he is no good then why did he just get a contract extension...

countryVicLion

Senior List
Aug 25, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I just can’t agree that Nrobbo needs to be singled out for his performance yesterday. All our defenders looked at sea at times yesterday. We were beaten at the stoppages and on the spread which makes the defence look second rate. Players rotated on defensive match ups.
I watched Nrobbo closely. number of times Nrobbo took the time to consider options before delivering the ball. Can you go through the replay and provide times when he panicked and turned the ball over?

Selectors seen it too, to slow in mind with reaction, game has changed and Nick hasn’t changed with it, AC also gone cant get by ducking all the time now and his fitness not up to it

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jul 21, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Surprised Robbo got dropped. Thought he was far from our worst and deserved another crack.

He works super hard and runs both ways unlike say Lyons and Rayner. The biggest flaw in our game the last two weeks seems to have been a lack of defensive running so NRobbo's omission is a bit puzzling.

Aug 31, 2011
Bris
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Surprised Robbo got dropped. Thought he was far from our worst and deserved another crack.

He works super hard and runs both ways unlike say Lyons and Rayner. The biggest flaw in our game the last two weeks seems to have been a lack of defensive running so NRobbo's omission is a bit puzzling.
I am a big NRobbo fan.

But personally I felt over the last few weeks he hasn't been as decisive by foot as he should have been as a defender with the ball. He's had options open by foot once we get the ball back which should be just taken straight away. But he has been hesitant to take the kick and as a result the options close down and result in a long kick down the line. Im not saying he shouldn't ever be kicking down the line, just that I feel like every time he gets the ball the short hit up option that is there isn't being taken when it is there.

But personally I felt over the last few weeks he hasn't been as decisive by foot as he should have been as a defender
Has he ever been, really?
When his confidence was up last year he was hitting kicks that he wouldn’t have previously.
But all other times of his career including the couple of games this year he would always hesitate. And the times he took it on he would either get caught with the ball or turn the ball over with a bad kick or a missed handball.

Aug 31, 2011
Bris
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Has he ever been, really?
When his confidence was up last year he was hitting kicks that he wouldn’t have previously.
But all other times of his career including the couple of games this year he would always hesitate. And the times he took it on he would either get caught with the ball or turn the ball over with a bad kick or a missed handball.
As you said, I think last year he had shown improvement in this area.

But, I think these days it is so important that players not hesitate and just hit up the open man. Especially for those less skilled players who don't have the precision kick to rely on once the opposition defence have organised. So it is an issue that is worthy of getting dropped for IMO.

I actually think his defensive work wasn't too bad over the last two weeks. It's been more our midfield and forward structure that have fallen apart.

countryVicLion

Senior List
Aug 25, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I am a big NRobbo fan.

But personally I felt over the last few weeks he hasn't been as decisive by foot as he should have been as a defender with the ball. He's had options open by foot once we get the ball back which should be just taken straight away. But he has been hesitant to take the kick and as a result the options close down and result in a long kick down the line. Im not saying he shouldn't ever be kicking down the line, just that I feel like every time he gets the ball the short hit up option that is there isn't being taken when it is there.

Spot on exactly my point, love his intensity and two way running but he hesitates and that’s stuffs up everyone ahead next in play

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I love Robbo - the type of bloke you want at your club. I feel he isn't good enough to be a defender at the elite level, but could definitely see a future for him as a tagger. He does have good run and carry, so could potentially play the Mitch Robbo role too. If anyone has the drive and work ethic to make it, it's Robbo. I hope he does.

Jan 13, 2016
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I love Robbo - the type of bloke you want at your club. I feel he isn't good enough to be a defender at the elite level, but could definitely see a future for him as a tagger. He does have good run and carry, so could potentially play the Mitch Robbo role too. If anyone has the drive and work ethic to make it, it's Robbo. I hope he does.
With Answerth looking OK maybe we might start looking at playing Robbo in the centre a bit more in the ressies to see how he goes.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I hope McStay never plays forward again, his goalkicking is among the worst I've ever seen of a forward at AFL level. If he can't stick as one of our top 3 KPDs, I'm in favour of trading or delisting.

Sep 19, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I wonder if the length of Matho's extension may play a role in possibly luring Parish to the club. I look at Parish as a slight upgrade on Matho and could very likely push him out of the team. Having Matho on a long term contract minimises that issue for them both. Maybe that's a little bit of a fantasy call but the club has form in reuniting friends and family.

WA Lion

Club Legend
Jan 27, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
So according to Contracts thread this is where we are at for OOC (with my opinion next to them):

Ryan Bastinac (R) - Wait and see but likely his last year
Stefan Martin - 1 year deal
Lewis Taylor - 2 year deal (still think he has a role to play, even as depth)
Tom Cutler - 2 year deal (backing him to kick on)
Ben Keays - 1 year deal (see if small forward role continues to suit him and see if he forces in to first team)
Sam Skinner - wait and see but likely his last year
Daniel McStay - 2 year deal (as much as I think he is lucky not to get dropped, still talented, had working and versatile)
Nicholas Robertson - 2 Year deal (depth and see if he can become a direct replacement for Mitch Robbo eventually)
Corey Lyons - Wait and see
Connor Ballenden - 2 year deal (big men take longer and has taken step forward seemingly in 2's)
Luke Hodge - Retire
Allen Christensen - Delist
Matt Eagles (R) - Delist (nice while it lasted but time to focus on Payne, Adams, Ballenden etc)
Mitchell Hinge (R) - 1 year deal (assuming he needs to be Senior list next year)
Mitch Robinson - rolling 1 year deals seem to bring out the best in him
Josh Walker - 2 year deal
Ryan Lester - 1 year (definitely keep given Hodge will retire, invaluable calm head and good clubman)

The big unknown for me is Skinner. Hope he goes well but not overly confident in that. Corey Lyons a bit the same

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
So according to Contracts thread this is where we are at for OOC (with my opinion next to them):

Ryan Bastinac (R) - Wait and see but likely his last year
Stefan Martin - 1 year deal
Lewis Taylor - 2 year deal (still think he has a role to play, even as depth)
Tom Cutler - 2 year deal (backing him to kick on)
Ben Keays - 1 year deal (see if small forward role continues to suit him and see if he forces in to first team)
Sam Skinner - wait and see but likely his last year
Daniel McStay - 2 year deal (as much as I think he is lucky not to get dropped, still talented, had working and versatile)
Nicholas Robertson - 2 Year deal (depth and see if he can become a direct replacement for Mitch Robbo eventually)
Corey Lyons - Wait and see
Connor Ballenden - 2 year deal (big men take longer and has taken step forward seemingly in 2's)
Luke Hodge - Retire
Allen Christensen - Delist
Matt Eagles (R) - Delist (nice while it lasted but time to focus on Payne, Adams, Ballenden etc)
Mitchell Hinge (R) - 1 year deal (assuming he needs to be Senior list next year)
Mitch Robinson - rolling 1 year deals seem to bring out the best in him
Josh Walker - 2 year deal
Ryan Lester - 1 year (definitely keep given Hodge will retire, invaluable calm head and good clubman)

The big unknown for me is Skinner. Hope he goes well but not overly confident in that. Corey Lyons a bit the same
Not leaving many list spots for potential up rookie upgrades (McInnerney, Hinge & Eagles are either upgrade or de-list), potential trade targets from other teams, or taking picks to the draft.

We need to take a minimum of 3 picks to the draft, but these can include rookie upgrades. McInnerney is a definite upgrade, so that's a minimum of two live draft picks, and a minimum of 3 senior list spots need to be freed up.

Possibly a big list squeeze coming at the end of this year.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Not leaving many list spots for potential up grade to rookies (McInnerney, Hinge & Eagles are either upgrade or de-list), potential trade targets from other teams, or taking picks to the draft.

McInerney is contracted to 2021 and will have to be upgraded to the senior list.

Basti and Bundy definitely gone, as is Hodge. Eagles and Keays seem likely as well unless Keays gets back in the team.

I think one at least of N Robbo, Taylor and Cutler are probably gone more so for more opportunities in a trade than anything else. At this stage I’d guess Squizzy but who knows.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
McInerney is contracted to 2021 and will have to be upgraded to the senior list.

Basti and Bundy definitely gone, as is Hodge. Eagles and Keays seem likely as well unless Keays gets back in the team.

I think one at least of N Robbo, Taylor and Cutler are probably gone more so for more opportunities in a trade than anything else. At this stage I’d guess Squizzy but who knows.
Hinge will also need to be elevated at season's end given he's been on the rookie list for three years or let go.
Edited my post without seeing these replies, but did mention the rookies that need to be upgraded or de-listed in the original version.

knaf

Club Legend
Mar 15, 2008
Standing on Sacred Ground
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Pretty much agree with WA Lion on players likely to be delisted. Need to respect all players that have represented the club, but I think the older guys are going to be under the pump. Hodge, Christensen, Basti and Eagles. Guys like cLyons and Skinner who haven’t played any or much AFL will also be under scrutiny. Also think we might let a fringe best 22 player go for further opportunities. I have liked the vision of Hinge this year but it will be hard for the club to find a spot on the senior list. I guess it depends on how the club views Allison (rookie listed but I assume contracted for next year). Tough calls for the recruitment staff.

On a related point I have really enjoyed seeing Hodge in a Brisbane jumper. Just a pure “footballer” I am going to savour every one on his remaining games.

WA Lion

Club Legend
Jan 27, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Not leaving many list spots for potential up rookie upgrades (McInnerney, Hinge & Eagles are either upgrade or de-list), potential trade targets from other teams, or taking picks to the draft.

We need to take a minimum of 3 picks to the draft, but these can include rookie upgrades. McInnerney is a definite upgrade, so that's a minimum of two live draft picks, and a minimum of 3 senior list spots need to be freed up.

Yeah I was conscious of the list spot issue for certain, if push came to shove I would say Keays and Nick robbo would be vulnerable, but I do suspect a couple will go elsewhere looking for extra opportunity.

Back