Discussion Football (Soccer) Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Some real howlers there . Didn’t like the first one though, that was actually a human tragedy of epic proportions 🤥

Yeah i tried to work out how to delete the first one but i couldnt lol , oh well .

Don’t Panic !!

This is worth a read. Gives a really good explanation of the way top teams play today. A fair chunk of it would apply to AFL and the way teams set up:
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/so...s-philosophies-of-the-past-1.3874358?mode=amp
Now THAT is what sports journalism should be.

Thanks for posting, there is a lot of it that rings true with Aussie Rules as well.

I liked how he called out the old-school pundits for not getting how football has moved on. I also watched that exchange he references between Keane and Neville shaking my head.

I’m quite a fan of Neville’s punditry as he at least understands the modern game and player.

pretty firey first half . Havent watched much of Messi over the years but maybe his nickname should be Mr Sooky after the first half . After one little bump at one stage he became like Neymar rolling over and over trying to get the Liverpool player booked when it was just a little bump . The Baca defender given a yellow card earlier could have just about been given a red for pulling Salah back when he was through to the goals with only the keeper to beat , the defender got off very lightly imo . I will wait to see what the experts say as im no expert as you all know lol . Still Liverpool had chances but just couldnt get the final shot right . Anything could still happen as the way both teams are playing i do expect more goals to come in second half .

Been a very exciting game so far , high class football by both teams . If only Mane had not blown his big chance it could have easily been 1-1 , it was a chance that you would expect him to put away 9 times out of 10.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great game. Lousy result for Liverpool fans. Three-zero, on the balance of play, probably flatters Barca to some degree...... however when chances were presented to Barca they were taken with ruthless efficiency. An early Liverpool goal at Anfield could put the reds back in with a chance, an away goal would have been handy.... to state the bleedingly obvious.

Thus game served as a useful distinction between Good and Great.

Liverpool played a very good game, made Barca look like a bunch of bloated overhyped individuals for most of the match, but the should have known Barcelona were just playing rope a dope...

Barça had the magic moments, the luck and the cutting edge. That Jordi Alba pass to Suarez, that outrageous Messi free kick. That's great.

Feels bad but there's a lesson there.

Thus game served as a useful distinction between Good and Great.

Liverpool played a very good game, made Barca look like a bunch of bloated overhyped individuals for most of the match, but the should have known Barcelona were just playing rope a dope...

Barça had the magic moments, the luck and the cutting edge. That Jordi Alba pass to Suarez, that outrageous Messi free kick. That's great.

Feels bad but there's a lesson there.
Good summary Austinn. Wijnaldum in Firmino's role didn't work but I can see why Klopp tried that. Keita going off seemed to upset the whole balance.
Other than some ordinary finishing, I can't see how we could do much better with the players available.
We're always capable of scoring 3 or 4 but I can't see Barca being contained to zero, so that's the CL gone by the looks of it. So, over to Brendan as our last chance to get some silverware this season.

Good summary Austinn. Wijnaldum in Firmino's role didn't work but I can see why Klopp tried that. Keita going off seemed to upset the whole balance.
Other than some ordinary finishing, I can't see how we could do much better with the players available.
We're always capable of scoring 3 or 4 but I can't see Barca being contained to zero, so that's the CL gone by the looks of it. So, over to Brendan as our last chance to get some silverware this season.

One of the strange quirks of this already fascinating EPL title race is the possible role that ex-Liverpool FC coaches may have in determining the destination of the trophy! “Rafa the Gaffer” up in the North East, and then Brendan Rogers on Monday at the Etihad!

It’s now admittedly a real mountain to climb for LFC to progress any further in the UCL. However, I would not be TOO ready to concede ANY ground just yet..... ( other than a 3-goal deficit ) not with a second leg at Fortress Anfield to come next week. Two quick goals by the Reds and all sorts of possibilities arise! As far as Barca being kept scoreless goes, Virgil and his fellow defenders are capable of doing just that.
As strange as it may sound, the result at St James’ Park will have a crucial bearing on the second leg ( In my humble opinion ) A good win, say by two-three goals can lift the side. A poor result, say a draw, could certainly make the wheels a wee bit less secure on the campaign for silverware.

It’s now admittedly a real mountain to climb for LFC to progress any further in the UCL. However, I would not be TOO ready to concede ANY ground just yet..... ( other than a 3-goal deficit ) not with a second leg at Fortress Anfield to come next week. Two quick goals by the Reds and all sorts of possibilities arise! As far as Barca being kept scoreless goes, Virgil and his fellow defenders are capable of doing just that.
As strange as it may sound, the result at St James’ Park will have a crucial bearing on the second leg ( In my humble opinion ) A good win, say by two-three goals can lift the side. A poor result, say a draw, could certainly make the wheels a wee bit less secure on the campaign for silverware.
Istanbul 2?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back