2nds Official Swans Academy Thread (Player News and Discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

DavyRed

Club Legend
Nov 5, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
One other thing, as an example as how the Academy is a very even team where so many of the boys play for each other, have a look at Mark Sheather’s performance today.

He only picked up three possessions and he certainly wasn’t in the best but my God did he compete. Plays forward but is really there for his pressure plays. Always tackling, always at the bottom of packs, always chasing. One play today where he smothered a kick, tackled the player for a holding the ball and then kicked a goal from the boundary 50 out was wonderful to watch. I was talking to one of the parents (no, not Mark’s ;)) and he quite rightly was really praising the kid’s attitude. Great to see.

tombomb

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 8, 2007
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Watched the u17 v NZ game this morning.

Simply, I think we are going to need a lot of points for both Gulden and Campbell. They look like first round picks to me.

They are similar types of players, small but highly skilled left footers. They looked like the 2 best kicks on the field and would probably already be in the top 5 best kicks in our senior team. Both are very left sided, similar to Jack Macrae but also were capable on the right a couple of times.

Both played similar roles, half forward and wing. Gulden in particular is small, so I assume he was kept out of the midfield as the NZ team are noticeably adult men compared to the U17 australians. Campbell was in for a few centre bounces.

I time coded most of the game where our boys featured (because I am always thinking of others). Some highlights are listed below if people want to have a look at the game on youtube

The 4th quarter in particular was a highlight

Q1

7 - Gulden good kick
14 - Gulden takes 4 bounces and hits the post
25 - Campbell takes contested mark and beautiful kick

Q2

1.40 - Campbell mark and right foot kick
2.45 - Gulden mark and kick, follows up and gets I50
17.35 - Gulden, good right foot kick

Q3

3.10 - Campbell goal
12.40 - Gulden beautiful kick hits man after Campbell free

Q4

7.05 - Campbell good kick in midfield, leads to mark and great goal by gulden
9.15 - Campbell spin and pass, gulden mark ... but just over line.
10.15 - Gulden contested mark and goal.
12 - Campbell high tack and good goal
18.35 - Campbell beautiful kick I50

Last edited:

Ralphyboy

All Australian
May 25, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
I hope there is a good number of swans in the allies and they get to play central roles. In past years the representation has been abysmal. Even if selected they only got a bit part.

The problem lies with the selectors. In the past no sydney person has been on the selection panel which is dominated by kevin sheehan (Victorian) and luke power (Queensland). They also had this ridiculous thing where 5 victorian clubs indicate who they would like to see in the allies. Now that was unbelievably stupid. As a result there would be plenty of queenslanders, boys from southern NSW who go to school in melbourne and tasmanians who go to school in melbourne.

Blood red

Team Captain
Sep 12, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
I hope there is a good number of swans in the allies and they get to play central roles. In past years the representation has been abysmal. Even if selected they only got a bit part.

The problem lies with the selectors. In the past no sydney person has been on the selection panel which is dominated by kevin sheehan (Victorian) and luke power (Queensland). They also had this ridiculous thing where 5 victorian clubs indicate who they would like to see in the allies. Now that was unbelievably stupid. As a result there would be plenty of queenslanders, boys from southern NSW who go to school in melbourne and tasmanians who go to school in melbourne.
Then maybe the talent scouts should take a drive and have a look what is going on at NEAFL.
I couldn't agree with you more.
It's a complete joke.

Ralphyboy

All Australian
May 25, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Thank goodness you have been able to play against the tac sides this year. Even that phantom draft guy "knightmare" is now showing interest in the sydney boys and acknowledging the lack of interest in the past. Of course if the recruiters were really serious they would watch the academy kids when they get a run in neafl. Much faster and much bigger bodies who are in the system.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Watched the u17 v NZ game this morning.

Simply, I think we are going to need a lot of points for both Gulden and Campbell. They look like first round picks to me.

They are similar types of players, small but highly skilled left footers. They looked like the 2 best kicks on the field and would probably already be in the top 5 best kicks in our senior team. Both are very left sided, similar to Jack Macrae but also were capable on the right a couple of times.

Both played similar roles, half forward and wing. Gulden in particular is small, so I assume he was kept out of the midfield as the NZ team are noticeably adult men compared to the U17 australians. Campbell was in for a few centre bounces.

I time coded most of the game where our boys featured (because I am always thinking of others). Some highlights are listed below if people want to have a look at the game on youtube

The 4th quarter in particular was a highlight

Q1

7 - Gulden good kick
14 - Gulden takes 4 bounces and hits the post
25 - Campbell takes contested mark and beautiful kick

Q2

1.40 - Campbell mark and right foot kick
2.45 - Gulden mark and kick, follows up and gets I50
17.35 - Gulden, good right foot kick

Q3

3.10 - Campbell goal
12.40 - Gulden beautiful kick hits man after Campbell free

Q4

7.05 - Campbell good kick in midfield, leads to mark and great goal buy gulden
9.15 - Campbell spin and pass, gulden mark ... but just over line.
10.15 - Gulden contested mark and goal.
12 - Campbell high tack and good goal
18.35 - Campbell beautiful kick I50

You are doing the lords work here.

Sidenote, what weird and wonderful position will Longmire decide to play Gulden? I mean he is an inside mid who wins a tonne of ball so I am guessing Longmire will turn him into a small forward.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans

Sidenote, what weird and wonderful position will Longmire decide to play Gulden? I mean he is an inside mid who wins a tonne of ball so I am guessing Longmire will turn him into a small forward.

Is he inside? From Davyred’s comments he sounds more outside given they have indicated to look at the other players feeding the ball to him.

Either way, again, what he is at junior level (particularly so given his size) isn’t a firm indicator as to how he would be utilised at AFL level.

Blood red

Team Captain
Sep 12, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney

He is an outside mid that positions himself well to get a tonne of ball.
He will get in the cue with the other small draftees waiting for his chance.

DavyRed

Club Legend
Nov 5, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Is he inside? From Davyred’s comments he sounds more outside given they have indicated to look at the other players feeding the ball to him.

Either way, again, what he is at junior level (particularly so given his size) isn’t a firm indicator as to how he would be utilised at AFL level.
Yep, he’s not really an ‘in and under’ contested ball winner if that’s what you mean. He’s more the first or second receiver (and sometimes runner onto the loose ball) type player. In my view.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

tombomb

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 8, 2007
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney

I thought Campbell looked more like the inside midfielder. Gulden reminded me a bit of Andrew Gaff. Neither spent a lot of time in the centre though.

It all really depends on whether Gulden grows at least a 5 cms .

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
1556854787297.png

DavyRed

Club Legend
Nov 5, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Nice article on Kyle Martin - been at the Academy since he was 9 years old :) :)
https://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2019-05-03/academy-martin-kicks-his-way-to-the-top
Good article! As mentioned in the article, he’s an excellent kick. Distance, accuracy and he always seems to select a great target. Also one of the best footy brains in the team and works his backside off every game.

Having said all that I do think that he might struggle to get into the Allies though. He’s not a flashy player and doing the basic stuff well might not grab the attention of selectors. Hopefully l’m wrong and some of the selectors have more insight than the basic “ooh, he’s tall and kicked some goals” :rolleyes:

Blood red

Team Captain
Sep 12, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Think the Geelong Falcons team might be in for a bruising.
A few Swans know they need to have blinders to be Allies.
So the opposition standing in their way might be cannon fodder.
The mids will have fun with the Geelong 201cm ruckman though.

Blood red

Team Captain
Sep 12, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Good to read about Martin. Not the usual hyped player, but as most in the team that plays well and is team oriented.
What's anyones take on draftable academy talent for this year?
Who could Swans take to replace retiring players, remembering that in 2020 draft they will also grab the 2 x 17s from this year.. so a small wing/ fwd and also a small mid/goal kicker.
Where are the swans holes, and who in the academy fills those shoes?

No idea mate, but I hope someone replies because I love reading about these young guys.

Just a quick thanks to Blood red, DavyRed, tombomb, Ralphyboy and more recently RUNVS for all you posting and keeping us up to date! It's great, thanks :):thumbsu:

Edit: missed a couple.. oops!

Back