Injuries 2019

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Where are all the pseudoscientists complaining about us being the only club who get injuries this week? Our list is about half the size of quite a few clubs
But not half the duration for our soft tissue injuries unfortunately. It takes a fair bit for me to go negative on something and I always base my opinion on what the data tells me and it's still telling me we have a problem preventing and treating soft tissue injuries. It is just my opinion, which I would never expect everyone else to share. To be clear that does not mean I think our S&C are terrible at everything else as well. We seem to have improved ACL prevention (is Starre working with the men's team?) and we are running out games well, so the fitness programs seems to have been done really well also.

BUT... We still have 4 soft tissue injuries on our list without a solid timeframe for return. SHill is getting the Bennell treatment where his timeframe gets reduced by half a week each week. It may as well be TBC to be honest - making all four TBC in reality. Does any other club have 4 or more soft tissue injuries with 5+ week timeframes for return? I did a quick scan of the full injury list and only Essendon has more than one (they have two) - think only 2 other clubs have 5+ week (or TBC) soft tissue injuries currently. Has any other club had at least one or more soft tissue injuries (or repeat injuries) every week for the past 2-3 months? I am frustrated because it seems an area that most other clubs have under control and if we also did we'd have exceptional player availability atm, which would be a huge advantage in staying at the pointy end of the ladder. I know some will make excuses about injury prone players but all clubs have those so I don't think it's a valid excuse to just ignore what the data is saying.

wild side

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2010
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Clay "its free real estate" been a bit quiet lately, if we get touched up this w/end I expect he'll be back

Square Peg

Cancelled
Fremantle Poster of the Year Fremantle Board Tipping Champion
Jul 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Most people are here through the good and the bad aren't they?
Maybe we need a heat map of our own - wins at one end, losses at the other, and number of posts per week after game mapped. Salim Malik is a lock for forward pocket in our dream team

G Mus

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Juventus
But not half the duration for our soft tissue injuries unfortunately. It takes a fair bit for me to go negative on something and I always base my opinion on what the data tells me and it's still telling me we have a problem preventing and treating soft tissue injuries. It is just my opinion, which I would never expect everyone else to share. To be clear that does not mean I think our S&C are terrible at everything else as well. We seem to have improved ACL prevention (is Starre working with the men's team?) and we are running out games well, so the fitness programs seems to have been done really well also.

BUT... We still have 4 soft tissue injuries on our list without a solid timeframe for return. SHill is getting the Bennell treatment where his timeframe gets reduced by half a week each week. It may as well be TBC to be honest - making all four TBC in reality. Does any other club have 4 or more soft tissue injuries with 5+ week timeframes for return? I did a quick scan of the full injury list and only Essendon has more than one (they have two) - think only 2 other clubs have 5+ week (or TBC) soft tissue injuries currently. Has any other club had at least one or more soft tissue injuries (or repeat injuries) every week for the past 2-3 months? I am frustrated because it seems an area that most other clubs have under control and if we also did we'd have exceptional player availability atm, which would be a huge advantage in staying at the pointy end of the ladder. I know some will make excuses about injury prone players but all clubs have those so I don't think it's a valid excuse to just ignore what the data is saying.
We’re carrying 3 absolutely busted players and it’s going to skew the numbers, most clubs have just 1 Shill, Sandi or Bennell not 3

If we had cut Bennell as expected we’d have 1 injury prone talent in Hill (matches with clubs holding a Cockatoo, Deledio, Kreuzer etc) and 1 player on the cusp of retirement who struggles to stay on the park (Morris, SSelwood etc)

Apr 25, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Aren't they just. I actually had a look at some of the key anti-Rossers posting achievements recently, and to put it bluntly, they have neither been solid or strong, and they have clearly not been giving great effort.

Not just the foamers though. With all the bitterness, yelling and pitchforks, there seem to be quite a few "fallen" keyboards. I'm still here as there can still be a bit of insight that you can't get from the Meeja (a big nod to WayToGo and Taylor and the training watchers in particular), but I associate this place with all things toxic rather than a place to enjoy the wins and the small wins (even in a loss, can see player development and great passages of play etc).

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
We’re carrying 3 absolutely busted players and it’s going to skew the numbers, most clubs have just 1 Shill, Sandi or Bennell not 3

If we had cut Bennell as expected we’d have 1 injury prone talent in Hill (matches with clubs holding a Cockatoo, Deledio, Kreuzer etc) and 1 player on the cusp of retirement who struggles to stay on the park (Morris, SSelwood etc)
Yeah and that's the point of contention. I feel like it's us who has busted them so it's our own fault and can't be used as an excuse. Bennell played plenty of games for GC and played Rd 22 of 2015 before we traded him in. We've only managed to get 3 games out of an only 26yo in the past 3+ years. SHill is only 28yo. Ballas 31yo. Hawthorn have something like 10 players on their list over 30yo. How have they been immune to having 'busted players'?

Square Peg

Cancelled
Fremantle Poster of the Year Fremantle Board Tipping Champion
Jul 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yeah and that's the point of contention. I feel like it's us who has busted them so it's our own fault and can't be used as an excuse. Bennell played plenty of games for GC and played Rd 22 of 2015 before we traded him in. We've only managed to get 3 games out of an only 26yo in the past 3+ years. SHill is only 28yo. Ballas 31yo. Hawthorn have something like 10 players on their list over 30yo. How have they been immune to having 'busted players'?

I'm not sure they've been immune.
But for us the factors IMO, in who knows what order, are: travel and its effect on recovery, the demands of the coach's game style, the competence of the S&C/medical teams, and luck.

G Mus

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Juventus
Birchall looks busted and Burgoyne is heading into Sandi territory

Jan 14, 2008
AFL Club
Fremantle

Collingwood have Wells with the same problem as Bennell. Is it Collingwoods or the Kangaroos fault that Wells can't get on the park.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Collingwood have Wells with the same problem as Bennell. Is it Collingwoods or the Kangaroos fault that Wells can't get on the park.
Wells is 33yo and was grabbed by the Pies as a free agent. It also isn't a soft tissue injury issue. I don't think you can really compare that to the Bennell situation. Think Wells is more similar to Kersten where I have no complaints because I don't think it is an injury you can do things to prevent, is it?

Jan 14, 2008
AFL Club
Fremantle
Wells is 33yo and was grabbed by the Pies as a free agent. It also isn't a soft tissue injury issue. I don't think you can really compare that to the Bennell situation. Think Wells is more similar to Kersten where I have no complaints because I don't think it is an injury you can do things to prevent, is it?

Wells is an ongoing calf isn't it?

Jan 14, 2008
AFL Club
Fremantle
Wells was suffering calf injuries at the Kangaroos in 2016 and then the same problems at Collingwood. Wells has been on the injury roundabout with his calf,s longer than Harley . Maybe we should put the blame on Peel as they both played juniors there.

Jan 14, 2008
AFL Club
Fremantle
I thought it was a foot issue. But I could be wrong.

It is afoot problem now but he suffered years with his calf,s.
It's possible that both Harley and Daniel have weak calf,s and it's not a club problem. Just as Moras knees were just not able to sustain the rigours of AFL Harleys calf,s are in the same boat. I think it's not the medics stuffing up but the recruiters not doing due diligence. In saying that I was over moon when we traded him .

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Can't wait for somebody on here to start blaming the club if Sturt's concussions persist (I hope like crazy they don't).
I get what you are saying and I'm not arguing, but concussion is possibly something a club can have an impact on. In the end it is a 360 degree collision sport so concussion can and does happen. But if he had been playing in the best 22 and getting concussed, I'd be wondering what the club was doing asking a lightweight to go in against the big boys.

We have been giving young guys debuts earlier than ideal in my opinion, and I always prefer to see them come in when they can physically handle themselves. Have no idea whether that actually impacts concussion or not mind you. I guess it didn't help Fyfe a couple of games ago.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
I get what you are saying and I'm not arguing, but concussion is possibly something a club can have an impact on. In the end it is a 360 degree collision sport so concussion can and does happen. But if he had been playing in the best 22 and getting concussed, I'd be wondering what the club was doing asking a lightweight to go in against the big boys.

We have been giving young guys debuts earlier than ideal in my opinion, and I always prefer to see them come in when they can physically handle themselves. Have no idea whether that actually impacts concussion or not mind you. I guess it didn't help Fyfe a couple of games ago.
Without knowing for sure I doubt that is true. McCartin and Gus Brayshaw are not rakes, they get hit in the head because of poor technique and some bad luck.

I'd be very surprised if there was any sort of causality link between player size and concussion.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Without knowing for sure I doubt that is true. McCartin and Gus Brayshaw are not rakes, they get hit in the head because of poor technique and some bad luck.

I'd be very surprised if there was any sort of causality link between player size and concussion.
Yes probably right. The ol' noggin wouldn't be altering no matter how big the pecs get.

I was more thinking along the lines of smaller players may be targeted more. A bit like WC clearly did when we were new. Natanui was out to physically hurt and even injure players with that disgusting tackle he was using recently. If he hit up a player of Sturt's build, I shudder.

Vintage

Club Legend
Mar 5, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yes probably right. The ol' noggin wouldn't be altering no matter how big the pecs get.

I was more thinking along the lines of smaller players may be targeted more. A bit like WC clearly did when we were new. Natanui was out to physically hurt and even injure players with that disgusting tackle he was using recently. If he hit up a player of Sturt's build, I shudder.
Somehow I doubt natanui was ever trying to deliberately injure players.

And I’ve never felt small players are targeted more than bigger ones.

Back