The off topic thread 4.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought it was good. What outcome did you get? I thought it was interesting the way he couldn’t really be helped and in the end the best outcome was for him to die on the train with his mum when he was a kid. That was my take anyway

Interesting I didn't get to that ending, I got to the one where the game is a success, amongst a few other endings.

Interesting that you criticise modern day tv so much but then seem to respond to maybe the most meta-/millenial style TV episode out.

I thought it was good. What outcome did you get? I thought it was interesting the way he couldn’t really be helped and in the end the best outcome was for him to die on the train with his mum when he was a kid. That was my take anyway

I think I got them all. First from memory is bashed his dad to death with the ashtray and was sentenced to murder

Interesting I didn't get to that ending, I got to the one where the game is a success, amongst a few other endings.

Interesting that you criticise modern day tv so much but then seem to respond to maybe the most meta-/millenial style TV episode out.
What does that even mean “meta/millennial”?

I don’t criticise everything out there. I just don’t buy into all the hype that’s all.

This is the ending I got, seemed the logical one to me

What does that even mean “meta/millennial”?

I don’t criticise everything out there. I just don’t buy into all the hype that’s all.

This is the ending I got, seemed the logical one to me

Not sure if you're being serious. Are you familiar with a meta text? It's when something is self-referential or self-aware. Within the episode you can select options where the character refers to being in an episode of a show on Netflix, for example.

Millenials are a common term for the current generation of young adults, people born from the very late 80s up to the 00s essentially, anyone who went through adolescence in the new millenium, thus millenials, and seemingly the group you clash with the most when it comes to culture and ideas of what constitute good TV.

Not sure if you're being serious. Are you familiar with a meta text? It's when something is self-referential or self-aware. Within the episode you can select options where the character refers to being in an episode of a show on Netflix, for example.

Millenials are a common term for the current generation of young adults, people born from the very late 80s up to the 00s essentially, anyone who went through adolescence in the new millenium, thus millenials, and seemingly the group you clash with the most when it comes to culture and ideas of what constitute good TV.
I was meaning in the context of the show. Black Mirror is pretty good of what I’ve seen in my opinion. It has depth, and that isn’t something that applies to just the “millennial” generation believe it or not. I’d argue it’s the exception rather than the rule for current TV in fact.

I was meaning in the context of the show. Black Mirror is pretty good of what I’ve seen in my opinion. It has depth, and that isn’t something that applies to just the “millennial” generation believe it or not. I’d argue it’s the exception rather than the rule for current TV in fact.

How much other 'current' TV have you watched of that sort?

And when I say 'of that sort' I mean shows that aren't FTA trash that you seem to continuously mistake for the sort of shows we're talking about.

True Detective? Sopranos? Breaking Bad? Mad Men? Game of Thrones? Fargo? Luther? Bodyguard? I could go on.

How much other 'current' TV have you watched of that sort?

And when I say 'of that sort' I mean shows that aren't FTA trash that you seem to continuously mistake for the sort of shows we're talking about.

True Detective? Sopranos? Breaking Bad? Mad Men? Game of Thrones? Fargo? Luther? Bodyguard? I could go on.
The facts are for the majority of the population TV is still represented by FTA, whether you accept that or not. If only a small proportion are accessing stuff like Netflix than it’s a stretch to say we are in the midst of a golden age of tv and experiencing something culturally relevant. I’ve covered this all before with you.

And ok, there’s probably some good s**t available on streaming services, but those services seem to cater only for these epic dramas. I’m not knocking that entirely as those are shows that carry a lot of weight, but TV (FTA) used to produce a much wider array of entertainment than just drama as I’ve already mentioned, from light entertainment, comedy, current affairs, and indeed drama itself.

The facts are for the majority of the population TV is still represented by FTA, whether you accept that or not. If only a small proportion are accessing stuff like Netflix than it’s a stretch to say we are in the midst of a golden age of tv and experiencing something culturally relevant. I’ve covered this all before with you.

And ok, there’s probably some good **** available on streaming services, but those services seem to cater only for these epic dramas. I’m not knocking that entirely as those are shows that carry a lot of weight, but TV (FTA) used to produce a much wider array of entertainment than just drama as I’ve already mentioned, from light entertainment, comedy, current affairs, and indeed drama itself.

I think you're vastly underselling things like Netflix. Quote me the stats.

They don't just cater towards epic dramas, there's also some brilliant light stuff on there too, but I thought you were after deep, satisfying dramas since that's what you lamented as lacking?

I think you're vastly underselling things like Netflix. Quote me the stats.

They don't just cater towards epic dramas, there's also some brilliant light stuff on there too, but I thought you were after deep, satisfying dramas since that's what you lamented as lacking?
I actually said I wasn’t knocking that, but no one wants to eat the same thing day after day.

Maybe Netflix is growing, it’s probably much bigger with your generation than mine, although I know people with it - both gen x’ers and boomers. The fragmentation of TV will always strike me as a sad thing though as you lose that common shared experience

I actually said I wasn’t knocking that, but no one wants to eat the same thing day after day.

Maybe Netflix is growing, it’s probably much bigger with your generation than mine, although I know people with it - both gen x’ers and boomers. The fragmentation of TV will always strike me as a sad thing though as you lose that common shared experience
I think it's the opposite. Shows are easier to watch simultaneously and the shared experience is stronger than ever.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m currently watching the show Baptiste, a spin-off from The Missing. We get it on BBC First. I assume it’s been on in the UK...
I’ve not seen either show. I’ve heard of Baptiste so I assume it’s on here.

What do you think on that Caster Semenya ruling?

I’ve not seen either show. I’ve heard of Baptiste so I assume it’s on here.

What do you think on that Caster Semenya ruling?

I had to google what it was. I am not pro transgender athletes. As cruel as it sounds, they do have physical advantages that make it unfair on athletes born female.

I had to google what it was. I am not pro transgender athletes. As cruel as it sounds, they do have physical advantages that make it unfair on athletes born female.
I don’t think it’s cruel to think or say that. It’s such a difficult one to assess though. If you want to protect the integrity of women’s sport though I believe it was the correct ruling

Probably yeah.
I mean my pop watches it too and he certainly isn't in the demographic of my friend group.

It's watched by probably hundreds of millions worldwide, so it's strange to say that there is a loss of shared experience.

I mean my pop watches it too and he certainly isn't in the demographic of my friend group.

It's watched by probably hundreds of millions worldwide, so it's strange to say that there is a loss of shared experience.
Maybe I’m underestimating it, but the shared experience is certainly not what it was. Trust me, but discussing what was on television the previous night was one of the first things raised at schools and workplaces up and down the country.

Last job I was in, someone in the team would ask who watched something on the box last night and half the people would invariably not even know the show because they don’t have sky or Netflix or whatever subscription it was shown on. It’s very noticeable when you’ve experienced both these eras

Maybe I’m underestimating it, but the shared experience is certainly not what it was. Trust me, but discussing what was on television the previous night was one of the first things raised at schools and workplaces up and down the country.

Last job I was in, someone in the team would ask who watched something on the box last night and half the people would invariably not even know the show because they don’t have sky or Netflix or whatever subscription it was shown on. It’s very noticeable when you’ve experienced both these eras
Yet when I chat with people, conversations involve “have you seen this on Netflix?”

If I have, then a great discussion is had. If not, then someone has increased my awareness of the show which I possibly never would have seen on FTA.

Also, there was obviously far more on FTA TV back in your day because streaming wasn’t a thing. Where else would you watch anything apart frim
Cinema or at home? And binge watching wasn’t a possibility either.

I chatted to various people at work on Tuesday about GOT, from the analyst who sits next to me, to the AP clerk, to the CFO...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back